Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Denon AVR-S720W - Bestbuy - 399$ - Boxing Day

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2018 6:53 pm
Dec 27, 2009
530 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
I don't run all my speakers as small. And I keep my LFE at 80. People keep saying what you do, but I find the LFE gets too localizable if the LFE Hz is higher, and with my speakers in my room, running some of the bigger speakers as large just sounds better to my ears.
Fair enough but LFE at 120 Hz is what audio engineers encode at. It really shouldn't even be a user-configurable option. That doesn't mean that your speakers will cross over at 120 - you should instead set the speaker crossover settings to 80 Hz and leave the LFE setting at 120 Hz. Of course it's up to you though.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1770 posts
673 upvotes
Bedford
What is the path to the LFE setting?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
baillieul wrote: This receiver seems to be struggling to fill a 500 sq ft room. Setup is Klipsch RF82 towers, RC-62 center, polk SW 100 sub and small rears. My old Sony STRDN740 amp may not have sounded as good, but seemed to have more power.....
There's no way the receiver is down on power when running those Klipsch speakers. Horn speakers are extremely efficient. I have run RF82's with 20w amplifiers and even a 5w tube amp, with no issues. There has to be a setting or a lack of proper calibration.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1770 posts
673 upvotes
Bedford
najibs wrote: There's no way the receiver is down on power when running those Klipsch speakers. Horn speakers are extremely efficient. I have run RF82's with 20w amplifiers and even a 5w tube amp, with no issues. There has to be a setting or a lack of proper calibration.
That's what I would have thought. But this amp is pegged at 80 or 90 at times. BTW, you get better Denon tech support on RFD than you do calling Denon!
Jun 21, 2005
366 posts
167 upvotes
Dr. Grinch wrote: One last quibble, if you use an exclamation mark in your wifi password, you won't be able to get this to join your network as they seem to have forgotten to include it as a character you can select. Odd.
The exclamation mark is on the capital letters keyboard next to the '9'.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1284 posts
486 upvotes
BC
Lots of people are commenting they need to turn the volume up quite high. There is a gain setting where you can adjust the level on each input plus or minus 12 dB. Page 164 of the user manual download PDF.
Manuals downloads near bottom of page: https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometh ... s/avrs720w

I have the receiver but have not connected it yet. Got the flu!

Need more speakers like a subwoofer and centre channel. I have some 25 year old Paradigm bookshelf speakers, 2 Phantom (old style with just one bass driver) and 2 mid size Titan, also 1 small Atom. I was thinking of adding a sub and CC to these, but would I be better off to sell them all and get a complete new batch from Klipsch?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
adams7 wrote: Lots of people are commenting they need to turn the volume up quite high. There is a gain setting where you can adjust the level on each input plus or minus 12 dB. Page 164 of the user manual download PDF.
Manuals downloads near bottom of page: https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometh ... s/avrs720w

Need more speakers like a subwoofer and centre channel. I have some 25 year old Paradigm bookshelf speakers, 2 Phantom (old style with just one bass driver) and 2 mid size Titan, also 1 small Atom. I was thinking of adding a sub and CC to these, but would I be better off to sell them all and get a complete new batch from Klipsch?
The speakers are fine for now. I'd get the CC first and then a sub as necessary. If you stay with Paradigm then perhaps the Monitor series centre channels would do. The rule here is that I wouldn't skimp on the centre, which means getting the Monitor Center 3. In fact, if you do plan on upgrading the other speakers in the future, you could always start with a higher end centre channel like the Prestige series.

This is my upgrade path IIRC:

1) Two Atom mains
2) Two Titan mains + two Atom surrounds
3) Two Titan mains + CC170 + two Atom surrounds
4) Two Monitor 7 mains + CC170 + two Titan surrounds
5) Two Studio 60 mains + Studio CC + two Monitor 7 surrounds
6) Two Studio 60 mains + Studio CC + two Monitor 7 surrounds + SVS PC1000 sub
7) Two Studio 60 mains + Studio CC + two Titan surrounds + SVS PC-13 Ultra sub (because it was a new room that didn't work well with the Monitor 7 as surrounds)
8) Two Studio 60 mains + Studio CC + two Titan surrounds + SVS PC-13 Ultra + two Atom speakers for Atmos

So, I've come full circle now with the Titans and Atoms. ie. Keep your Phantoms and Titans, and get a decent centre channel, and then get a decent sub (if you're in a place where you won't bother your neighbours), and then go from there.

BTW, I have no plans to upgrade my mains and centre now. The sound from them is great, and I see myself keeping them as long as possible. Those Paradigm Studio series speakers are roughly equivalent to the current Paradigm Prestige series.

For my secondary system I have my repurposed my Monitor 7 speakers as the mains and have a Monitor Center 3 there (which replaced my old CC170) and it's pretty decent. I have no plans to upgrade that system either, and didn't bother with surrounds or a sub, as it's just a secondary system and where I was trying to keep it uncluttered with speakers.

The Monitor Centre 3 is a huge upgrade from the CC170. I would guess the CC170 sound is roughly in the same ballpark as the Monitor Centre 1, since the Monitor Centre 1 replaced the CC1x0 series IIRC. So whatever you do, I don't recommend getting the Monitor Center 1. Get the Monitor Centre 3 for the best bang for the buck, but if you have money to burn, go for the Prestige series.
Sep 5, 2011
634 posts
146 upvotes
NL
I have an old JVC box system with a mfg date of 2007 I desperately need to upgrade. Are there any good budget speakers on sale right now that I should pick up? I can't throw a lot of money at a system right now and am thinking of upgrading bit by bit. I missed out on the RM6750 deal before Christmas which was probably my best bet.
Dec 27, 2009
530 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
adams7 wrote: Lots of people are commenting they need to turn the volume up quite high. There is a gain setting where you can adjust the level on each input plus or minus 12 dB. Page 164 of the user manual download PDF.

Like others have posted I've also noticed that the volume is lower than expected. For me that's not a terrible concern as it's part of my family room system with Energy Take Classic speakers and I have no need to turn it up loud - I have a basement home theatre for real movie watching etc. I'm aware that I could just turn up the gain on each channel but I don't know how that then affects the calculation that Audyssey has run. Other than the sub (which I do run +3 gain) I'd be concerned it might throw everything off.

Get better soon!
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1990 posts
1047 upvotes
Winnipeg
The English Hacker wrote: Like others have posted I've also noticed that the volume is lower than expected. For me that's not a terrible concern as it's part of my family room system with Energy Take Classic speakers and I have no need to turn it up loud - I have a basement home theatre for real movie watching etc. I'm aware that I could just turn up the gain on each channel but I don't know how that then affects the calculation that Audyssey has run. Other than the sub (which I do run +3 gain) I'd be concerned it might throw everything off.

Get better soon!
Just raise the levels on all speakers by the same amount and it will be fine. I usually bump up audyssey's numbers by 3DBs per channel.
Lorenzo
Jun 21, 2009
202 posts
201 upvotes
I had ordered a X3300 through Gibby's ($799) but they ended up not having any stock. They stepped up in the end and sold me a X3400 for $849

I just got the X3400 last night. Very good so far. I will miss my Pioneer Elite 55txi
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
dealguy1 wrote: Realize this is a pretty old thread, but this receiver is down to $269 at Gibby's - B-Stock. Good deal for someone who doesn't need the latest model?

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/ ... r-b-stock/
Had to find this thread again to give you thanks. I checked out gibbies and ordered a Denon AVR s730H for $279 (b stock). Now to find a basic surround sound speaker set up to go with it. I'm replacing an old Bose lifestyle system and want little speakers..the Paradigm cinema 100CT are on the short list.
Thanks again ..at least I have the receiver..it's a start!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)