Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Canon EOS RP Mirrorless Camera with 24-105mm Lens - $1399 (Save $200)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2020 9:39 am
May 13, 2015
803 posts
1105 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
mr_yellow wrote: Hmmm...

Is there a better "budget" upgrade for a t4i owner? I assume I'll have to spend an extra 50-100 for the EF adapter for my lenses. I mainly concerned with shooting indoors with kids. Looking for better autofocus speeds and portability...

Also, can this camera use EF-S lenses? I got a few.

Thanks,
if you want a budget upgrade for your t4i... I would go with the Canon M series (their crop sensor mirrorless).

While your EF-S lenses will technically work on an RP with an adaptor, it crops the image so it will only be like a 10 megapixel image. So even though it will work, you wont want to use EF-S lenses on an RP. If you have the Canon 50mm f/1.8... that's an EF lens designed for full-frame... so that lens would work fine with an adaptor.

But the M series is a lot cheaper, and even a cheap M series camera will be a lot better than your T4i. Get something with with eye autofocus because it will help with taking photos of kids. Maybe look at the M200.

And with the M series... you can get an adapter and use your EF-S lenses and they will function perfectly.

If you have a lot of EF-S lenses... get an M series with an adapter... if you don't have a nice collection of lenses... then sell everything and buy an M series camera with a the 22mm f/2 M lens. The f/2 will help in low light and it's small.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2270 posts
1768 upvotes
Montreal, QC
BillyBill wrote: if you want a budget upgrade for your t4i... I would go with the Canon M series (their crop sensor mirrorless).

While your EF-S lenses will technically work on an RP with an adaptor, it crops the image so it will only be like a 10 megapixel image. So even though it will work, you wont want to use EF-S lenses on an RP. If you have the Canon 50mm f/1.8... that's an EF lens designed for full-frame... so that lens would work fine with an adaptor.

But the M series is a lot cheaper, and even a cheap M series camera will be a lot better than your T4i. Get something with with eye autofocus because it will help with taking photos of kids. Maybe look at the M200.

And with the M series... you can get an adapter and use your EF-S lenses and they will function perfectly.

If you have a lot of EF-S lenses... get an M series with an adapter... if you don't have a nice collection of lenses... then sell everything and buy an M series camera with a the 22mm f/2 M lens. The f/2 will help in low light and it's small.
I have the original M series camera and yes it is slow for autofocus (improved a little via firmware updates but still nothing stellar), but image quality otherwise is quite nice. And with the lens adapter, I often use it with my 70-300 lens (quite funny with a large lens and tiny camera).
However anyone buying an M series camera, the 22mm pancake lens is a must. It is small, great for low light, and I find it just right for 90% of the shots I want to take. I had hesitated to buy it when if first came out, but I'm glad I did.

The RP would be nice, but not sure I can justify another camera right now.
Nov 19, 2006
131 posts
134 upvotes
Edmonton
The Canon M50 Mark II was just announced today to improve AF but Net already saying overall not a leap change... but price I think didn’t change
May 13, 2015
803 posts
1105 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
Emporium wrote: However anyone buying an M series camera, the 22mm pancake lens is a must. It is small, great for low light, and I find it just right for 90% of the shots I want to take. I had hesitated to buy it when if first came out, but I'm glad I did.
I always recommend that lens... but I don't actually own it. So tempted to get it. But I bought the 32mm f/1.4 with my M6 Mk II... and while the 32mm is bigger and heavier than the 22mm... it's still a relatively small package overall and the image quality is amazing. That combo can really rival full frame cameras with L glass. That lens is really sharp and lets me take advantage of the 32.5 sensor. Shooting at 1.4 gives me lots of light and my images look good even when I bump up the ISO. I have the 24mm EF-S with an adapter... so it's hard to justify getting the 22 since the 32 lives on my camera most of the time.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13222 posts
6994 upvotes
Southern Ontario
mr_yellow wrote: thanks for the feedback. I kinda forgot about the m-series APS-C mirrorless cameras... But the idea of going full frame with great autofocus is tempting... Just tried to have a session with the kids and the ol' t4i and the focus was all over the place. i don't remember it being so bad or maybe my kids didn't move around as much. =)
Try back button focus and AI Servo together. You hold the assigned back button down as you track.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2134 posts
700 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: Try back button focus and AI Servo together. You hold the assigned back button down as you track.
wow! never knew about the back button focus! can't wait to try it out... Thanks!
Aug 11, 2001
363 posts
12 upvotes
I was probably one of the few that got in on this deal. There were 2 left in western Canada when I looked in 2 different towns on Vancouver Island. I ordered both of them and was able to get 1 but my credit card declined the other. I didn't fix it in time before the price changed. The catch was that it was in store pickup only. I was only after the lens but ended up keeping the body too.
mech9t5 wrote: I saw the London drugs deal but did anyone actually get their hands on it for that price? Cause that was definitely a price error. That bundle is $2400.

I would buy it right now if it were below $2000 let alone $1600.
Nov 7, 2017
224 posts
161 upvotes
Edmonton
I bought this from Visions, they have free SD card and free camera bag.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
5333 posts
3350 upvotes
MiKrofT wrote: I was probably one of the few that got in on this deal. There were 2 left in western Canada when I looked in 2 different towns on Vancouver Island. I ordered both of them and was able to get 1 but my credit card declined the other. I didn't fix it in time before the price changed. The catch was that it was in store pickup only. I was only after the lens but ended up keeping the body too.
lucky you. I am not out west so couldn't even try.