Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Chromecast Audio $20

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2019 12:32 pm
Jan 10, 2008
243 posts
263 upvotes
quebec
cheapshopper wrote: my local content are MP3 / FLAC.
I don;t think "screen Cast" will work.
I do have Google Home. but seem like I can't play my local FLAC to CCA.

Otherwise I will have a old tablet with big SD-card as my FLAC player device.
As I said, I own them since they release and really move them, Mainly use for Spotify.

I am seeing when they will release CCA 2, may be support Lostless? or Extreme quality on Spotify?
BubbleUPnP is the best player.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
dracolnyte wrote: I just realized my google home mini can cast to my bluetooth sound bar, so saved $20!
Bluetooth destroys music. On a soundbar it might not matter.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
scotsum wrote: as the other 2 posts indicated, one can certainly hook up CCA to any form of amplifier with either RCA or 3.5mm inputs. that said, do be aware that optical would not work as one would need a DAC post optical - in this case, CCA is acting as a transport only without any DAC functions.

honestly folks, CCA makes rigging up a wireless streaming rig easy & more importantly, CHEAP!
many use CCA with an FDA. The audio stays digital all the ways until just before hitting the speakers. Some would complain the audio is too pure!
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2008
1126 posts
1793 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
Marklxndr wrote: Ymmv, but I've had a pair of these for about 2 years or so, and every once in a while they completely disappear and can't be reset at all. The only thing that revives them is cycling power on my modem and router and setting them up again as new devices. It's been a real headache.
vudeshie wrote: Same here. But as I have an older receiver so that was the only option.
It just disappears from the Google home screen or in Google music occassionally
Real pain. Oh well. Have to compromise till I get a new Network receiver with audiocast built in
Have you set them up with a static IP (assigned via router config)? I had the same problem with CCAs and smart plugs until I did this. Haven't had a single drop since on any of those devices.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1772 posts
484 upvotes
Montreal
bogolisk wrote: many use CCA with an FDA. The audio stays digital all the ways until just before hitting the speakers. Some would complain the audio is too pure!
What's an FDA?
Sep 17, 2016
237 posts
223 upvotes
KW
brghunter wrote: Have you set them up with a static IP (assigned via router config)? I had the same problem with CCAs and smart plugs until I did this. Haven't had a single drop since on any of those devices.
I haven't tried that yet -- I'll set it up tonight and see how it does. It makes sense! Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
bogolisk wrote: many use CCA with an FDA. The audio stays digital all the ways until just before hitting the speakers. Some would complain the audio is too pure!
I dont have any experience with FDA's but it does sound (pun intended) interesting. At the very least, it eliminates the typical DAC stage. Based on my research, CCA measures very well as a transport except for jitter (which btw is a well known negative for sp/dif). IMHO, the true CCA upgrade is to use a master reclocker (such as this iFi SPDIF iPurifier). Seems a lot of money to improve a $20 device but hey, thats what audiophiles do & for that niche, $200 is cheeeeap!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
BobyYoo wrote: What's an FDA?
FDA = Full Digital Amplifier. Its a digital amp with the capability to convert PCM to PWM directly without the use of a DAC. An FDA converts digital PCM (pulse code modulation) directly to PWM (pulse width modulation) which is then used by a PW Modulator to produces a high voltage signal which is filtered to replicate the original audio signal - all in the digital domain.
Nov 28, 2012
65 posts
38 upvotes
GTA
nagooro wrote: Two rooms in my home are wired for in-ceiling speakers, all the wires run down to the utility room in the basement. Could I use this with the speakers? I'm assuming I would need an amp or something as well?
This is something I'm looking into, as well. Looking to give new life to an obsolete Control4 setup.
Jan 21, 2017
988 posts
339 upvotes
why do you guys need 2??? got 1. kinda want one more but can't think of reasons since I only have 1 set of old speakers muhaha.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
6021 posts
3615 upvotes
Toronto
DPR2017 wrote: why do you guys need 2??? got 1. kinda want one more but can't think of reasons since I only have 1 set of old speakers muhaha.
Probably to qualify for free shipping.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
DPR2017 wrote: why do you guys need 2??? got 1. kinda want one more but can't think of reasons since I only have 1 set of old speakers muhaha.
You can set up multiple for whole home or multi room audio.

I had no idea that the CCA could use Optical? Just used the included audio cable. Is there anything special to be set up, or just connect cables and play as usual?
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13239 posts
12068 upvotes
Toronto
If you have a BT speaker with USB + line out, makes a nice clean installation with better sound / range than BT. I use one with my Sony X5.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
jackass_ca wrote: You can set up multiple for whole home or multi room audio.

I had no idea that the CCA could use Optical? Just used the included audio cable. Is there anything special to be set up, or just connect cables and play as usual?
Just connect the cable, but CCA takes the mini toslink not the regular one. In the Home app, IIRC, you can tell Google to send you hires audio. Hires audio sounds different to me but I don't think it's an improvement (so I disabled it.) Maybe I just have cheap equipments.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: Just connect the cable, but CCA takes the mini toslink not the regular one. In the Home app, IIRC, you can tell Google to send you hires audio. Hires audio sounds different to me but I don't think it's an improvement (so I disabled it.) Maybe I just have cheap equipments.
I have a bunch of optical cables with the mini toslink adapter built in, so you can use as regular or mini, will try this this weekend.
Angultra wrote: If you have a BT speaker with USB + line out, makes a nice clean installation with better sound / range than BT. I use one with my Sony X5.

I never even thought of this. I have one the Sony X5s too, with the audio in, and USB power out. Not sure how much better it'd sound, but also takes away the portability in some respects as you MUST have wifi to use the CCA, whereas BT goes where you go.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13239 posts
12068 upvotes
Toronto
jackass_ca wrote: I never even thought of this. I have one the Sony X5s too, with the audio in, and USB power out. Not sure how much better it'd sound, but also takes away the portability in some respects as you MUST have wifi to use the CCA, whereas BT goes where you go.
Yeah, I leave mine plugged in at home as a wifi speaker and can always use BT when away. With really short audio and mUSB cables the CCA is practically integrated into the speaker.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
I own 3 and feel so environmental using up all the mini speaker sets in my apartment. I love the full room feature as it enables me to listen to music loud enough throughout my apartment without bothering the neighbours.

It is in tomorrow's flyer, so the sale should be extended until December 24th (and, presumably, Boxing Day). Although at $20 they are likely to run out.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
Sold out online (in the East).
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2517 upvotes
Halifax
A whole pile of them at Dartmouth Crossing BB.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)