Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Circle with Disney $49.99 ($80 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2019 7:34 pm
Jun 10, 2012
101 posts
48 upvotes
So this device creates a sub-wifi signal? or new signal? or monitors (like a firewall) via profiles (IP)?
Dec 15, 2017
449 posts
463 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the deal, how do you PM at bestbuy the one from amazon?
I love finding and sharing good deals!
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2005
1417 posts
313 upvotes
London, ON
As mentioned, this device is for those people using a router without Disney Circle built in. Since most Netgear router has it built in already, you don't need it if your router is on the list.

After you enable Disney Circle in your router or adding this device to your home network, you can easily control your kids network with their mobile app.
In the app, you need to specify which device is your kids device, and which is your (or your wife's) device, and other 'un-managed' device (like Google Home, etc)
After that, you can set rules for the kids devices, like bed time, daily hour limit, and also choose what type of website to block.

Note, the basic feature (like website block) are free, but some features, like daily limit, requires $50/year subscription.
May 25, 2008
381 posts
294 upvotes
Vancouver
I know I'm comparing apples and oranges here but how does this Disney Circle compare to Cujo Smart Firewall that also have parental control? https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/10757562
I was interested in Cujo before but it was subscription-based so I passed. Then saw it on clearance now.
Cujo has now been discontinued but not sure what they mean by "reborn" and will now use Cylance: https://malwaretips.com/threads/cujo-fi ... orn.89567/
Would really appreciate your thoughts on this.
Dec 8, 2009
476 posts
587 upvotes
Mississauga
zickvon wrote: Note, the basic feature (like website block) are free, but some features, like daily limit, requires $50/year subscription.
THIS!
Jul 2, 2005
484 posts
228 upvotes
Mississauga
dannycheeko wrote: So this device creates a sub-wifi signal? or new signal? or monitors (like a firewall) via profiles (IP)?
It doesn't create sub wifi signal. It acts as a gateway using arp spoofing and allows/blocks traffic on devices you configure. You can also set devices as unmanaged so it ignores them.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks OP. I have one for awhile and yes it is awesome.

The UI is simple yet at the same time offers a lot of useful options. Other than blocking web sites based on category or specific url, you can also block specific things like downloading apps. This way I dont have to create a profile on every single tablets/phones in our home.

The greatest thing about it is that the UI is very easy for a kid to understand. If I want to reward the kids for doing a chore I can show them the Circle app and add the reward in front of them. It may sounds silly but for young kids sometimes that's the only way for them to grab the concept. If I ssh into my network appliance and pull up vi to edit a rule to allow my 7 years old for 30 minutes extra web time she will just say 'whatever' as she has no idea what I am actually doing.

Same with blocked sites and usage time. Just pull up the pages in Circle and they can see themselves how long they have been playing. If I have to do the same by showing them some logs in a /var/log/ dir she will think I just made everything up, as they always think they just have their tablets 'for a few minutes'.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
Before you buy this make sure you read through https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us ... and-Circle to make sure your router is compatible. This device is incompatible with a lot of devices.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Feb 24, 2019
805 posts
1354 upvotes
Slono wrote: Isn’t that like saying, “nice savings on this dishwasher. But a little elbow grease and detergent can do the same for free.”

I hate when people say things like that.
not all all. he's saying you don't need another device because you already own a device capable of doing this. unless you're thinking downloading new software is too difficult...

a better comparison would be like a company trying to sell a router designed for Apple phones. why would you buy that when routers are already designed for all wifi enabled devices?
Last edited by KingMoobot on Mar 18th, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa
zickvon wrote: Note, the basic feature (like website block) are free, but some features, like daily limit, requires $50/year subscription.
This is only applicable to the NETGEAR router with the Circle. The standalone Circle that we are talking about in this thread does not require a subscription to enable the daily limit feature.

The fact that you pay only once and get "lifetime" access to bluecoat is probably what make it a great value. It is easily one of the best and most reliable filtering services out there for this purpose.
Last edited by csi123 on Mar 18th, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 18, 2013
356 posts
186 upvotes
Vancouver
brunes wrote: Before you buy this make sure you read through https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us ... and-Circle to make sure your router is compatible. This device is incompatible with a lot of devices.
TP-LINK
✓ AC1750 Archer C7 v2
✓ AC1750 Archer C8 v1

Ah crap, I read (misread) that and reserved one, but now after checking my router realize I have a TP-LINK C7v1.1

I want to get this parental controls sorted once and for all, can anyone possibly recommend a router I can pick up at Best Buy that's compatible with this? I've been mostly happy with my TP-Link TP-LINK C7v1.1 (only complaint is connectivity is surprisingly weak in the far bedroom in my tiny apartment) so I don't think I need any super high end device.
May 29, 2005
766 posts
302 upvotes
Nepean
Anyone using this on an ASUS AC68R? The AC68U is compatible and some googling says that the R version uses the same firmware as the U version.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa
teemaxx wrote: TP-LINK
✓ AC1750 Archer C7 v2
✓ AC1750 Archer C8 v1

Ah crap, I read (misread) that and reserved one, but now after checking my router realize I have a TP-LINK C7v1.1

I want to get this parental controls sorted once and for all, can anyone possibly recommend a router I can pick up at Best Buy that's compatible with this? I've been mostly happy with my TP-Link TP-LINK C7v1.1 (only complaint is connectivity is surprisingly weak in the far bedroom in my tiny apartment) so I don't think I need any super high end device.
It works with majority of the routers. I dont think you need to worry about it useless you have a router that have a non-standard ARP implementation and is stated explicitly as incompatible.
Dec 18, 2013
356 posts
186 upvotes
Vancouver
csi123 wrote: It works with majority of the routers. I dont think you need to worry about it useless you have a router that have a non-standard ARP implementation and is stated explicitly as incompatible.
I've had my TP-LINK C7v1.1 forever and I haven't been able to even log into the admin console for several months now for some reason, so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy this:

NETGEAR Nighthawk Wireless AC1900 Dual-Band Router (R7000) $170
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ne ... 74544.aspx?

Likely a bit of overkill for my needs but wirecutter has recommended it for a few years now I think (although now the R7000p), and I'll be using it for years so overspending a bit is no big issue.

The question now is, do I still need the seperate Circle box? Apparently the R7000 has circle built in, but someone above said you have to pay a $50/year subscription?

EDIT: I've consolidated the prior relevant comments for ease of understanding:
zickvon wrote: As mentioned, this device is for those people using a router without Disney Circle built in. Since most Netgear router has it built in already, you don't need it if your router is on the list.

After you enable Disney Circle in your router or adding this device to your home network, you can easily control your kids network with their mobile app.
In the app, you need to specify which device is your kids device, and which is your (or your wife's) device, and other 'un-managed' device (like Google Home, etc)
After that, you can set rules for the kids devices, like bed time, daily hour limit, and also choose what type of website to block.

Note, the basic feature (like website block) are free, but some features, like daily limit, requires $50/year subscription.
name777 wrote: THIS!
ezacarias wrote: It doesn't create sub wifi signal. It acts as a gateway using arp spoofing and allows/blocks traffic on devices you configure. You can also set devices as unmanaged so it ignores them.
(I included this one because it's good to know how it physically implements this filtering.)
csi123 wrote: This is only applicable to the NETGEAR router with the Circle. The standalone Circle that we are talking about in this thread does not require a subscription to enable the daily limit feature.

The fact that you pay only once and get "lifetime" access to bluecoat is probably what make it a great value. It is easily one of the best and most reliable filtering services out there for this purpose.
Does "does not require a subscription to enable the daily limit feature" still hold true for NEW purchases of this device is my concern.

EDIT 2 (answering that question):

Feb 26, 2019 review of Circle standalone, confirming full functionality is free:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/review ... ing-system

Documentation of charges for Netgear router integrated Circle requiring fees for time limits, etc:
https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us ... h-NETGEAR-
Last edited by teemaxx on Mar 18th, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa
teemaxx wrote: The question now is, do I still need the seperate Circle box? Apparently the R7000 has circle built in, but someone above said you have to pay a $50/year subscription?
For the NETGEAR with the Circle built-in, you only get the filtering and history. If that's all you need then you dont need the subscription. You missed out on time limit, bed time, usage report, rewards etc.

https://meetcircle.com/netgear

Given you can get the standalone circle for the same price as the yearly subscription, there is no sense to NOT get the standalone version if you want those features.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2005
6292 posts
38091 upvotes
Montreal
amazon's price is now OOS and going through 3rd party sellers.

Thanks for all those that added comments and @teemaxx for the list. Getting one now from BB.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8662 upvotes
GTA
Great product, been using it for a while. I like having a simple button to threaten my kids with when they're acting out or on YouTube for too long. Simple to set up and use.
c'mon get happy!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)