• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2019 1:25 am
[OP]
Mar 21, 2016
67 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V 5.1 Speaker System

rarely we will see sale on Bose 5.1 speakers.
Will get 100$ off on speaker system with most of the receivers.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/de ... r/13502117
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/so ... r/10661741
20 replies
May 14, 2009
152 posts
15 upvotes
I’m interested in this one, Amazon Canada has same deal 699, not sure Bose Canada got better deal than this?? looking for receiver as well.
May 14, 2009
152 posts
15 upvotes
I’m interested in this one, Amazon Canada has same deal 699, not sure Bose Canada got better deal than this?? looking for receiver as well.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15714 posts
2340 upvotes
Wow, they still make these things?
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Feb 27, 2009
893 posts
819 upvotes
Buy
Other
Stereo
Equipment

or else you'll have a

Bad
Or
Sad
Experience
Dec 14, 2008
710 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
yellman wrote: Buy
Other
Stereo
Equipment

or else you'll have a

Bad
Or
Sad
Experience
BOSE quality is fine. It's good, actually. You pay a lot more than other brands but they're kind of like the Apple of the audio world. For someone just jumping in that doesn't want complications of the audiophile world, it's a good option, even.
Feb 27, 2009
893 posts
819 upvotes
Apple makes good quality products

Bose however
Highly overrated company that manufactures inferrior audio components that fail to compete with equipment in a pricerange that undercuts many Bose products tenfold.

Paper cones, 'secret' frequency response, and wide gaps in the crossover dynamics make for muddy and empty sound with high distortion in the upper ranges coupled with limited bass response from the 'bass module,' which is little more than 3 small drivers arranged in a sequence.
No highs, no lows, must be Bose!
Nov 17, 2013
926 posts
158 upvotes
WINNIPEG
This has been around for 20+ years? How's the sq of the speakers? Detailed? Sub digs deep?
JAC wrote: Wow, they still make these things?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2983 posts
2902 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
JAC wrote: Wow, they still make these things?
People who don't know how much they're missing out keep buying them. Most of the clueless have switched to soundbars though.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3331 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: People who don't know how much they're missing out keep buying them. Most of the clueless have switched to soundbars though.
what is your recommendation for around 300?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3089 posts
1585 upvotes
West Coast
I'm just dipping my toes into building a surround system. There are so many options out there I don't really even know where to start.

Was contemplating Sonos due to the simplicity of it all, but know there are better options out there and wired will best wireless in performance.

Anyone have some suggestions in the 1k ish range?
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Sep 23, 2014
646 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Richfields wrote: I'm just dipping my toes into building a surround system. There are so many options out there I don't really even know where to start.

Was contemplating Sonos due to the simplicity of it all, but know there are better options out there and wired will best wireless in performance.

Anyone have some suggestions in the 1k ish range?
Alot of discussion in this thread about using JBL speakers for home theater set-up.
Last edited by LockAndKey on Dec 29th, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 7, 2019
48 posts
52 upvotes
Price in the title would be appreciated. Thanks!
Mar 27, 2010
147 posts
19 upvotes
I got Sonos playbase and Play 1 speakers for rear few weeks ago and I was wondering if I should return them for this Bose system but seeing by the comments here that could definitely be a bad idea.

When I test the audio of Sonos it's pretty good. However when I watch a movie from Netflix or Amazon prime, there is hardly any sound coming from the rear speakers. It's probably more to do with how the 5.1 is coming from Netflix/Amazon to Sonos. I just couldn't figure how to tweak this yet. I'll see if this changes after setting up Fire stick and playing movies out of that.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3089 posts
1585 upvotes
West Coast
kool_buddy wrote: I got Sonos playbase and Play 1 speakers for rear few weeks ago and I was wondering if I should return them for this Bose system but seeing by the comments here that could definitely be a bad idea.

When I test the audio of Sonos it's pretty good. However when I watch a movie from Netflix or Amazon prime, there is hardly any sound coming from the rear speakers. It's probably more to do with how the 5.1 is coming from Netflix/Amazon to Sonos. I just couldn't figure how to tweak this yet. I'll see if this changes after setting up Fire stick and playing movies out of that.
Isn't there an app for the Sonos that allows for boosting specific speakers?
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3089 posts
1585 upvotes
West Coast
LockAndKey wrote: Alot of discussion in this thread about using JBL speakers for home theater set-up.
Thank you, I'll take a look
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15714 posts
2340 upvotes
yellman wrote: Apple makes some good quality products and a lot of shit, too

Bose however
Highly overrated company that manufactures inferrior audio components that fail to compete with equipment in a pricerange that undercuts many Bose products tenfold.

Paper cones, 'secret' frequency response, and wide gaps in the crossover dynamics make for muddy and empty sound with high distortion in the upper ranges coupled with limited bass response from the 'bass module,' which is little more than 3 small drivers arranged in a sequence.
No highs, no lows, must be Bose!
FTFY. BOSE makes some decent noise-cancelling headphones, from what I've heard. But everything I've read about their speakers is that they're rubbish.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4174 posts
1263 upvotes
Vancouver
kool_buddy wrote: I got Sonos playbase and Play 1 speakers for rear few weeks ago and I was wondering if I should return them for this Bose system but seeing by the comments here that could definitely be a bad idea.

If you want to actually ‘calibrate’ a sound system, you should be measuring the sound pressure level with a test tone from where you’re sitting and it should be consistent across all speakers.

The lack of sound coming from a 5.1 soundtrack is not indicative of a problem. There isn’t always sound coming from the rear channels. A gun fight scene is normally a good demo for surround sound.
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8633 posts
1090 upvotes
Friends don't let friends buy Bose. No highs No lows, must be Bose.

The two above phrases were mainly created because of the acoustimass and lifestyle systems they made. Most of their towers, even though were expensive sounded ok.

Here's a good link (paragraphs in), within this article there's a link at intellectual.net that no longer exist. Formally that particular link had provided all the frequency measurements of these cube style speakers.

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/t ... 0705250301