Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Cuisinart PerfecTemp Electric Kettle - $49.99 + FS - Ends Today!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2019 12:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4431 posts
6011 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

[Best Buy] Cuisinart PerfecTemp Electric Kettle - $49.99 + FS - Ends Today!

There are not a lot reviews of this model (only 2), but it's based on the very popular CPK-17. This is the CPK-17UBMC, possibly a Bestbuy exclusive. That CPK-17 model tops the charts on Consumer Reports and the Wire Cutter too: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-home-kettle/

There are reports that build quality might not be great, but this looks like a new model, with fewer buttons and a new lcd display for the temperature. Exact same specs, as far as I can tell.

Maybe someone else has this version? This is the lowest price, so far.

This kettle with a tea infuser is also on sale for $34.99: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ha ... s/12338208

This programmable kettle is $30 on DuoDeal, but it might not have the same quality build as the Cuisinart: https://www.living.ca/p-367871-lb-eks-t ... vingbasics
Last edited by Nikhilvoid on May 30th, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1572 posts
850 upvotes
Vancouver
Some reviews saying the kettle leaks at the base.

Also, tea infuser: who boils their tea?
Dec 17, 2018
258 posts
230 upvotes
Ottawa
We have had the CPK-17 for close to a year. We use it daily. It has not failed on us yet. That said, we bought it low (around $80) on Amazon and spent the few extra dollars to get the extended warranty based on the reviews about the possible leaking, so stay tuned.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4330 posts
4383 upvotes
Vancouver
My mom has had the CPK-17 for a couple of years. She loves it, and it hasn't given her any problems. But the CPK-17UBMC is a different model, so I'm not sure past experience applies.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1044 posts
677 upvotes
Montreal
FYI Don't bother buying the extra "protection"...Cuisinart has a 3 year warranty on virtually all of their small appliances (including this one).
Jun 17, 2003
676 posts
320 upvotes
Toronto
$50 is a great price for an adjustable-temp kettle with a wirecutter thumbs up (although the more bare-bones adjustable-temp Hamilton Beach is regularly $35: https://www.amazon.ca/Hamilton-Beach-40 ... B00U3MCO9K)
There will always be reviews about how something broke, or leaks. It's the Yelp syndrome: % of unhappy customers who write reviews > % of happy customer who write reviews.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5088 posts
3850 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
My mom has a similar model that I bought her. I think I paid $99. It's been great for the past couple of years and she uses it constantly.

I'm tempted to grab this, but my old ass sunbeam is still functioning. Thanks for posting OP!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4431 posts
6011 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
shamans wrote: Some reviews saying the kettle leaks at the base.

I think you push the infuser bucket into the boiled water to start the infusion, so it sits above the boiling water. Lots of people boil tea leaves too.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1572 posts
850 upvotes
Vancouver
Nikhilvoid wrote: I think you push the infuser bucket into the boiled water to start the infusion, so it sits above the boiling water. Lots of people boil tea leaves too.
I was looking at the pic and going "nooooo don't boil your green tea!"
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4431 posts
6011 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
shamans wrote: I was looking at the pic and going "nooooo don't boil your green tea!"
Definitely. I have thrown up after drinking boiled black tea because that extracts too many tannins and induces vomiting. Such a waste of tea.

I was tempted by that expensive Breville Tea Maker and it looks like every manufacturer is trying to recreate it by losing some of the bells and whistles: https://www.amazon.ca/Breville-BTM800XL ... B003LNOPSG
randomroyalty wrote: FYI Don't bother buying the extra "protection"...Cuisinart has a 3 year warranty on virtually all of their small appliances (including this one).
Cuisinart expects you to pay for shipping, I think, so it might be worth to get the $15 for 3 years. I haven't, but I can see the value.
Scote64 wrote: My mom has had the CPK-17 for a couple of years. She loves it, and it hasn't given her any problems. But the CPK-17UBMC is a different model, so I'm not sure past experience applies.
Yeah, the CPK-17 has been Wirecutter's top pick for 5 years or more. I cannot find any information on the damned thing, except for Bestbuy's website. Even Cuisinart doesn't list it, which makes me think it's a Bestbuy exclusive.

I think it might be delivered by tomorrow but the sale would have ended by then. I expect this price to reappear because sales have to be low, given the lack of information and reviews for this model, which has been on the market for maybe 6 months or so?

It has appeared on Bestbuy flyers in the past few months but not for as low as $50. Once it showed up for the regular price of $79.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4431 posts
6011 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
My order just shipped from Richmond and should come tomorrow. Only a few hours left!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3753 posts
270 upvotes
I recall seeing a variable temperature kettle at Costco for $30. That may be a better option for some?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4431 posts
6011 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
tigger03 wrote: I recall seeing a variable temperature kettle at Costco for $30. That may be a better option for some?
https://www.costco.ca/Salton-1.7-L-(57. ... 72190.html

Was it that one? A Salton kettle burned down my friends' apartment in 2014, while they were sleeping. I know that sounds unbelievable, but I still unplug all my appliances with a heating element. The $30 Hamilton Beach is also variable temperature and wirecutter recommended a cheaper hb kettle as a budget pick. Consumer Reports said the cheaper HB was among the fastest too.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7018 posts
2667 upvotes
Calgary
shamans wrote: Some reviews saying the kettle leaks at the base.

Yup. We have had two, both leaked in less than two years. Fancy but didn't last very long.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4431 posts
6011 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
althetrainer wrote: Yup. We have had two, both leaked in less than two years. Fancy but didn't last very long.
Thanks, that's annoying. Was it this model or the silver one? I should maybe get that bestbuy warranty..
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3753 posts
270 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote: https://www.costco.ca/Salton-1.7-L-(57. ... 72190.html

Was it that one? A Salton kettle burned down my friends' apartment in 2014, while they were sleeping. I know that sounds unbelievable, but I still unplug all my appliances with a heating element. The $30 Hamilton Beach is also variable temperature and wirecutter recommended a cheaper hb kettle as a budget pick. Consumer Reports said the cheaper HB was among the fastest too.
Yeah, that's the one. We've had it for over 3 years - no issues.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4431 posts
6011 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I just got it. Seems like it's missing the "keep warm" function. That's the only difference I can think of.

Boiled three full kettles and don't taste any plastic taste. Very fast to warm up enough water for a cup or two.

Also, its temperature range is 85C to 100C, which is too high for green tea (71C). But it shows you the current temperature and you can take it off the heating element at the appropriate temperature.
Nov 14, 2005
371 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Nikhilvoid wrote:
Boiled three full kettles and don't taste any plastic taste. Very fast to warm up enough water for a cup or two.
Is the interior stainless steel or plastic?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4431 posts
6011 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
cynan wrote: Is the interior stainless steel or plastic?
Stainless.