Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable 5-53lb Pair of Dumbbells $499.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2021 4:03 pm
Jun 7, 2017
19 posts
50 upvotes
NineOne wrote: I've posted about this elsewhere, but I have the Bowflex 552s and the Novalook 90lbs adjustable dumbbells. I use both all the time and I really can't come up with a reason to spend more on the Bowflex version. The Novalooks are plainer looking, but I actually prefer the metal grip of the Novalook to the Bowflex rubber grip (that might be a weight thing, I haven't seen Bowflex 1090s in person).
Glad to hear - I'm gonna grab the 90lb pair but just waiting for them to come back in stock :(
Oct 19, 2009
521 posts
529 upvotes
toronto
So Novalook is a Canadian brand in Guelph? That is good to know to give them some support.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2006
6224 posts
10188 upvotes
Ontario
eforblue wrote: So Novalook is a Canadian brand in Guelph? That is good to know to give them some support.
Just buyer beware especially in terms of safety. This Bowflex User cautioned the use of Bowflex. But even more so with fakes (without the backing of a publicly traded company like Nautilus - Bowflex's owner)

"A no name dumbbell, use it with even more caution, don't hurt yourself."

2 RFD'ers at the end of that thread complained about Novalook's customer service.

Sounds like you get excellent service from Bowflex as mentioned above by @Jackji in post #10.

The more I look into the fakes, the more I feel uneasy. I found it strange that some pictures posted by RFD'ers show the dumbbells are not even branded as "Novalook" (as pictured on Novalook's site) but it just shows the word "Dumbbell". I can see if there was a safety issue, Novalook will claim those are not their dumbbells and you're sh*t out of luck.

Bowflex have unique serial #'s for traceability for potential recalls. I doubt you get that with fakes.

Jan 8, 2007
192 posts
48 upvotes
Nucks wrote: Most of us could train our whole life and have a personal chef and we still wouldn't come close to looking like that.
For females 24 lbs might be sufficient, however if you're going to spend the cash to pay for adjustable dumbbells you might as well go for models that have higher weight capacity. If you're going for that low weight capacity and are forced to a max weight, save the money and just get a few stand-alone dummbells IMO.

I guess you could always re-sell the 24 power power block, but you could do the same thing with the stand-alones and it'll be less bulky than the power blocks
I agree with this assessment. I just started working out again after 2 years (SL5x5) and my first Overhead press (sitting with dumb bell due to ceiling height issues) was with 22.5lbs dumb bells. So I've already blown past the 24lbs power blocks on my second OHP. Better off just buying some spinlocks with 1" plates.
Jul 5, 2018
351 posts
1479 upvotes
kiiaal wrote: Just buyer beware especially in terms of safety. This Bowflex User cautioned the use of Bowflex. But even more so with fakes (without the backing of a publicly traded company like Nautilus - Bowflex's owner)

"A no name dumbbell, use it with even more caution, don't hurt yourself."

2 RFD'ers at the end of that thread complained about Novalook's customer service.

Sounds like you get excellent service from Bowflex as mentioned above by @Jackji in post #10.

The more I look into the fakes, the more I feel uneasy. I found it strange that some pictures posted by RFD'ers show the dumbbells are not even branded as "Novalook" (as pictured on Novalook's site) but it just shows the word "Dumbbell". I can see if there was a safety issue, Novalook will claim those are not their dumbbells and you're sh*t out of luck.

Bowflex have unique serial #'s for traceability for potential recalls. I doubt you get that with fakes.

The following text is an opinion and not a statement of fact (for legal reasons) :

Looks like the knockoff is some Alibaba stuff. Guy likely bought it there and resold it after making up their own fake brand and promoting it. Here's a similar looking one there. Also a knockoff everlast similar one.
Images
  • Screenshot_20210521-090014_Samsung Internet.jpg
  • Screenshot_20210521-090032_Samsung Internet.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2006
6224 posts
10188 upvotes
Ontario
MyUsernameDoesntMatter wrote: The following text is an opinion and not a statement of fact (for legal reasons) :

Looks like the knockoff is some Alibaba stuff. Guy likely bought it there and resold it after making up their own fake brand and promoting it. Here's a similar looking one there. Also a knockoff everlast similar one.
When it comes to having "breakable moveable parts" like these adjustable dumbbells, I'd stick with brand name for safety reasons. Look what happened recently to Peloton Tread Mills. Although Peloton messed up in their initial response, they finally owned up to it (and facing class action lawsuits). If you bought no name fakes, you won't have any recourse.
Jun 29, 2019
95 posts
154 upvotes
How is the waiting time on the official Bowflex Canada website? I know they're saying 10 weeks but does anyone know what the real wait time is? Might as well buy from the official site at the same price.
Oct 22, 2007
795 posts
1039 upvotes
koukone wrote: Glad to hear - I'm gonna grab the 90lb pair but just waiting for them to come back in stock :(
I have a brand new still in box Bowflex 1090's for sale if you want. I bought them but then the 525's came in stock right after so bought those as well. Will otherwise return to the store once lockdown ends.
May 29, 2007
316 posts
19 upvotes
what I don't like about these dumbbells is that the weights can come loose and fall sometimes.
Jul 5, 2018
351 posts
1479 upvotes
kiiaal wrote: When it comes to having "breakable moveable parts" like these adjustable dumbbells, I'd stick with brand name for safety reasons. Look what happened recently to Peloton Tread Mills. Although Peloton messed up in their initial response, they finally owned up to it (and facing class action lawsuits). If you bought no name fakes, you won't have any recourse.
As always: this is an opinion comment and not a statement of fact. (for legal reasons)

I've always been a strong prononent of people being active and doing what they need to be a healthier person. I've posted fitness deals and my opinions on fitness equipment in this forum.

Ultimately I ussually believe whatever gets people exercising is better than the ideal result.  Essentially I know a more focused  training regiment delivers better results than a cookie cutter trainer regiment. But you need to focus on the audience you're speaking to. You can't expect a new person to fitness to do hard programs and stick with it long term. It takes a while to develop routine and overall change a mindset. So I don't like giving negative views on products and instead try to be honest and insightful.

For example when I see a cap bench or whatever bench saying a certain weight I tell people to believe about 60-75% of whatever it suggests since closer to limits equipment can wobble or feel worrisome. You can't workout properly when you're worried your equipment will hurt you.

On the this forum for example I once recommended a bench and weight set from Cap I wouldn't touch personally (because I'm way above this level) for a niche audience (mainly only females who don't have a lot of fitness experience). Because the product had recourse and a real purpose even if it is essentially useless to me.

In regards to products like the ones I showed pictures of this I really don't like it. You get products with very little information and no recourse as you said. If it breaks and a plate drops on your face and you're looking at dental work will the manufacturers be showing responsibility and flying from China to Canada and helping you rehabilitate? As if. They'll ignore and laugh as you for buying their product and them making money on you.

If Bowflex or whatever brand makes trash products that injure people heavily they will be held liable to this eventually as there is some enforcement mechanisms. So it's in their interest to create a mostly solid product. A knock off or one time purchase product has no incentive at all to consider their buyers as there's no recourse.

Compared to the knock off products I listed I'd recommended people instead get a dumbbell set with adjustable collars and weight plates. That way it is a more noticeable product and people can notice issues. I'd feel too nervous personally trusting a random unnamed company like this Alibaba seller who's primary focus is taking people's money and is accountable to no one. They're literally willing to counterfeit a large brand (everlast) with their knock off trash. In many countries that could be considered illegal and get people sued heavily enough to homelessness or bankruptcy. But this seller I mentioned obviously has no fear of stealing a large brands name. If a brand that has a 4 billion pound a year revenue head company can't stop this do you as a small peon at home have a chance at recourse if the product is dangerous?

Obviously not.

Don't buy products like this that can potentially worry you or cause potential injuries if it's made badly. It's not worth it.

Buy something either cheaper you can feel safe with such as an adjustable dumbbell set or get something where there's recourse.
Dec 25, 2017
275 posts
243 upvotes
Vancouver
I have these and would not recommend them. I regret buying this and the stand last year and feel the MX55 at Costco is a better buy. If you have the cash and patience, Ironmaster.
Jun 7, 2017
19 posts
50 upvotes
The__Rock wrote: I have a brand new still in box Bowflex 1090's for sale if you want. I bought them but then the 525's came in stock right after so bought those as well. Will otherwise return to the store once lockdown ends.
Sorry for the late reply, but the novalook ones came back in stock so I ended up grabbing them - thanks though!
May 25, 2021
18 posts
6 upvotes
Note: not trying to convince anybody to get knock-offs but here's my opinion. I decided to save the $200 difference and got knockoff ones that are similar to the bowflex. I think with either one I would always be scared about the weights coming off and damaging my laminate flooring (even with a mat). The weights do come out one way so what I do and it naturally does this for you is ensure the red stripe points to the ground when you do as the weights likely won't fall out that way. Of course I'd still be weary when doing anything with rotating motion.
Sep 18, 2020
51 posts
63 upvotes
The dumbbells from BestBuy are available to be ordered again. Ships out June 2.