Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Dyson Pure Cool Link Desk Air Purifier with HEPA Filter - White 299.99$

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2020 11:25 am
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
535 posts
229 upvotes

[Best Buy] Dyson Pure Cool Link Desk Air Purifier with HEPA Filter - White 299.99$

what do you guys think of this ?? picked up at bestbuy during this COVID times staying home most of the time good to ensure air around is pure

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dy ... 1/10417060

i am liking it ..it gives cool air and the mobile app is great
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1172 posts
291 upvotes
I came to know how expensive filters are on some of these, so I ended up with a Lasko box fan from Home Depot for $40 and a 3M Filtrete 20x20x1 2200mpr furnace filter to stuck them together. The furnace filter is suppose to filter out 0.3-1 micron 60+%, virus and bacteria too. Just a thought.

Only negative is the look and box size compared to a Dyson. But I can run 3-4 of these around the house for the price of this Dyson on sale. ONLY if purifying the air of the house is your main concern.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5642 posts
4605 upvotes
Vancouver
mattdominic wrote: what do you guys think of this ?? picked up at bestbuy during this COVID times staying home most of the time good to ensure air around is pure

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dy ... 1/10417060

i am liking it ..it gives cool air and the mobile app is great
Dyson Outlet (also on ebay with cash back) has the newer model refurbished for the same price. Same Dyson warranty and support.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dy ... r=PDP_Reco

Ron.
May 27, 2019
51 posts
118 upvotes
You can get a refurbished TPO4 for $329.99 on BestBuy.ca

If you're okay with refurbushed, I'd say it's a much better buy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5642 posts
4605 upvotes
Vancouver
mattdominic wrote: That's not true can you paste the link here ...also why u want to get a refurbished one how do u know how much filter is left on those ?
The link was posted in my message above.

Refurbished units come with new filters. Would be kinda gross for them to send out units with used filters.

Ron.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2017
1846 posts
3942 upvotes
Just a heads up this is the old version. The newer version from a couple years ago already has a screen on the front.
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
107 posts
284 upvotes
JL2002 wrote: I came to know how expensive filters are on some of these, so I ended up with a Lasko box fan from Home Depot for $40 and a 3M Filtrete 20x20x1 2200mpr furnace filter to stuck them together. The furnace filter is suppose to filter out 0.3-1 micron 60+%, virus and bacteria too. Just a thought.

Only negative is the look and box size compared to a Dyson. But I can run 3-4 of these around the house for the price of this Dyson on sale. ONLY if purifying the air of the house is your main concern.
Nice set up. Did 3M ever release that study they did proving the equivalency of MPR ratings to MERV?

They didn't?

Cuz you know, for businesses, 3M sells MERV filters. But for people, they went ahead and created a WHOLE NEW rating system...for giggles
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1172 posts
291 upvotes
goobydale wrote: Nice set up. Did 3M ever release that study they did proving the equivalency of MPR ratings to MERV?

They didn't?

Cuz you know, for businesses, 3M sells MERV filters. But for people, they went ahead and created a WHOLE NEW rating system...for giggles
Yup, it even says Merv 13 right on their filter. Who knows if they ever release 'the' study, I certainly didn't have time to research it. I just wanted to pick up the filter on the day I was off from work. I would've ordered from amazon, purefilters.ca or something if I could've get it a lot sooner. I work in a Hospital, and I had to rip one of these filters out, cut, and use it as a filter behind the crappy mask the Hospital started to hand out for employees now.

So end of the day for me, it's really just a better than nothing thing, and at least it does something instead of having nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5015 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
JL2002 wrote: I came to know how expensive filters are on some of these, so I ended up with a Lasko box fan from Home Depot for $40 and a 3M Filtrete 20x20x1 2200mpr furnace filter to stuck them together. The furnace filter is suppose to filter out 0.3-1 micron 60+%, virus and bacteria too. Just a thought.

I did the same except I cut up MERV 13 furnace filters to fit inside my air purifier. I used to do the 20X20 box fan but found the crappy one I got from Walmart didn't generate enough pressure to move a lot of air through the MERV 13 filter (I am going to try repurposing the box fan for my garage with lower rated filters to collect saw dust).
Dec 29, 2017
121 posts
86 upvotes
Tp04 and 01 are so low rated on consumer reports that you might as well just buy a fan...ok slight overstatement but they are both bottom rated amongst 45 air purifiers...honeywell and blue air are top rated. Admittedly just one source but why bother. Form over substance
Apr 10, 2008
356 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
I bought this air purifier just today from costco; and with the rebate it’s an additional 25% off. $87 shipped to ontario. filters aren’t that expensive either. smaller space but might be worth looking at

https://www.costco.ca/pureguardian-ap22 ... 43293.html

I also bought this one for $225 from costco, but feel like it’s overkill:

https://www.costco.ca/germguardian-larg ... 24541.html
Aug 21, 2011
49 posts
9 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I was keep eye on Dyson TP04. But after some research . even for 329.99 still not good price for an air purifier and lack of fan function. Beside ,filter replacement will cost a lot in the future.

http://www.air-purifier-power.com/ I found this website have more good information for air purifier than others .

And I end up to buy Honeywell HPA250BC on amazon (HPA300 is good too ,but not good price now) for my room size and cheaper filter replacement (OEM filter even cheaper) , 5 years warranty.

Also recommend Winix Plasma Wave 5500-2 True HEPA Air Purifier , have more expensive filters, but everything else is better. https://www.wayfair.ca/home-improvement ... x1021.html
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
535 posts
229 upvotes
newfbc wrote: The link was posted in my message above.

Refurbished units come with new filters. Would be kinda gross for them to send out units with used filters.

Ron.
considering its sold by dyson not bestbuy and available only shipping the pain going through returning this if something is wrong is going to twice a big hastle during this covid times i would just keep the one i got
Jul 3, 2014
112 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto, ON
JL2002 wrote: I had to rip one of these filters out, cut, and use it as a filter behind the crappy mask the Hospital started to hand out for employees now.
Make sure there isn't fibreglass in the filter you're using
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1172 posts
291 upvotes
montyburns wrote: Make sure there isn't fibreglass in the filter you're using
Yup. I at least made sure of that for 3M Filtrete furnace filter. BUT, do you own due diligence if you are to read this. Don't take my word.