• Jul 21st, 2017 3:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4922 posts
3908 upvotes
Edmonton

[Best Buy] Canon 6D DSLR + 24-105mm F/4L IS USM Lens Kit - Open Box $2000

This is an excellent price for a Canon 6D with 24-105 Lens. Best buy open box has full warranty and same return policy as new cameras. Add item to cart to see the $1999.99 price

Kijiji prices are are about $2000 for this kit so you are paying a little more (tax) to get new item with warranty.

I am aware that the rumor mill says that the 6D version 2 is coming out this year. I would still that this deal is excellent for $2000 and the 6D is still as relevant a camera as it was in 2012.

I have posted open box deals from Best buy before and it always goes on tangent discussions about DSLR and Mirrorless. I think both systems have their merits, I have owned multiple DSLRs and Mirrorless systems and found pros and cons in each. In the end I stick with DSLRs for enthusiast photography and mirrorless for casual walk around or family photos.
Last edited by fatestkid on Jun 3rd, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
33 replies
Mar 9, 2005
763 posts
100 upvotes
I picked up an open box from Best Buy online back in November and I paid $1519.99 for the same kit. The 6d was new, had a shutter count of like 12 if I recall.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4922 posts
3908 upvotes
Edmonton
Pepsidewd wrote: I picked up an open box from Best Buy online back in November and I paid $1519.99 for the same kit. The 6d was new, had a shutter count of like 12 if I recall.

Was this at the same time as the 70D price error? Because most of the time the price goes between $2000-$2350 for the open box kit. I've never seen it for $1520
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Apr 1, 2009
146 posts
33 upvotes
As of 24-Jun-2017 the price has dropped to $1899 for the same open box kit. I placed an order at this price. I've been waiting on this camera long enough and don't need a further price drop. I can't afford the new 6D Mark II, I am too heavily invested in Canon lenses to bother with another manufacturer, I like the durability of Canon, plus I can navigate a Canon with a blindfold on. It's a win-win for me!
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13662 posts
7358 upvotes
Southern Ontario
6D's are tanks, I put them through snow, rain, sand, and no qualms standing in the lake waist-deep getting splashed multiple times, pretty good for just ONE centre-point cross:

Opposite direction (I'm in the lake!)

I sold both mine, $1300 and $1500, sometimes you can find used ones for less.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3447 posts
585 upvotes
Hamilton
I've been slowly starting to look for a 6D to replace my 40D, and they have been going for on average 1300-1400. You can even find some in the 1100-1200 range. I'm hoping when the 6D mkII comes out original 6D owners will want to trade up and even more used 6Ds hit the market.
Apr 1, 2009
146 posts
33 upvotes
adblink182 wrote: I've been slowly starting to look for a 6D to replace my 40D, and they have been going for on average 1300-1400. You can even find some in the 1100-1200 range. I'm hoping when the 6D mkII comes out original 6D owners will want to trade up and even more used 6Ds hit the market.
At $1899 + tax this comes with a 12 month parts and labour warranty. It also comes with a 28--105 L F4 lens which is not bad. I could sell the lens for $500 all day long and the camera after tax will cost me $1645 for a new camera instead of someone's used, possibly dropped, camera with no warranty. Plus I get travel points for using a CC, and an extra warranty from the CC company. For me a used 6D would have to sell for $800 to make it worth it at this price, and looking at Canon values, I doubt that will happen for some time. The 5D MK II has sellers asking $1300 and it's older than a 6D...to each his own.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13662 posts
7358 upvotes
Southern Ontario
voidmain wrote: At $1899 + tax this comes with a 12 month parts and labour warranty. It also comes with a 28--105 L F4 lens which is not bad. I could sell the lens for $500 all day long and the camera after tax will cost me $1645 for a new camera instead of someone's used, possibly dropped, camera with no warranty. Plus I get travel points for using a CC, and an extra warranty from the CC company. For me a used 6D would have to sell for $800 to make it worth it at this price, and looking at Canon values, I doubt that will happen for some time. The 5D MK II has sellers asking $1300 and it's older than a 6D...to each his own.
Not technically new. Someone bought a Bestbuy "Open Box" A6000 in the other thread and it had dents.
ymmv, it could be new, it could be someone who used it for a weekend wedding in the rain without a sealed lens.

My first used 6D was bought as a kit with a few extra accessories, after selling everything off, I was left with a body for $1200. My 2nd used 6D was absolutely mint with 4K actuations, I paid $1300. You're right in regards to your comment about the 5DII, Canon is like Apple for resale. As per my post above I sold mine for $1300 and $1500 so I actually made money.

The 24-105 f/4 Mark I is soft compared to others, the radius is short from 24-50 which means you really have to be precise in that range, and it creeps (zooms on its own) when the lens is angle down. It is surpassed in sharpness (and brighter) by a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8, sharper even cropped at 70mm to make it 105:

There's nothing wrong with buying used if you know what to look for, buy low, sell high. There's also nothing wrong if you want that peace of mind for 12 months, but it cost $345 extra based on your calculations.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5403 posts
3466 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: 6D's are tanks, I put them through snow, rain, sand, and no qualms standing in the lake waist-deep getting splashed multiple times, pretty good for just ONE centre-point cross:

Opposite direction (I'm in the lake!)

I sold both mine, $1300 and $1500, sometimes you can find used ones for less.
I have a 6d. I agree. It is a tank.

I have been sprayed by snow while I was taking pics of the heli coming to pick us up on a heli boarding trip. Taken it to sand buggy and blasted with sand.

Also once it took a tumble down some steep concrete stairs. Probably about 15 steps before stopping on a concrete landing.

Scratched on the corners near the grips, lens corner scratched, had an nd filter on at the time. It was smashed. Besides that, the camera still works great and lens 24-70 f2.4 That was 4 years ago. Still going strong.

Unless my current 6d dies, I'm probably not going to upgrade. The only thing I want from the mark II is the additional cross points. But I've gotten used to only 1.
Apr 1, 2009
146 posts
33 upvotes
I agree with you about your comment on the 24-105 lens, and it has been mentioned by others. Still, I will never buy off brand lenses since they have to reverse engineer the Canon logic. I'm not a photographic expert and can't be bothered tinkering with the best "version/iteration" of a Tamron/Sigma to out do a Canon. I constantly read about people sending their off brand lenses back hoping for better QC in the next order. In the end, the Canon is a decent lens but I will end up selling it for $500 which is a fair price. So then the $345 extra also includes my time. I can't be bothered scouring the used market looking for a good camera, only to see that it's for sale on the other side of the city. So not worth it unless the price is $800 or less which then justifies the loss of time to traffic and to my family.
AncasterRFD wrote: Not technically new. Someone bought a Bestbuy "Open Box" A6000 in the other thread and it had dents.
ymmv, it could be new, it could be someone who used it for a weekend wedding in the rain without a sealed lens.

My first used 6D was bought as a kit with a few extra accessories, after selling everything off, I was left with a body for $1200. My 2nd used 6D was absolutely mint with 4K actuations, I paid $1300. You're right in regards to your comment about the 5DII, Canon is like Apple for resale. As per my post above I sold mine for $1300 and $1500 so I actually made money.

The 24-105 f/4 Mark I is soft compared to others, the radius is short from 24-50 which means you really have to be precise in that range, and it creeps (zooms on its own) when the lens is angle down. It is surpassed in sharpness (and brighter) by a Tamron 24-70 f/2.8, sharper even cropped at 70mm to make it 105:

There's nothing wrong with buying used if you know what to look for, buy low, sell high. There's also nothing wrong if you want that peace of mind for 12 months, but it cost $345 extra based on your calculations.
Jan 12, 2015
25 posts
4 upvotes
Madden, AB
thanks for bumping this....was actually looking for a deal for a friend
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13662 posts
7358 upvotes
Southern Ontario
voidmain wrote: I agree with you about your comment on the 24-105 lens, and it has been mentioned by others. Still, I will never buy off brand lenses since they have to reverse engineer the Canon logic. I'm not a photographic expert and can't be bothered tinkering with the best "version/iteration" of a Tamron/Sigma to out do a Canon. I constantly read about people sending their off brand lenses back hoping for better QC in the next order. In the end, the Canon is a decent lens but I will end up selling it for $500 which is a fair price. So then the $345 extra also includes my time. I can't be bothered scouring the used market looking for a good camera, only to see that it's for sale on the other side of the city. So not worth it unless the price is $800 or less which then justifies the loss of time to traffic and to my family.
True, sometimes when you get a newer generation body, the 3rd party lens doesn't work well, may have focus issues e.g.; 35mm ART on 5DIV.

I bought my Tamron 24-70 actually off another RFDer here, I wanted it for the f/2.8, testing it on the spot, images were just so much crisper than my 24-105 Mark I. I wonder if 24-105 Mark II replacement is improved?

fwiw, I no longer have the Tamron and replaced it with a Canon 50 f/1.2. Some people aren't comfortable buying used, that's understandable. I've seen both sides, I bought an open box 5DIV, my 2nd 5DIV was used, mint with screen protectors, less than 3K count, paid $3500, I gladly drove to another city for that one.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14151 posts
4636 upvotes
Toronto
The Canon 24-105L is considered to be very mediocre for an 'L' series lens. I wouldn't doubt that the Tamron 28-70 f2.8 blows it away. Whenever I used the Canon 24-105 it never impressed me much. I'd much rather use the 50mm f1.8 which costs a fraction of the price, but apples vs. oranges.
May 9, 2008
535 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
BTW Canon just announced the 6D Mark II