Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] D-Link mydlink Wi-Fi Smart Water Sensor (DCH-S161) $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 7:22 pm
Dec 13, 2005
332 posts
26 upvotes
Mono, Ontario
get a Dome water shutoff valve device to turn off the main water supply into your home when your sensor triggers a water leak.
Last edited by krossfyah on Jan 2nd, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3720 posts
3706 upvotes
Toronto, ON
krossfyah wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 12:02 pm
get a Dome water valve to turn off the main water supply into your home when your sensor triggers a water leak.
This isn't a "valve", it's a device to turn off your existing valve, and it only works if your main shutoff is a ball valve, unfortunately many homes still have only Globe valves for the main shutoff, and it's not common for people to replace them because it requires calling the city to shut it off at the curb.
Dec 13, 2005
332 posts
26 upvotes
Mono, Ontario
many newer homes now use the ball valve to which this would work. and yes this would pair up nicely with a water sensor using Smartthings.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1290 posts
300 upvotes
er34er34 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 12:07 pm
This isn't a "valve", it's a device to turn off your existing valve, and it only works if your main shutoff is a ball valve, unfortunately many homes still have only Globe valves for the main shutoff, and it's not common for people to replace them because it requires calling the city to shut it off at the curb.
Yea, what I did was plumb in a second electric shutoff valve right after the existing one. It was a bit of work, but now when one of my water sensors detect water the shutoff turns off the supply within seconds.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3720 posts
3706 upvotes
Toronto, ON
krossfyah wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 12:09 pm
many newer homes now use the ball valve to which this would work. and yes this would pair up nicely with a water sensor using Smartthings.
Yes, but your post said "get a Dome water valve". The point is, this $100+ device isn't a valve itself, it's merely a connected actuator.
Dec 13, 2005
332 posts
26 upvotes
Mono, Ontario
er34er34 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 12:11 pm
Yes, but your post said "get a Dome water valve". The point is, this $100+ device isn't a valve itself, it's merely a connected actuator.
I edited my post.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3600 posts
1185 upvotes
Montreal
Snowcrash01 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:56 am
This is one of the stupidest things I have ever read. Yes, this is only good if you have access to your house. If you are away on vacation you should have someone coming every few days to do stuff like check for water leaks (this is likely a clause in your homeowner's insurance). There is no way to remotely turn off the water to your house (really?) as they are pipes which all have manual shut-off valves. If you are away you need to have someone who has access to your house that you can contact and have them go over.

The idea for something like this is if you say have a laundry/utility room in your basement with hot water tank, washer dryer, etc. you set up one of the sensors so if something breaks you can quickly address it. If the hose pops out of my laundry machine return it makes a huge mess in the basement and you won't notice until there are inches of water down there. One of these sensors will tell me immediately and I can get down there and either turn off the shut-off for the house or the appliance and get it fixed with minimal damage. Small drips and leaks add up over time and if you put these in problem areas you can fix them.
Not as stupid as this post.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
41557 posts
2555 upvotes
Richmond Hill
er34er34 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 12:07 pm
Install it after the globe valve - that's what I did when I installed my water softener. Since I was working on the pipes anyways, it made sense to put it in.
***Brand New Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB ONLY $220!!***
Silver Coins | Apple TV 4th Gen 64GB | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
6123 posts
453 upvotes
TO
er34er34 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 8:42 am
Water alarm has saved my butt many times over the years.. mine aren't smart sensors, but they have been more than worth it. $40 a piece is a bit steep though, as it buys about 4 non-smart sensors but I get that it gives extra peace of mind if you are away for extended periods.

1. Fridge icemaker line(1/4 pex) leak that miraculously leaked into the laundry room directly underneath(the water line is tee-ed from below). Had a water sensor in laundry room by the drain and it went off.

2. Water heater slow leak, again caught by the sensor.

3. Dishwasher drain pipe crack.
What non-smart sensors would you recommend or bought?
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC ;)
PSA: Virgin Atlantic clubhouse at LAX T-2 only open from 5a-10:30a for LoungeKey/PP club members.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3600 posts
1185 upvotes
Montreal
Word of warning if you live in a condo … I believe a lot of condo associations are looking to make these water leak sensors mandatory. My warning is that you might end up paying for stuff twice if you buy your own and then your condo association insists on installing their own equipment (and obviously charging co-owners for it). Probably worth asking ...
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1071 posts
518 upvotes
Barrie ON
Snowcrash01 wrote:
This is one of the stupidest things I have ever read. Yes, this is only good if you have access to your house. If you are away on vacation you should have someone coming every few days to do stuff like check for water leaks (this is likely a clause in your homeowner's insurance). There is no way to remotely turn off the water to your house (really?)
Well there are a few ways to turn off the water automatically, See LINK

I personally am using the Econet version and it works quite well. Not only will it shut off the water automatically when a sensor detects water, but when I switch my automation hub to "VACATION" mode, it turns off the water immediately before I walk out the door, and sets my lighting to go on and off throughout the night.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1181 posts
257 upvotes
Brampton
Snowcrash01 wrote:
This is one of the stupidest things I have ever read. Yes, this is only good if you have access to your house. If you are away on vacation you should have someone coming every few days to do stuff like check for water leaks (this is likely a clause in your homeowner's insurance). There is no way to remotely turn off the water to your house (really?) as they are pipes which all have manual shut-off valves. If you are away you need to have someone who has access to your house that you can contact and have them go over.

The idea for something like this is if you say have a laundry/utility room in your basement with hot water tank, washer dryer, etc. you set up one of the sensors so if something breaks you can quickly address it. If the hose pops out of my laundry machine return it makes a huge mess in the basement and you won't notice until there are inches of water down there. One of these sensors will tell me immediately and I can get down there and either turn off the shut-off for the house or the appliance and get it fixed with minimal damage. Small drips and leaks add up over time and if you put these in problem areas you can fix them.
Your reply shows who is stupid. So you are happy with something to tell you there is a water leak and not something that can help stop water flow.
Mar 23, 2017
86 posts
49 upvotes
dealerguy wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 2:07 pm
Your reply shows who is stupid. So you are happy with something to tell you there is a water leak and not something that can help stop water flow.
Don't buy it then, it's not for you. I just explained my exact use case, I have feet and hands that can stop the water flow but may not notice the water is leaking even though I'm home until it has already done damage. As others have pointed out there are also some devices that can attach to your shutoff and you could use IFTT to trigger them, but you would still need a water sensor like this one to trigger it.

I fortunately have friends and family in the real world and if I was on vacation I could get someone to shut off the water to my house if i needed it. I may look into integrating one of these shutoff devices as well.