Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Denon AVRX3500H 7.2 Channel 4K Ultra HD Network AV Receiver $799.99 (reg $1350)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2019 9:02 am
[OP]
Sep 17, 2007
228 posts
72 upvotes
Wasaga Beach

[Best Buy] Denon AVRX3500H 7.2 Channel 4K Ultra HD Network AV Receiver $799.99 (reg $1350)

This looks like a good deal on a very highly rated home theatre receiver.
Also available on Amazon for $798, which according the CCC is the lowest price its ever been.
Looks like a newer model coming out in a couple of months, so probably starting to clear these out.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 18th, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added retailer
28 replies
Dec 24, 2007
377 posts
65 upvotes
Vancouver
Pretty good deal. This is one of the few receivers with the new eARC and auto low latency mode HDMI 2.1 features.
Apr 13, 2017
281 posts
119 upvotes
Burnaby
This is a dumb question for home theatre folk:

Have home theatre receivers made any significant improvements in the last 15 years in terms of audio for non audiophiles? I bought top of the line yamaha 7.1 receiver from FS back when I had my discount and havne't updated it since. I understand the newer ones have way better video (4k and all) and bluetooth/google home/spotify support etc. I'm just talking about audio quality or automatically determining the right setting.
Feb 23, 2014
734 posts
233 upvotes
KamS046 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 1:04 am

Have home theatre receivers made any significant improvements in the last 15 years in terms of audio for non audiophiles? I bought top of the line yamaha 7.1 receiver from FS back when I had my discount and havne't updated it since. I understand the newer ones have way better video (4k and all) and bluetooth/google home/spotify support etc. I'm just talking about audio quality or automatically determining the right setting.
Step 1: Don't buy Audio gear at Bestbuy.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1676 posts
333 upvotes
Toronto
paul29m wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 6:29 am
Step 1: Don't buy Audio gear at Bestbuy.
Congrats on a) not answering the question and b) most useless comment in thread.

To answer the question, significant improvements: no.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2770 posts
471 upvotes
BC
KamS046 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 1:04 am

Yes, with proper equipment lossless audio codecs like truehd and dtshdma have appreciable gains given you have a decent sub. Better room correction, for non audiophiles is questionable, but you may be able to tell the difference. What speakers are you using?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1301 posts
1215 upvotes
Alberta
I would say that 3D audio like Atmos and DTS:X have pushed the soundscape further....
Jan 17, 2009
988 posts
756 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Ren wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 7:42 am
Yes, with proper equipment lossless audio codecs like truehd and dtshdma have appreciable gains given you have a decent sub. Better room correction, for non audiophiles is questionable, but you may be able to tell the difference. What speakers are you using?
As a non-audiophile the automatic room correction is a HUGE perk as its almost idiot proof by doing everything for you. It made a big difference for me in my room. The other main new feature that i love on my denon is the built in Spotify connect, which basically means by SO can easily use it to play her music. Our old receiver she didn't touch (not a tech person).

Another good tip is to buy a refurbished or b-stock unit from a place like gibby's. For this exact unit its $100 cheaper ($110 off if you sign up for their newsletter) and you still get a 1 year manufacturer warranty (instead of 2) and usually they're in almost identical condition. I got my unit from there and was impressed with how fast they shipped it.

That said don't upgrade until you're going to make use of the new features, or have a new 4k tv, etc. Like anything computer related the longer you wait the better you'll get. New models and formats come out every year.
Apr 13, 2017
281 posts
119 upvotes
Burnaby
Ren wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 7:42 am
Thanks for responding. I have Energy brand speakers and a energy 10" subwoofer. They were really expensive (even after 70% discount); I didn't buy because of research but because of coworkers encouraging me and me being a naive 15 year old lol.

Another thing that I've noticed is if I'm in any of the 5.1 modes, 90% of content comes out of the center channel. I guess that makes sense since a lot of movies are mostly dialogue. But at the time I was encouraged to buy expensive tower units. What's the point if they're only going to have 10% of the sound. I might as well have bought 5 center speakers since those were those were the cheapest iirc. Audiophiles might kill me but I use enhanced 7.1 mode now (even though I only have 5 speakers). It's rare that I can get 5.1 content anyways and I listen to music a lot.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2770 posts
471 upvotes
BC
KamS046 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 1:25 pm
Thanks for responding. I have Energy brand speakers and a energy 10" subwoofer. They were really expensive (even after 70% discount); I didn't buy because of research but because of coworkers encouraging me and me being a naive 15 year old lol.

Another thing that I've noticed is if I'm in any of the 5.1 modes, 90% of content comes out of the center channel. I guess that makes sense since a lot of movies are mostly dialogue. But at the time I was encouraged to buy expensive tower units. What's the point if they're only going to have 10% of the sound. I might as well have bought 5 center speakers since those were those were the cheapest iirc. Audiophiles might kill me but I use enhanced 7.1 mode now (even though I only have 5 speakers). It's rare that I can get 5.1 content anyways and I listen to music a lot.
Yah, it would probably be worth upgrading the AVR. Almost all dialogue does come from the centre channel, but the ambient sounds are definitely helped by the towers ex. explosions. You'll notice this more with movies. If you use kodi, you can try up-mixing the audio to all your speakers with music. I really like the effect.

Just be careful, it's a slippery slope to audiophiledom.
May 14, 2016
11 posts
Have home theatre receivers made any significant improvements in the last 15 years in terms of audio for non audiophiles?
Yes. It will be connector related. The older dvd digital standard won't have the same resolution. Some titles downscale better than others. You might miss a little snippet of dialog.

4k devices are easier to link in with hdmi 2.x ports .
I have an older Yamaha with hdmi 1.x ports . My Samsung 4k blueray player has two HDMI ports, one for the 4k TV, the other for the hdmi based receiver.

For my purposes, this works. Your 15 year old reciever probably has s video connectors with no hdmi. Time to upgrade.
Nov 8, 2007
491 posts
143 upvotes
Despite HDMI 2.1 on the horizon I was happy to jump in on a current gen AVR. I won't need 8K and all known useful features are already supported.

Getting Atmos and current gen Dolby upmixing was worth updating from a 2012 AVR for me. I much prefer the Dolby upmixer vs. DTS which always sounded flat and lifeless to me.

You can spend a ton of time and money with this hobby in all aspects. Have a listen to a few demo setups and be sure what you want before diving in.
Nov 14, 2007
253 posts
26 upvotes
how does it compare to marantz nr1609?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8651 posts
10018 upvotes
GT-EH
If I did not own the Denon X4200W already I'd be all over this.
Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)