[Best Buy] Bowflex 552 Dumbbells $599

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2020 3:56 pm
[OP]
Feb 14, 2017
242 posts
147 upvotes

[Best Buy] Bowflex 552 Dumbbells $599

I've been looking everywhere for these and keep hoping to grab a pair at Costco but no luck. This price seems pretty steep but still comparable/maybe slightly cheaper than Kijiji.
Last edited by TomRFD on Dec 15th, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
43 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2017
1252 posts
2531 upvotes
Toronto
Might as well buy it from Kijiji if you’re going to pay a mark up. At least you’ll get a stand as a bonus
May 28, 2007
309 posts
248 upvotes
CALGARY
these always look scary to me.
Would you guys trust it 2 feet above your face?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
4157 posts
2699 upvotes
dealzhuntr wrote: BestBuy should be prosecuted for pandemic price gouging. These use to sell for $249

amazon-ca-bowflex-552-dumbbells-249-99-2238394/
But how can you be sure that they are ones that are gouging? If the manufacturer and distributor are charging more and Best Buy's mark-up % remains the same, it isn't gouging on their part. There may be other factors affecting increased pricing too. Or maybe it is gouging, but it isn't really fair to point the finger at one link in the chain unless you can be certain.
Jun 26, 2019
333 posts
812 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote: But how can you be sure that they are ones that are gouging? If the manufacturer and distributor are charging more and Best Buy's mark-up % remains the same, it isn't gouging on their part. There may be other factors affecting increased pricing too. Or maybe it is gouging, but it isn't really fair to point the finger at one link in the chain unless you can be certain.
kaiseki wrote: You clearly don't understand the basics of supply and demand.
This is a deal website. Paying 2X the regular price is SIMP behavior.

Do you also buy a PS5 from a scalper for $1500?
[OP]
Feb 14, 2017
242 posts
147 upvotes
dealzhuntr wrote: This is a deal website. Paying 2X the regular price is SIMP behavior.

Do you also buy a PS5 from a scalper for $1500?
But $599 is not 2x the price? Maybe you are mistaken for prices of single dumbbells?
If you look at Kijiji people sell these sets for ridiculous prices, even in the 800s.
I agree this price isint amazing but it's still better than kijiji (price wise, using cc to extend warranty, etc)
Banned
Dec 6, 2020
34 posts
49 upvotes
Montreal
kaiseki wrote: You clearly don't understand the basics of supply and demand.
We are in the middle of a pandemic; this is price gouging and profiteering.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1841 posts
448 upvotes
Calgary
iggy666 wrote: We are in the middle of a pandemic; this is price gouging and profiteering.
Dumbbells aren't an essential pandemic-related good like masks, sanitizer, and other prevention/survival-related products. This is simply a premium due to higher demand.
Jun 26, 2019
333 posts
812 upvotes
LoveDealios wrote: But $599 is not 2x the price? Maybe you are mistaken for prices of single dumbbells?
If you look at Kijiji people sell these sets for ridiculous prices, even in the 800s.
I agree this price isint amazing but it's still better than kijiji (price wise, using cc to extend warranty, etc)
These use to sell for $249 for a PAIR. Sometimes on Black Friday or Boxing Day they would sell as $199 for a PAIR.

In the USA, they've sold these for as low as $35 or $69 as a SINGLE ($89 CAD or $175 CAD for a PAIR) to get rid of the old revision with defective plastic clips.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13530256-singl ... t-b-m-ymmv
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2652 posts
776 upvotes
North York
I just bought these which are probably made in the same factory as Bowflex ones since they look and function the exact same way. Cost from Novalook was around $450 after tax with free shipping and free ab roller too.

https://www.novalook.ca/product-page/no ... -ab-roller

You need to check their site to see if your home address falls into the free shipping area.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4397 posts
469 upvotes
dealzhuntr wrote: These use to sell for $249 for a PAIR. Sometimes on Black Friday or Boxing Day they would sell as $199 for a PAIR.

In the USA, they've sold these for as low as $35 or $69 as a SINGLE ($89 CAD or $175 CAD for a PAIR) to get rid of the old revision with defective plastic clips.

you might as well as use your time machine to stop covid in the first place.
Sep 11, 2012
258 posts
32 upvotes
BRAMPTON
waiting on a decent priced pair as well for a while. Amazon themselves had them about a week ago for the same price but it is OOS presently.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6774 posts
2745 upvotes
Montreal
dealzhuntr wrote: These use to sell for $249 for a PAIR. Sometimes on Black Friday or Boxing Day they would sell as $199 for a PAIR.

Again, supply and demand.
More people wants to workout from home.
I never thought id make a home gym, been training for 16years in a commercial one. I just spent almost 2.5k ln home equipments in the past couple of months. If not of the lockdowns, I would have never spent a dime. No doubt there are a lot of people like me.

Also, your prices are from 2018, do you have a time machine? Im not defending Best Buy, this is just how capitalism works.
Dec 2, 2020
89 posts
176 upvotes
cleardevil wrote: And when i posted that deal @ $249, i didn't even get any upvotes and just had people complaining about the product LOL
Was it $249 for the pair or just 1?