Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable 5lb. - 53lb. Dumbbells - $599.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2020 2:05 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3990 posts
2932 upvotes
Calgary
loserga wrote: ...sometimes maintaining proper (or safe) form and posture through these movements is something beyond what your muscles allow you to do, and so you actually need to target your weaknesses before you can maximize the impact of some workouts.

It took me a lot of trial and error, constantly referring back to videos and diagrams, to actually familiarize myself with the proper movements of a kettlebell swing, and in hindsight realized that I was using all the wrong muscles for most of my attempts. It was then that I realized that not only was my muscle imbalance contributing to incorrect posture, but it was also being reinforced by the exercise.
Sometimes its worth paying for a few personal training lessons. A pro can spot & catch improper form (which btw is important in all forms of exercises). Another suggestion is to start with a lesser KB weight. Sometimes (or maybe most times) our egos get caught up esp when we're used to gym machines or even free weights. Strangely the weights we can normally & perhaps easily do may not transfer as easily to KBs. I discovered that while machines & other limited motion/isolating exercise target our strongest muscles (thereby allowing the largest weights to be lifted), KBs target the weakest. KBs are a full body full range natural motion workout which by design will target the weakest link in the chain. That's just physics.

Another suggestion is perhaps to get some wall mirrors so u can watch your movements or perhaps easier & cheaper, just record it on the phone or gopro (or whatever clone). Once u watch yourself, u'll have a much better idea of posture & form. IMO ofcos.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
scotsum wrote: Sometimes its worth paying for a few personal training lessons. A pro can spot & catch improper form (which btw is important in all forms of exercises). Another suggestion is to start with a lesser KB weight. Sometimes (or maybe most times) our egos get caught up esp when we're used to gym machines or even free weights. Strangely the weights we can normally & perhaps easily do may not transfer as easily to KBs. I discovered that while machines & other limited motion/isolating exercise target our strongest muscles (thereby allowing the largest weights to be lifted), KBs target the weakest. KBs are a full body full range natural motion workout which by design will target the weakest link in the chain. That's just physics.

Another suggestion is perhaps to get some wall mirrors so u can watch your movements or perhaps easier & cheaper, just record it on the phone or gopro (or whatever clone). Once u watch yourself, u'll have a much better idea of posture & form. IMO ofcos.
Once things normalize I'll probably sign up for a few lessons with my gym's trainer. There's many things I like about staying at home, but having to figure out posture on my own isn't one of them.

I also noticed right from the start that KB exercises were unlike anything I'd done up to that point, as I found myself sweating within a few swings. As for the KB weight, I've noticed that if I go too light I don't get the feedback that my body expects, and the reaction to control the weight isn't there. The same thing's happened to me with other type of weights. I don't know if I need to work more on control or whether this is natural, as my workout experience only goes back to last summer. While I figure this out I can also rely on resistance bands and tubes to target my smaller muscles. Kettlebell swings have definitely been a learning experience for me, as I wouldn't have gotten a better understanding of my muscle weaknesses without trying to do them right consistently.

I do all my exercises and stretches in front of a wide vanity mirror, as there's no space for a wall mirror. Definitely going to record myself more as my body weight exercises force me onto the floor.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3990 posts
2932 upvotes
Calgary
@loserga If you're serious about KBs & want a coupla sessions with a trainer, go to Strongfirst & find a trainer near u. They specialize in KB training & IMHO will be multi times better than the ubiquitous trainer at your local gym.

I'm no trainer nor expert & am only a KB exponent. While KB exercises seem simple, its only simple cos it mimics real life full range motions. We do alot of the same daily except without weights. When a KB is introduced, the smaller stabiliser muscles are bought in play bcos its the weakest link. Machines & other limited/restricted motion exercise are great for the bigger stronger muscles involved in that limited motion but does nothing for the stabilizers we use in our daily life. This is what is termed as "gym strength" vs "real world strength" or "pretty boy strong" vs "farm boy strong". Not only that, the farm boy does it all day while the gym boy runs outta steam after a coupla minutes.

Even a simple KB swing, when done correctly, involves a push, a pull & a ballistic movement all in one. The equivalent in barbells are the Olympic lifts except KBs does it one handed & involves the eccentric phase as well while the Oly lifts just dumps it on the floor. Bcos of the additional momentum of gravity, the eccentric phase is even harder & involves using the muscles as an instant brake on the accelerating weight. This is why posture & form are crucial in KB training.

This isn't the thread to be technical but here's a few tips. Learn to "pack" your shoulders & use core "dynamic tension" throughout the entire motion including time under tension. Also learn to keep the spine (most peeps call it the back) straight & only use the hip hinge to power the swing. The hip hinge is the fundamental core of the posterior chain & is likely the most powerful natural human motion. We use the hip hinge for jumping, kicking, running, deadlifts, squats, oly lifts & most other power movements (including sexFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye).

The arms are only utilized as a pendulum to hold the KB & used to decelerated the KB (with shoulders packed) on the eccentric phase. The legs are used as a foundation for the hip hinge & does not add power for the swing. Bcos of the thickness of the handle & the unbalanced nature of KBs, the wrist & grip are strengthened by default.

If one has to learn & do only 2 exercises, the KB swing & KB snatch are the kings of KB workout. Do 200 swings & 50-100 snatches daily & even jujitsu exponents might find it difficult to take u down Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1946 posts
1199 upvotes
KrayZeeMofo wrote: perhaps, but not as convenient; you'd need quite a few sets of orphans to match the number of weight combinations you'd have with the bowflex
Easily adjustable, just starve or feed grease poutine according to your desired weight.
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
<unnecessary>
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2015
5333 posts
7187 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights…
How much are these going for in Eastern Canada on Marketplace
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2018
1242 posts
1338 upvotes
Holy crap, I thought these were the ones that go up to 100lbs

I ordered these from the Bowflex site when they had free shipping and were on sale for like $250.

They are great but this is steeeeep.
Jan 7, 2007
267 posts
472 upvotes
Ottawa
toalan wrote: You only need 1 weight setting, your 1 rep max for dumbell press.
Ah, but max changes, improves... plus:
  • you may want more reps for safety- if you can do 12 reps before exhaustion, move up. If you can't do 9, move down.
  • different moves for different muscles need different weights.
May 5, 2012
163 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yikes. I got these a year and a half ago for $323 taxes included (on an ebay store). I'm pretty certain I found the deal here on RFD.

$599 seems ludicrous!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7230 posts
1563 upvotes
Toronto
Trottier wrote: Ah, but max changes, improves... plus:
  • you may want more reps for safety- if you can do 12 reps before exhaustion, move up. If you can't do 9, move down.
  • different moves for different muscles need different weights.
You just ruined the beautiful idea of using orphans as free weights with your "reality"
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Mar 1, 2019
55 posts
62 upvotes
Not sure why there are so many downvotes. I agree that the price isn’t ideal compared to the price of what other people purchased in the past. The point is, these weights are hard to come by during these times and you can purchase them “slightly” cheaper than most of those being listed on Kijiji. Maybe this price is the new norm? These times are uncertain and no one knows if the price for these dumbbells will increase or decrease in the near future. We’re all rolling the dice when it comes to purchasing these dumbbells, and IMO, for those who need/want these NOW, it’s a reasonable (but not ideal) price considering the times we are in. Again, up to you if you want to roll the dice. Thanks OP!
Sep 14, 2008
796 posts
117 upvotes
Vancouver
I have those old school dumbbells going up to 70 lbs and its adequate for most exercises but god is it an absolute pain in the rear end to keep adjusting them. I also have a 54 lb kettle bell but that's been too heavy for me to do the Kettlebell excercises correctly as a beginner
I've had my eyes on the PowerBlocks dating back to the first week of COVID lockdowns and they basically never came back in stock and when I saw it briefly in stock, the price had really been jacked up.

Fitness forums seem to prefer the Powerblocks to the Bowflexes - anyone have any other opinions? In the end, it feels bad (in RFD spirit) to spend $600+ for fancier dumbbells when I already own a pair. But I groan EVERY time I have to adjust them and it's death by a thousand cuts 5 times a day x 6 days per week
Dec 25, 2018
837 posts
1747 upvotes
chilli604 wrote: How much are these going for in Eastern Canada on Marketplace
I sold mine with stand for $900 which is way more than I paid for them years ago! Lol. Going to rebuy when it goes back down to normal price
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13296 posts
4633 upvotes
its like most things, you pay extra for the convenience

there are always things that are cheaper that does the same job

at the end of the day, $680 isn't that expensive
Nucks wrote: Fitness forums seem to prefer the Powerblocks to the Bowflexes - anyone have any other opinions? In the end, it feels bad (in RFD spirit) to spend $600+ for fancier dumbbells when I already own a pair. But I groan EVERY time I have to adjust them and it's death by a thousand cuts 5 times a day x 6 days per week
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Feb 21, 2008
203 posts
498 upvotes
Just a heads up: Price is showing as $579.98 now. I contacted Best Buy live chat and they refunded me the $20 difference off the $599.99 price. Still major wallet ouch.
Feb 6, 2011
46 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
motorhead wrote: Just a heads up: Price is showing as $579.98 now. I contacted Best Buy live chat and they refunded me the $20 difference off the $599.99 price. Still major wallet ouch.
I wonder why they decided to decrease the price by $20 after they sold out.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)