47 posts
36 upvotes

[Best Buy] Bowflex 552 Pair of Dumbbells $299 ONLINE ONLY

16 replies
Nov 15, 2003
85 posts
54 upvotes
Terrace
How does this compare to other adjustable dumbbells?
Mar 26, 2010
163 posts
102 upvotes
tallshorty wrote: How does this compare to other adjustable dumbbells?
can’t compare to other sets but i have this and it’s ok if u need a quick workout

the worst part about these is the bars are very wide so even if ur using 25lbs it’s full width so the dumbells get in the way of each other when say ur doing bench press or even curls

it’s great for saving space though if u need a quick pump
Apr 11, 2003
681 posts
156 upvotes
Edmonton
I can’t comment on these, but I have the PowerBlocks and I feel I would prefer these. The square shape of the power blocks means they’re awkward to put down unless you’re doing it from above. Depending on where you’re grabbing them from they are awkward to pick up compared to a round/bar style. It’s probably one of those ‘you’ll always prefer the one you don’t have’ kind of thing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5088 posts
3850 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
netwise wrote: I can’t comment on these, but I have the PowerBlocks and I feel I would prefer these. The square shape of the power blocks means they’re awkward to put down unless you’re doing it from above. Depending on where you’re grabbing them from they are awkward to pick up compared to a round/bar style. It’s probably one of those ‘you’ll always prefer the one you don’t have’ kind of thing.
I always read in these threads that the powerblocks are the superior of the two, but I have the selecttech 1090s and they're my favourite piece of gym equipment. It's true that they're awkward at first, but once you get used to them they're great.

I don't find that they get in the way because of their size. I love using them for dumbbell presses, especially incline. My shoulders are fahked so I can't use my barbell for incline presses.

If my 1090s broke tomorrow, I'd be buying replacements right away.
Apr 9, 2006
591 posts
211 upvotes
I got these recently and got a really good deal thru Oshawa sportchek. Stacked so many discounts and used CT gift card. Probably paid less than 250 after tax. Yes it’s sitting in the basement now. It’s wide indeed and if u want to do bench press well u better turn and touch their sides.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4333 posts
728 upvotes
Edmonton
Don’t buy these. Power blocks excel in many ways. Bowflex need the stand to change weights. The stand can break. The bar is always long and the 90s it’s huge. The weight is not always balanced. I own power blocks. Did a 6 months trail of bowflex and hated them in many ways.

If the set was $150 sure steal of a deal but if price is okay well your getting an okay product.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Oct 16, 2008
441 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
Max_Dealing wrote: Don’t buy these. Power blocks excel in many ways. Bowflex need the stand to change weights. The stand can break.
I think you mean the base, not the stand. The stand isn't necessary, the base holds the weight not used.

I bought these earlier this year and really liked them. As some have mentioned, they are a bit bigger but you get used to it. I also like the fact that they feel like a dumbbell. For the price, you can't go wrong as PowerBlocks would be much more expensive for similar weight.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4333 posts
728 upvotes
Edmonton
Power block 50s go one sale for $300 as well. I really disliked bowflex but to each their own. Tried them both for long term and kept the powers.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2716 posts
615 upvotes
Scarborough
Heard good things about PB but my 552s have been working great. You just need the base to change weight. Stand not required. But having a stand so that your not crouching to pickup and put down the weight is a huge upgrade.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
4943 posts
3978 upvotes
Ottawa
Max_Dealing wrote: Power block 50s go one sale for $300 as well. I really disliked bowflex but to each their own. Tried them both for long term and kept the powers.
The powerblock urethane models are the one to get, but they ain't cheap.
Aug 18, 2011
161 posts
73 upvotes
I got these and over paid for mine (459/pair). I like them alot and have had no issues.
Jun 26, 2019
330 posts
810 upvotes
I hate the fact that this is not posted in Hot Deals. I thought the Boxing Day deals subforum was just going to be used for flyers and not actually deals...
[OP]
Apr 17, 2010
47 posts
36 upvotes
2FBFE9D9-62E6-4C54-A5E5-D2A7EA288742.jpeg
2FBFE9D9-62E6-4C54-A5E5-D2A7EA288742.jpeg
dealzhuntr wrote: I hate the fact that this is not posted in Hot Deals. I thought the Boxing Day deals subforum was just going to be used for flyers and not actually deals...
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3074 posts
1685 upvotes
Toronto
netwise wrote: I can’t comment on these, but I have the PowerBlocks and I feel I would prefer these. The square shape of the power blocks means they’re awkward to put down unless you’re doing it from above. Depending on where you’re grabbing them from they are awkward to pick up compared to a round/bar style. It’s probably one of those ‘you’ll always prefer the one you don’t have’ kind of thing.
Powerblocks beat these - I used to have the 552's and the powerblock is much easier to handle and more comfortable, not to mention longevity.

That being said - if price is major determining factor these are cheaper and will get the job done for awhile
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3192 posts
869 upvotes
Mississauga
I have both bowflex 552 and powerblocks. The Bowflex have some smaller incremental weight combinations that my PBs don't have, but the Bowflex have failed a few times and with the plate nearly nailing my foot or head. Bowflex are mostly plastic which over time wears down and can fail. PBs have never failed me and they are made of metal. This is my personal experience.