Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Dell G5 15.6" Gaming Laptop Ryzen 5 4600H/256GB SSD/8GB RAM/Radeon RX 5600M $900

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4984 posts
1364 upvotes
Kitchener

[Best Buy] Dell G5 15.6" Gaming Laptop Ryzen 5 4600H/256GB SSD/8GB RAM/Radeon RX 5600M $900

Dell G5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Grey AMD Ryzen 5 4600H/256GB SSD/8GB RAM/Radeon RX 5600M/Windows 10

$899.99

Positives
AMD CPU-GPU Smartshift
Wifi6
RX5600M 6GB comparable performance to GTX1660Ti
Second NVME slot

Negatives
60Hz screen 250nit
2 X 4GB ram
Bilingual keyboard
Some complaints of running hot

Similar spec laptop here, but with 120hz display

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/gaming- ... esb_s6300e
Last edited by Drthorne on Jan 25th, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
36 replies
Nov 13, 2016
415 posts
494 upvotes
Ontario
2 X 4GB ram...I am not surprised, it is dell afterall
Still a Public Mobile customer.
Looking forward to dotmobile.
May 13, 2012
40 posts
18 upvotes
zhadj030 wrote: 2 X 4GB ram...I am not surprised, it is dell afterall
I've been looking at gaming laptop at this price range for months and this is pretty standard tbh. But yeah I definitely agree that 8gb on gaming laptop in 2021/2020 is rediculous.
Jun 15, 2020
109 posts
276 upvotes
Seems like a decent deal if an individual is able to secure 16 or 32 GB or ram at a decent price.
Sep 27, 2002
138 posts
68 upvotes
Winnipeg
I picked one up from Dell during Black Friday for the same price ( +10% back from Rakuten).

I bought 32GB ram from newegg.ca for $125 (price has gone back up / wait for a sale)
https://www.newegg.ca/team-32gb-260-pin ... 6820331504
and I'll also added a 1TB NVMe for $120 (no longer on sale)
https://www.newegg.ca/western-digital-b ... 6820250135

I haven't done much gaming on it, but it works flawlessly with the Adobe CC suite. The fans a really quiet except when it is doing a bios update and then they will ramp-up to max speed. I am also impressed with the battery when surfing the web and watching videos, it will last for over 6 hours.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1200 posts
823 upvotes
Quebec City
What's up with those mousepad... :(
Sep 27, 2002
138 posts
68 upvotes
Winnipeg
MercadorHG wrote: What's up with those mousepad... :(
Yes, I found that odd, they centred it off of the space bar but the keypad shifts everything to left by 2 inches.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1200 posts
823 upvotes
Quebec City
halide wrote: Yes, I found that odd, they centred it off of the space bar but the keypad shifts everything to left by 2 inches.
Legion 5 have the same weird design. I use my right hand for the mouse pad, why is it more at left than necessary.
Dec 15, 2017
135 posts
105 upvotes
Just a few things anyone interested in this should know (this model is referred to as the G5 15 SE on Dell's site)

- It doesn't have great thermals. It is considered to be better than the ASUS TUF (slightly), but its still far worse than Lenovo thermals. There are threads and ways to get better thermals, but just know it will run pretty hot out of the box
- It is still using the same hinge that were on the previous iterations. A lot of people have complained about it being weak, poorly designed, and wears quickly
- This model, unlike the regular G5, only allows for 2 M.2 storage drives. The regular G5 allows you to use a 2.5" HDD or SDD with an M.2 drive

I was really considering this model before finding out the above. I am slightly considering the regular G5 15 atm, but may just avoid the headache and get a Legion instead.
Sep 27, 2002
138 posts
68 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ryanix wrote: Just a few things anyone interested in this should know (this model is referred to as the G5 15 SE on Dell's site)

- It doesn't have great thermals. It is considered to be better than the ASUS TUF (slightly), but its still far worse than Lenovo thermals. There are threads and ways to get better thermals, but just know it will run pretty hot out of the box
- It is still using the same hinge that were on the previous iterations. A lot of people have complained about it being weak, poorly designed, and wears quickly
- This model, unlike the regular G5, only allows for 2 M.2 storage drives. The regular G5 allows you to use a 2.5" HDD or SDD with an M.2 drive

I was really considering this model before finding out the above. I am slightly considering the regular G5 15 atm, but may just avoid the headache and get a Legion instead.
I believe this version can't support a 2.5" SSD because the battery covers most of that area. It's best to go with an NVMe because they are comparable in cost and are usually faster.
Since getting this system at the beginning of January (ordered on Black Friday) there have been bios updates as well as GPU firmware update. I'll have to try a game and see if it does get hot.
I know that when using Adobe CC suite, I rarely hear the fan, but that is mostly working in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign and not exporting video in Premiere.
Would Civ 6 stress test the fans or is this pretty lightweight when it comes to requirements? I usually game on an Xbox when it comes to fast-paced games.
Dec 15, 2017
135 posts
105 upvotes
halide wrote: I believe this version can't support a 2.5" SSD because the battery covers most of that area. It's best to go with an NVMe because they are comparable in cost and are usually faster.
Since getting this system at the beginning of January (ordered on Black Friday) there have been bios updates as well as GPU firmware update. I'll have to try a game and see if it does get hot.
I know that when using Adobe CC suite, I rarely hear the fan, but that is mostly working in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign and not exporting video in Premiere.
Would Civ 6 stress test the fans or is this pretty lightweight when it comes to requirements? I usually game on an Xbox when it comes to fast-paced games.
I'm not entirely sure whether Civ 6 would be a good stress test as i dont have any experience with it (i assume it would be decent at least). Would be curious to know if the thermals have gotten better since December (last time i saw it tested).

But yeah, as i said this version doesnt support a 2.5", whereas the regular G5 (intel version) does, which i was also considering (probs wasn't a good idea for me to reference both models in the same sentence).

I would be more curious to know whether you've noticed any issues with the hinge, as it was reported to be flawed and the heat from the laptop is said to potentially make the issue worse.
May 24, 2012
260 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Would this be a good laptop to use as a desktop replacement? E.g., Hooked up to my TV to browse the internet/watch Netflix 95% of the time, and play games (Like GTA V and Skyrim) 5% of the time?
Sep 1, 2015
659 posts
801 upvotes
weirdlogic wrote: Would this be a good laptop to use as a desktop replacement? E.g., Hooked up to my TV to browse the internet/watch Netflix 95% of the time, and play games (Like GTA V and Skyrim) 5% of the time?
More than enough. 4600H is a better version of the 4500u but supports upto 12 threads. It is more power hungry, but that doesn't matter since you want to game. Negative is 8gb which is still fine, but bumping to 16gb or 8gbx2 or 32gb (16gbx2) would be solid.

Wifi-6 is great if you don't have ethernet/LAN handy. But it's more the processor is no slouch and then paired with the 6gb VRAM 5600m, you'll pretty much be able to play almost every major game out at 1080p ultra or high settings over 60fps. Obviously other games that require more you'll have to drop.

Edit: Only negatives is that it seems to get superhot, so have some type of place where it will have good cooling, or elevated and not in your lap while gaming.
Apr 10, 2011
343 posts
41 upvotes
I would this compare with the Dell 4700u deal?

I ordered the 4700 for around 750$ before tax, but delivery takes forever.

4600H vs 4700u
Radeon vs Vega10

Priced higher but is it an upgrade?
May 24, 2012
260 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Harold91 wrote: More than enough. 4600H is a better version of the 4500u but supports upto 12 threads. It is more power hungry, but that doesn't matter since you want to game. Negative is 8gb which is still fine, but bumping to 16gb or 8gbx2 or 32gb (16gbx2) would be solid.

Wifi-6 is great if you don't have ethernet/LAN handy. But it's more the processor is no slouch and then paired with the 6gb VRAM 5600m, you'll pretty much be able to play almost every major game out at 1080p ultra or high settings over 60fps. Obviously other games that require more you'll have to drop.

Edit: Only negatives is that it seems to get superhot, so have some type of place where it will have good cooling, or elevated and not in your lap while gaming.
Was thinking of putting it inside a media console below the TV... so if it runs hot its a no go.
Oct 23, 2013
133 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
Melkor wrote: The Lenovo is sold out
Yes, but it keeps restocking and I keep on missing it Crying Face