Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

DJI FPV Quadcopter Drone with Camera & Controller - Dark Grey 1299.99 ($400 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2022 2:30 pm
[OP]
Mar 3, 2019
6 posts
12 upvotes

[Best Buy] DJI FPV Quadcopter Drone with Camera & Controller - Dark Grey 1299.99 ($400 off)

This looks like a really good and rare deal. Unfortunately, it expires on the 27th. It is available at multiple places, but Best Buy offers 1% cash back with Rakuten!

Here are other places:

https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/62762/dji_fpv_combo_drone?categoryId=202&sku=CP.FP.00000001.01

https://www.amazon.ca/DJI-FPV-Combo-First-Person-Transmission/dp/B08NQD4FBW

*Edit: Best Buy extended the sale.
Images
  • FPV Drone.png
Last edited by SameerL42612 on Jan 25th, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
21 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
13843 posts
17986 upvotes
Vancouver
Nice deal, but a warning for anyone considering buying this: At 800 grams it requires a drone pilot certificate to operate, it must be registered with Transport Canada, and you cannot fly it within 5.6km of any airport or 1.9km from any heliport, making large swaths of urban areas in Canada off-limits.
Dec 5, 2017
85 posts
283 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Nice deal, but a warning for anyone considering buying this: At 800 grams it requires a drone pilot certificate to operate, it must be registered with Transport Canada, and you cannot fly it within 5.6km of any airport or 1.9km from any heliport, making large swaths of urban areas in Canada off-limits.

You also need a second person to fly this, you need to maintain VLOS. That's why these things are so severely discounted. Expect them to drop even more
Nov 26, 2018
355 posts
348 upvotes
i've always wondered about this FPV sku. i have the original air and like the shots i get, but flight time and distance has always been an issue. is this drone any good for slower moving shots or is it too fidgety and only good when going fast? otherwise, i'll wait for the air 3.
Sep 18, 2009
202 posts
118 upvotes
konig1 wrote: i've always wondered about this FPV sku. i have the original air and like the shots i get, but flight time and distance has always been an issue. is this drone any good for slower moving shots or is it too fidgety and only good when going fast? otherwise, i'll wait for the air 3.
This guy does a good overview of all the modes:
Jul 31, 2012
346 posts
672 upvotes
Freefast99 wrote: You also need a second person to fly this, you need to maintain VLOS. That's why these things are so severely discounted. Expect them to drop even more
Unless you're flying without the goggles on lol
ERROR
You cannot vote on your own post.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4993 posts
2624 upvotes
GTA
That controller and goggles are like $950 by themselves if you want to go digital with other drones, i could see people buying this and hoping to offload the bare fpv drone. Just not sure if there are people out there who crashed their drone and need a replacement.
Last edited by shabby on Jan 20th, 2022 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8979 posts
2245 upvotes
konig1 wrote: i've always wondered about this FPV sku. i have the original air and like the shots i get, but flight time and distance has always been an issue. is this drone any good for slower moving shots or is it too fidgety and only good when going fast? otherwise, i'll wait for the air 3.
If you're looking for a drone for aerial photography/videography, skip the FPV. The camera performance on this thing is mediocre, it can do decent photos/video but definitely nowhere near as good as the Mavic line. It also only has 1-axis gimbal. This thing is really meant to give you an easy way to get into the FPV drone experience and learn how to fly one.

This thing has good range but flight times aren't great. Mine gets ~10 minutes on normal mode, up to 6-8 in sports and ~4 to 5 mins of flight time in manual if I'm full sending it.
Kiraly wrote: Nice deal, but a warning for anyone considering buying this: At 800 grams it requires a drone pilot certificate to operate, it must be registered with Transport Canada, and you cannot fly it within 5.6km of any airport or 1.9km from any heliport, making large swaths of urban areas in Canada off-limits.
Also can't fly more than 30 m (100 ft) over any buildings and the drone always has to be 30 m away from another person and never fly directly over anyone (that's not the pilot or observer) unless you have the advanced operations certificate.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Nov 26, 2018
355 posts
348 upvotes
Winkle wrote: If you're looking for a drone for aerial photography/videography, skip the FPV. The camera performance on this thing is mediocre, it can do decent photos/video but definitely nowhere near as good as the Mavic line. It also only has 1-axis gimbal. This thing is really meant to give you an easy way to get into the FPV drone experience and learn how to fly one.

This thing has good range but flight times aren't great. Mine gets ~10 minutes on normal mode, up to 6-8 in sports and ~4 to 5 mins of flight time in manual if I'm full sending it.
10min? damn...my OG mavic air can manage ~15min.
Apr 2, 2013
776 posts
828 upvotes
Barrie
konig1 wrote: 10min? damn...my OG mavic air can manage ~15min.
This drone can also go about 80 mph. Pretty sure your air cannot do that lol
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2001
3076 posts
1205 upvotes
Toronto
So many posters droning on and on about the various restrictions make me not want to take a flyer on this. Now there's not a remote chance I'll buy one after so many aired their opinions. It goggles the mind how anyone would pay so much unless they control axis to a great deal of money.
RFD OG 20+ years
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6589 posts
6907 upvotes
Vancouver
cannon_fodder wrote: So many posters droning on and on about the various restrictions make me not want to take a flyer on this. Now there's not a remote chance I'll buy one after so many aired their opinions. It goggles the mind how anyone would pay so much unless they control axis to a great deal of money.
It's even worse in Vancouver and surrounding area. No flying any drone of any weight in public parks or school yards. There is virtually no place you can fly legally.
Nov 26, 2018
355 posts
348 upvotes
cannon_fodder wrote: So many posters droning on and on about the various restrictions make me not want to take a flyer on this. Now there's not a remote chance I'll buy one after so many aired their opinions. It goggles the mind how anyone would pay so much unless they control axis to a great deal of money.
it's really not too difficult to get licensed. it takes a couple of hours to read up on the material and the online basic exam is maybe 30min. it gets more complicated if you want to go further and apply for an advanced license.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8979 posts
2245 upvotes
konig1 wrote: 10min? damn...my OG mavic air can manage ~15min.
TheGuard wrote: This drone can also go about 80 mph. Pretty sure your air cannot do that lol
Yeah, N mode on this thing is capped at 54 kph and S mode is 97 kph. Max speed of a Mavic Air is 68 kph.

To be fair, I'm not entirely sure how long the battery lasts on my FPV drone on N mode, I've never done a full flight in N mode, too slow. I've seen people online claim longer, between 15 to 18 mins so its not that bad.

In S mode, I consistently got 8 mins, maybe a bit more if I was easy on the throttle. But full manual is where it's at... in M mode I cruise at 100 kph and have done over 120 in level flight. It's a whole other level of experience doing acrobatics in FPV.

Again, if you want to do aerial photography, videography or be productive, get a Mavic. The FPV Drone is first and foremost an expensive toy.
konig1 wrote: it's really not too difficult to get licensed. it takes a couple of hours to read up on the material and the online basic exam is maybe 30min. it gets more complicated if you want to go further and apply for an advanced license.
The online basic exam isn't all that easy, there's lots of common sense stuff but it also asks specifics from the regulations a lot. But since its online it's open book and they give you 90 minutes to do it, I finished it in ~80 but I took my time and didn't really do any study or prep work before. They also ask a lot of generation aviation questions that often have little to no relevance to drone flying.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Feb 10, 2021
104 posts
69 upvotes
How much weight can this lift and fly with?
Nov 26, 2016
455 posts
915 upvotes
2000mAh battery??? What is this? 1998? 🤦🏽
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4993 posts
2624 upvotes
GTA
mysttz wrote: 2000mAh battery??? What is this? 1998? 🤦🏽
There were no high drain 6s 25volt batteries in 1998.
Jan 26, 2010
988 posts
776 upvotes
Milton
Pretty good price. I bought this back in July last year direct from DJI with a 10% discount. I fly other FPV drones, but I enjoy this one for what it is. Good for the RTH, and safety features, not that good if you want to do freestyle Acro.

If you're a beginner interested in photo/video, then stick with a Mini 2 or Air 2.

If you're fairy experienced with drones and want to get into FPV, you can do much worse than this kit. The Goggles can also be used with other FPV drones with DJI Air Unit/Caddx, which is what I do with two of my other FPV drones.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2004
1250 posts
71 upvotes
Winkle wrote: If you're looking for a drone for aerial photography/videography, skip the FPV. The camera performance on this thing is mediocre, it can do decent photos/video but definitely nowhere near as good as the Mavic line. It also only has 1-axis gimbal. This thing is really meant to give you an easy way to get into the FPV drone experience and learn how to fly one.

Also can't fly more than 30 m (100 ft) over any buildings and the drone always has to be 30 m away from another person and never fly directly over anyone (that's not the pilot or observer) unless you have the advanced operations certificate.
My neighbor has an FPV drone and flies it alone all around our suburban neighbourhood and our local parks with kids. From the looks of things he is supposed to

a) a person spotting with LOS to the drone
b) not flying within 30 feet of a building (it buzzes right by our windows)
c) not flying within 30 feet of people, like doing flips over kids playing soccer is bad

I doubt he has it registered or a license either tbh

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)