Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

[DEAL EXPIRED] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch) DEAL EXPIRED

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2019 3:42 am
May 17, 2013
368 posts
335 upvotes
GWN
Angultra wrote: Can't believe they want $80 for a port of a $20 Wii U game. Is there at least bonus content on the Switch release?
People paid $20? Mine was free from Club Nintendo.
I too think the switch version is overpriced, but Wii U's vanished quickly when they were hacked and it is a the best Nintendo system for that since it can run Wii U, Wii, and Gamecube games all through the HDMI.

If people want to enjoy this game now this is the cheapest route if they only own the switch. Also it looks like many people received a switch for Christmas because the software is really moving this week.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4370 posts
6936 upvotes
Marluxia wrote: That doesn't explain digital sales, which are still always weak and don't compare to Xbox or PS4. Even when the same game is on sale on all the services at the same time, it's more expensive on eShop.
Nintendo's digital prices for the most part are purposely matched closely to physical prices. Including when they go on sale (unless it's digital only games). It's to make sure people continue to go to brick and mortar shops or order physical copies. It's both for higher profit margin as well as to keep retailers stocking Nintendo's stuff. If there's a huge difference between physical and digital, almost everyone would go digital. Look what happened with Steam. When was the last time you walked into ebgames, best buy, walmart, etc. and bought a physical PC game? Steam basically killed off physical PC sales.

That's inevitably the direction console gaming is going as well, but it's not there yet. So you have situations like Nintendo's where they equalise digital/physical prices on purpose. That's why when you see a high profile game go on sale in the eshop, it's pretty much close to the same price a physical copy would cost on sale, taking into account the cart vs disc situation again.
Mar 9, 2009
662 posts
773 upvotes
Its funny how so many people made fun of the Wii U but are buying up the exact games on the Switch at high prices years later

I was like an old man yelling at a cloud back then telling everyone how good these games were...now I am an old man yelling I told you so.
Dec 24, 2004
596 posts
113 upvotes
Windsor
dino7c wrote: Poochie? an invincible character lol, whats the point
For the kids who want to play but can only just barely play.
Oct 27, 2018
128 posts
139 upvotes
Caerus wrote: Nintendo's digital prices for the most part are purposely matched closely to physical prices. Including when they go on sale (unless it's digital only games). It's to make sure people continue to go to brick and mortar shops or order physical copies. It's both for higher profit margin as well as to keep retailers stocking Nintendo's stuff. If there's a huge difference between physical and digital, almost everyone would go digital. Look what happened with Steam. When was the last time you walked into ebgames, best buy, walmart, etc. and bought a physical PC game? Steam basically killed off physical PC sales.

That's inevitably the direction console gaming is going as well, but it's not there yet. So you have situations like Nintendo's where they equalise digital/physical prices on purpose. That's why when you see a high profile game go on sale in the eshop, it's pretty much close to the same price a physical copy would cost on sale, taking into account the cart vs disc situation again.
Well, I never really was a PC gamer, so I never bought PC games. Neither do I have Steam. I personally hope things don't go all digital, though I can't deny the advantages of digital games (they have their disadvantages too). Regardless, even the sales for digital only games on eShop quite suck, and there is no brick and mortar justification there. A small example I've noticed right at this moment is Overcooked 2, both on sale on the Xbox Game Store and eShop, with eShop's difference being about $2 more. But that's a small example. Bigger would be Night in the Woods and Demon's Crystals, which I've gotten for Xbox at much steeper deals than their sale prices right now on eShop. The prospect of portability is enticing but not for those prices.

I do wonder how many Switch owners exclusively own a Switch or have an X1 or PS4 as well and would be more inclined to buy for those because of cheaper prices (if the game is available for all platforms) or would pay "Nintendo premium" for portability. Portability is really the only draw I can think of, since comparing X1/PS4 to a docked Switch is no contest.

Nevermind the amount of first party titles that are simply rereleases for full price (with maybe a bit of extra content).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)