Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

D-Link Wireless AC2600 Dual-Band Gigabit Router $70

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2019 8:20 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
hanmaan wrote: ... The latest firmware I think came out in July, have no experience with it ...
It was released in July 2019. Performance dropped and reboots still occur.
hanmaan wrote: ... - instead now I'm looking for something with a broadcom chipset or at least something ac/ax with better support from DD-WRT or OpenWrt.
Suggest you play it safe and get routers supported by OpenWrt.
OpenWrt appears to have overall better stability, performance and features.
As Charwinger21 already mentioned, the popular developer - Kong has left dd-wrt and now works on routers with OpenWrt firmware.
Cons of OpenWrt, the user interface is not as refined as a typical consumer/dd-wrt router.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1765 posts
835 upvotes
Warlock wrote: It was released in July 2019. Performance dropped and reboots still occur.

Suggest you play it safe and get routers supported by OpenWrt.
OpenWrt appears to have overall better stability, performance and features.
As Charwinger21 already mentioned, the popular developer - Kong has left dd-wrt and now works on routers with OpenWrt firmware.
Cons of OpenWrt, the user interface is not as refined as a typical consumer/dd-wrt router.
If you want the best of both worlds, get a router supported by Gargoyle. It uses OpenWrt as the backend but a much simpler front end. I think it’s called gargoyle because the interface is kinda ugly, but it works better than anything else I’ve used. (Used on an older router,wdr4300) but they make it for many newer routers too.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
funnypanks wrote: If you want the best of both worlds, get a router supported by Gargoyle. It uses OpenWrt as the backend but a much simpler front end. I think it’s called gargoyle because the interface is kinda ugly, but it works better than anything else I’ve used. (Used on an older router,wdr4300) but they make it for many newer routers too.
then you look at atheros or mediatek since gargoyle just a gui for lede/openwrt. the problem with gargoyle they don't keep up with latest additions.

with mtk the problem is always drivers in openwrt

but as you can see its in the git
https://github.com/openwrt/mt76/tree/master/mt7615

Kong for dd-wrt only really made broadcom stuff.

here is a thread on 882
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... &start=150

but I would probably go with broly's dd-wrt builds vs typical available around half way down the very first page of the above link

if you really want to feel what mtk can really work if its possible for padavan I'd try it. I run it on dlink 860l b1 for years now. Otherwise I would only look at lede/openwrt for mtk. Maybe look here for builds for gargoyle if they have become available yet for that soc and gargoyle.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/garg ... yisail.php

but there's maybe a padavan build if anyone is up for the hunt and flashing procedure
https://www.acwifi.net/7629.html use google and translate. Don't own this router but found that link in the dd-wrt thread for 882
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
2443 posts
1043 upvotes
Alivenate wrote: Well they had to install their Fibre Optic network tech at the house before my install was done so I'd say my internet speeds would take a hit. I'll test it out with my laptop plugged directly into the Telus T3200M modem and run it through speedtest and if I'm not experiencing any increase in speed, then maybe I'm SOL.

EDIT: Only got a couple of Mbps increase for download and upload. Didnt want to mess around with the other plugs already plugged in. I'm hoping there's a fix to this and hoping Telus can provide a fix to this without having to buy a router.
Same here. Its only a little bit faster than the crappy telus t3200 but the range is way further on both bands. So far I'm happy with this purchase. The t3200s range was too short and kept cutting out .
Nov 22, 2018
187 posts
91 upvotes
I returned the DIR-882. Believe it or not my Bell HH3K have better range and speed than the DIR-882 at the same location.
The DIR-882 have really poor 5ghz range...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)