Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable 5lb. - 53lb. Dumbbells - $599.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2020 2:05 pm
May 9, 2015
359 posts
149 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
s4weng wrote: I had same thing and Amazon refunded me 1.5 weeks after the expected delivery date thinking it was lost. They told me I can keep it if it ever gets here, which it did.
oh, no... i paid in full, and waited that long.... I was too lazy to call them, missed out on 460 including tax....

EDIT:
amazon-ca-bowflex-adjustable-dumbbells- ... #p32848316
Thanks @s4weng!!! I just called amazon, told them about the one month delay, and they gave me a 35% discount, not as good as a 100% refund, but its something! Its 35% discount pre-tax, so more like 30% discount post tax
this is the amazon customer service number:

The first agent I got was rude, and halfway through the conversation, she said she can't hear me, and just hang up, she did not even try to find my account. The second agent was super nice.
May 6, 2018
206 posts
215 upvotes
desiringdeals wrote: oh, no... i paid in full, and waited that long.... I was too lazy to call them, missed out on 460 including tax....

EDIT:
amazon-ca-bowflex-adjustable-dumbbells- ... #p32848316
Thanks @s4weng!!! I just called amazon, told them about the one month delay, and they gave me a 35% discount, not as good as a 100% refund, but its something! Its 35% discount pre-tax, so more like 30% discount post tax
this is the amazon customer service number:

The first agent I got was rude, and halfway through the conversation, she said she can't hear me, and just hang up, she did not even try to find my account. The second agent was super nice.
You gotta fight for your own money. And good job!
Jan 11, 2009
337 posts
501 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought this on Amazon for $409. Why is BB price so high?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7230 posts
1563 upvotes
Toronto
It would be cheaper to adopt orphans and use them as weights.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
1713 posts
329 upvotes
toalan wrote: It would be cheaper to adopt orphans and use them as weights.
perhaps, but not as convenient; you'd need quite a few sets of orphans to match the number of weight combinations you'd have with the bowflex
Dec 14, 2018
17 posts
33 upvotes
Damn this is crazy. I bought these in December from sportchek for 150 each. So $300 for 2....
This is worse than the face mask price gouging.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2580 posts
3643 upvotes
GTA
BubbaSPX wrote: I bought this on Amazon for $409. Why is BB price so high?
So people will post it in the Hot Deals forum of RedFlagDeals.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7230 posts
1563 upvotes
Toronto
KrayZeeMofo wrote: perhaps, but not as convenient; you'd need quite a few sets of orphans to match the number of weight combinations you'd have with the bowflex
You only need 1 weight setting, your 1 rep max for dumbell press.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3988 posts
2925 upvotes
Calgary
Normally I wouldn't chime in these threads as each to their own. Since its corona days with gyms still closed (or limited times) & even BB are price gouging on weights, I'm gonna throw in my $0.02 & suggest picking up a coupla kettlebells. I'm not gonna do the homework for u as to where & how much, but I can honestly say its gonna cost way less than this bowflex adj dumbells set. Bonus is its a far (far far...) better workout.

Wanna improve cardio? Do KB swings.
Wanna jump higher? Do KB swings.
Wanna strengthen your back/legs/core? Do KB swings.
Want buns of steel? Do KB swings
Want strong posterior chain? Do KB swings.

Want strong shoulders? Do KB presses
Want a strong anterior chain? Do KB cleans
Want ultra strong core? Do Turkish Getups + Bent Press
Want really strong legs? Do KB weighted Pistol Squats

Wanna be Secret Service strong? Do SS Snatch Test ie. 200 snatches (24kg men & 16kg women) in 10mins
Don't believe that KBs can improve cardio, muscular endurance to the max? Do the 10000 swings challenge.
Wanna be really (I mean really really) strong? Do the 48kg KB Beast Challenge ie. Pistol Squat, 1 arm clean & press, pull up...all done with a 48kg KB
Want your entire home gym to take up a tenth of your smallest closet? Stack 2 KBs.

There are many many more KB exercises but the above will suffice. One only need 2 KB, usually 16kg /24kg or 24kg/32kg for most men. That's it. If one can do the 10000 swing challenge & SS snatch test & beast challenge (called Iron Maiden cos its the women's standardFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye) all with a 24kg KB, u'll be ready for almost any real world challenges & stronger than 99% of all mankind (or peoplekind for the PC folks).

No it won't beef u up like a bodybuilder but then, neither will the bowflex dumbbells.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
scotsum wrote: Normally I wouldn't chime in these threads as each to their own. Since its corona days with gyms still closed (or limited times) & even BB are price gouging on weights, I'm gonna throw in my $0.02 & suggest picking up a coupla kettlebells. I'm not gonna do the homework for u as to where & how much, but I can honestly say its gonna cost way less than this bowflex adj dumbells set. Bonus is its a far (far far...) better workout.

Wanna improve cardio? Do KB swings.
Wanna jump higher? Do KB swings.
Wanna strengthen your back/legs/core? Do KB swings.
Want buns of steel? Do KB swings
Want strong posterior chain? Do KB swings.

Want strong shoulders? Do KB presses
Want a strong anterior chain? Do KB cleans
Want ultra strong core? Do Turkish Getups + Bent Press
Want really strong legs? Do KB weighted Pistol Squats

Wanna be Secret Service strong? Do SS Snatch Test ie. 200 snatches (24kg men & 16kg women) in 10mins
Don't believe that KBs can improve cardio, muscular endurance to the max? Do the 10000 swings challenge.
Wanna be really (I mean really really) strong? Do the 48kg KB Beast Challenge ie. Pistol Squat, 1 arm clean & press, pull up...all done with a 48kg KB
Want your entire home gym to take up a tenth of your smallest closet? Stack 2 KBs.

There are many many more KB exercises but the above will suffice. One only need 2 KB, usually 16kg /24kg or 24kg/32kg for most men. That's it. If one can do the 10000 swing challenge & SS snatch test & beast challenge (called Iron Maiden cos its the women's standardFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye) all with a 24kg KB, u'll be ready for almost any real world challenges & stronger than 99% of all mankind (or peoplekind for the PC folks).

No it won't beef u up like a bodybuilder but then, neither will the bowflex dumbbells.
I think it's great for people who don't suffer from muscle imbalances and want a full body workout, but for who do have these problems it can actually exacerbate them, and since each kettlebell exercise uses a wide range of muscles many issues can get worse at once.

With dumbbells and resistance bands you can do unilateral exercises and target just one or a few specific muscles, which is something I haven't found kettlebells to be good at.

I guess for people like me depth is more important than breadth in a workout, as I need to deal with weaknesses in specific places in order to be stronger overall, else I'll just be overusing and underusing certain muscles.
Jun 27, 2017
324 posts
146 upvotes
Ottawa
Ordered mine from Amazon at the beginning of the month and had a shipping label created last week but no update since. Very strange. I might have to complain to Amazon and see what I can get but it was only an estimated delivery date so will have to wait a while longer.
Last edited by TheCheapCDN on Jul 17th, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7740 posts
765 upvotes
Vancouver
pineapplesuck wrote: too bad 53 lbs is a little light.
more than adequate for most unless you looking to get super Kali swole and aint no tampon boy, but 599 come on, 459 come on, more like 149
How can I be broke when I am saving so much?
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13289 posts
4622 upvotes
checked last night, sold out

checked now, bought a pair

now sold out again...

thanks op!
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Apr 24, 2005
116 posts
33 upvotes
GTA
TheCheapCDN wrote: Ordered mine from Amazon at the beginning of the month and had a shipping label created last week but no update since. Very strange. I might have to complain to Amazon and see what I can get but it was only an estimated delivery date so will have to wait a while longer.
Ordered mine from Amazon a few weeks ago, out for delivery today. For sure contact them and get a discount.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3988 posts
2925 upvotes
Calgary
loserga wrote: I think it's great for people who don't suffer from muscle imbalances and want a full body workout, but for who do have these problems it can actually exacerbate them, and since each kettlebell exercise uses a wide range of muscles many issues can get worse at once.

With dumbbells and resistance bands you can do unilateral exercises and target just one or a few specific muscles, which is something I haven't found kettlebells to be good at.

I guess for people like me depth is more important than breadth in a workout, as I need to deal with weaknesses in specific places in order to be stronger overall, else I'll just be overusing and underusing certain muscles.
U get no argument nor even a debate from me. There's no single panacea & as the saying goes "there's many ways to skin a cat".

That said, to a degree, all of us suffer from muscular imbalances as that's life. Eg. the grip will always with no exceptions, lag behind the rest of the arm, nevermind the body. The issue is how to solve that. The law of specificity dictates that to improve squats, do squats (lots of it infact). Same with bench press, pull ups, et al. If isolating a body part is the goal, then do exercises that isolate it.

The real world however throws curve balls & wrenches at us usually at inopportune times. Does a large awkwardly weighted box care about weak muscle groups when we have to carry them? Does roofing a house care that we only train in gyms at specific times? Does pushing a car (&or large heavy object) care that we don't have a wall/bench behind our back to brace so we can push? I was a gymrat for a very long time until one day (after a painful sprain) I asked myself why am I doing this? To get strong & fit is answer I gave. Then I remembered Tucker Carlson's infamous puppy dog query to his numerous guests & I quote...."what does that (even) mean?". That took me quite a while to answer.

For me (& I only speak for me), its to get strong enough & fit enough so I can take on all of life's challenges - accidental, inopportune, deliberate or otherwise. For that, I need enough strength, muscular endurance, cardio & flexibility to perform as a whole. While I definitely cannot say that KB training is IT, I can say with personal experience that its the most efficient form of GPP (general physical preparedness) that I have encountered. Within 1/2hr, I can pound out 200-300 swings plus a grind (clean&press, turkish getup, snatches which technically is a combo of grind&ballistics). Thats it & I'm prepared for my day of work &or play.

It's no skin off my back so I'm not here to promote nor convince. Everyone has to determine their own path. As a fellow RFD'r, I'm just sharing my personal experiences in this difficult time of social distancing & limited gyms/workout options. For sure, KBs are not for everyone but more choice is better than less choice, wouldn't u say?
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
tdracer wrote: So now best buy has jumped on the price gouging bandwagon. Manufacturer website is 459.

Way to stick it to the customer.

We're all in this together.....except you.
I've never understood why people feel bad for these businesses. Oh no a pandemic these businesses are losing so much money i feel so bad for them. You know they have made millions right? It's why I don't care if I return a used product to a store.
Sep 3, 2008
274 posts
114 upvotes
I ordered yesterday and it was delivered today, that was fast. They gave me no time to change my mind lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
scotsum wrote: U get no argument nor even a debate from me. There's no single panacea & as the saying goes "there's many ways to skin a cat".

That said, to a degree, all of us suffer from muscular imbalances as that's life. Eg. the grip will always with no exceptions, lag behind the rest of the arm, nevermind the body. The issue is how to solve that. The law of specificity dictates that to improve squats, do squats (lots of it infact). Same with bench press, pull ups, et al. If isolating a body part is the goal, then do exercises that isolate it.

The real world however throws curve balls & wrenches at us usually at inopportune times. Does a large awkwardly weighted box care about weak muscle groups when we have to carry them? Does roofing a house care that we only train in gyms at specific times? Does pushing a car (&or large heavy object) care that we don't have a wall/bench behind our back to brace so we can push? I was a gymrat for a very long time until one day (after a painful sprain) I asked myself why am I doing this? To get strong & fit is answer I gave. Then I remembered Tucker Carlson's infamous puppy dog query to his numerous guests & I quote...."what does that (even) mean?". That took me quite a while to answer.

For me (& I only speak for me), its to get strong enough & fit enough so I can take on all of life's challenges - accidental, inopportune, deliberate or otherwise. For that, I need enough strength, muscular endurance, cardio & flexibility to perform as a whole. While I definitely cannot say that KB training is IT, I can say with personal experience that its the most efficient form of GPP (general physical preparedness) that I have encountered. Within 1/2hr, I can pound out 200-300 swings plus a grind (clean&press, turkish getup, snatches which technically is a combo of grind&ballistics). Thats it & I'm prepared for my day of work &or play.

It's no skin off my back so I'm not here to promote nor convince. Everyone has to determine their own path. As a fellow RFD'r, I'm just sharing my personal experiences in this difficult time of social distancing & limited gyms/workout options. For sure, KBs are not for everyone but more choice is better than less choice, wouldn't u say?
Absolutely, and I can also attest to the efficiency of KB exercises. It's just that sometimes maintaining proper (or safe) form and posture through these movements is something beyond what your muscles allow you to do, and so you actually need to target your weaknesses before you can maximize the impact of some workouts.

It took me a lot of trial and error, constantly referring back to videos and diagrams, to actually familiarize myself with the proper movements of a kettlebell swing, and in hindsight realized that I was using all the wrong muscles for most of my attempts. It was then that I realized that not only was my muscle imbalance contributing to incorrect posture, but it was also being reinforced by the exercise.

What I hope is that people don't fall over themselves to try out these exercises then forget to stop and pay attention to what their body is telling them. As you said there is no single panacea, and sometimes doing movements without an understanding of how they work can cause bodily harm.

I'm definitely looking forward to learning more kb exercises once I sort out my more serious muscle imbalances. In the meantime though, it looks like body weight exercises and resistance bands are the way to go unless I get my hands on more reasonably priced dumbbells.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2004
1015 posts
607 upvotes
@loserga and @scotsum are a model example of how RFD'rs can have healthy discourse from 2 opposing opinions without anyone needing a flame-retardant suit.

I think we all came out of this a little better, a tad more informed from their inputs on KB vs DB.

Wish more RFD thread discussions went this way.
Heatware (11-0-0)
Spongeboy