Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] E3 30% off Select Pre-Orders (Starts June 10th)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2020 4:05 pm
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1846 upvotes
Ajax
angel177 wrote: It is actually against the competition act to make an offer you don't have sufficient numbers to cover.

"Do ensure that you have reasonable quantities of a product advertised at a bargain price."
After reading through that, they are probably covered as we do not know what "reasonable quantities" mean in a given situation. Unfortunately, "sufficient numbers" does not equal to that everyone who wants one gets one. I have never heard of any of these stores getting nailed under this act. Think about the numerous Black Friday, Boxing Day, etc. sales. They all have limited numbers and stock and I do not recall anyone being successful in challenging them on it. If this act was enabled, it would be a field day. Damn, never got a console on launch I am going to call you on unfair practices. lol But listen, fill out a complaint and let us now how it goes.
Jul 27, 2009
172 posts
13 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote: Which "crap" are you referring to? It's become pretty clear over the last couple years that the retailers are no longer fully in control of the E3 deals.
issues with ordering games like bestbuy and walmart right now. Having stock, not having stock. Ordering and getting cancellation emails.
Jul 27, 2009
172 posts
13 upvotes
halcyon wrote: But they are in control of their online ordering system.

Cancelled orders, abupt out of stocks with sporadic availability, inconsistenr shipping... these things a retailer can control and have had issues.

They cant control whats released, games that were surprises and announcements. Its awesome when things get listed soon after an announcement but i dont think these retailers are watching the conferences with their hand on the button. They're big retailers and games are just a small part of their revenue.

To think that we should be so entitled that every game should be 30% off or that we should even get a discount is a bit much. We dont get discounts for any other piece of media on release day so why should games be any different. We've had it good the past few years and though it aint the $40 days, we are still getting discounts on what i would argue is an over abundance of high quality games. (Just look at your backlog of unopened games you wish you had the time to play).
the bold part is exactly what i meant
Aug 30, 2010
282 posts
156 upvotes
Edmonton
mrtvgame wrote: After reading through that, they are probably covered as we do not know what "reasonable quantities" mean in a given situation. Unfortunately, "sufficient numbers" does not equal to that everyone who wants one gets one. I have never heard of any of these stores getting nailed under this act. Think about the numerous Black Friday, Boxing Day, etc. sales. They all have limited numbers and stock and I do not recall anyone being successful in challenging them on it. If this act was enabled, it would be a field day. Damn, never got a console on launch I am going to call you on unfair practices. lol But listen, fill out a complaint and let us now how it goes.
Like most things when it comes to law, it would probably be based on a scale dependent on the business, and given "80% of Canadians live within 25 km of one of our stores" Best buy should have a fairly high bar for the amount to approach "reasonable" .

And black friday boxing day etc aren't really a comparable, It's not restricted to only online and those sales have strong precedents. This one not so much?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
4182 posts
3990 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I have a feeling there's never been a push in regards to how the Competition Bureau rules are supposed to apply to "limiting" quantities on stock that technically doesn't physically exist (yet) (ie. preorders).

Like fundamentally the problem here is that Best Buy isn't ACTUALLY out of stock on these items, because at this point not only is there no real stock and there's nothing preventing them from attaining more, but they've also literally admitted that as soon as this promotion is over, they're going to flick the switch back to "on" and you can get it at full price. They advertised something and now they're intentionally withholding it from the consumer. That is extremely different than actually physically running out of something.
Jun 9, 2013
405 posts
329 upvotes
Surrey
mrtvgame wrote: Their videogames are shipped from the distributor and not their warehouses. Solutions2Go located in Brampton.
that explains why all my video game purchases from walmart are delayed (I am from BC).. while bestbuy and amazon are usually on time.
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1846 upvotes
Ajax
angel177 wrote: Like most things when it comes to law, it would probably be based on a scale dependent on the business, and given "80% of Canadians live within 25 km of one of our stores" Best buy should have a fairly high bar for the amount to approach "reasonable" .

And black friday boxing day etc aren't really a comparable, It's not restricted to only online and those sales have strong precedents. This one not so much?
The only way to find out is to go through with a complaint. People did put through complaints about some Rogers sales last year but nothing came of it.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1389 posts
1170 upvotes
What a bias Best Buy....2 days ago i was not able to pre order NHL 20 as it said not available for pre order.
Now that sale is over, all of the sudden it's back for pre ordering. Never gonna pay a penny to this losers.
May 21, 2013
44 posts
5 upvotes
Fredericton
Same with Avengers lol Back in stock earlier and deal is over :)
Jul 25, 2018
742 posts
439 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
We’re sorry, but due to a technical issue, your recent order for Marvel's Avengers (PS4) was unfortunately cancelled. Don’t worry, we’re taking care of this issue and you’ll be able to get your pre-ordered game at the price that you ordered it at. We’ll be in touch again by no later than Friday, June 14, with next steps.

Well today is June 14th, so the clock is ticking.....
May 8, 2016
195 posts
328 upvotes
Walmart.ca sale is still up and they are still adding games. Just added Watch Dogs Legion
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2009
1596 posts
1032 upvotes
AB
jawadjaved87 wrote: Walmart.ca sale is still up and they are still adding games. Just added Watch Dogs Legion
I think we can all agree that walmart was/is the best place for E3 pre-orders this year. I was able to place 6 pre-orders with them. Can't say the same about BB or Amazon.
Jul 25, 2018
742 posts
439 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
projector wrote: We’re sorry, but due to a technical issue, your recent order for Marvel's Avengers (PS4) was unfortunately cancelled. Don’t worry, we’re taking care of this issue and you’ll be able to get your pre-ordered game at the price that you ordered it at. We’ll be in touch again by no later than Friday, June 14, with next steps.

Well today is June 14th, so the clock is ticking.....
And just like that, I have followup emails from Best Buy. Clearly someone from BestBuy.ca is reading this thread. $25 eGift Certificate for use when preordering Avengers
Oct 17, 2011
281 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
projector wrote: And just like that, I have followup emails from Best Buy. Clearly someone from BestBuy.ca is reading this thread. $25 eGift Certificate for use when preordering Avengers
I just got the same email, and, fun fact, the $25 certificate seems to work with any game... so if you're not super committed to Avengers, you could use it to get a discount on stuff that wasn't part of the sale.
May 8, 2016
195 posts
328 upvotes
costabile wrote: I just got the same email, and, fun fact, the $25 certificate seems to work with any game... so if you're not super committed to Avengers, you could use it to get a discount on stuff that wasn't part of the sale.
The more the games bestbuy had cancelled, the more e-certificates for you. Can anyone confirm if these certificates are open to use on anything?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19487 posts
6649 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
jawadjaved87 wrote: The more the games bestbuy had cancelled, the more e-certificates for you. Can anyone confirm if these certificates are open to use on anything?
I had two of them stacked on a nondoom order but the order got stuck on securecode in checkout. Then when I tried to check out again it said it didn't apply to my order.

I guess they fixed it just before I got through the hole. :P
Sep 27, 2009
294 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
So, I can't use the code to order the item they said I can order...BB can't even do this right???
Oct 17, 2011
281 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
BinaryJay wrote: I had two of them stacked on a nondoom order but the order got stuck on securecode in checkout. Then when I tried to check out again it said it didn't apply to my order.

I guess they fixed it just before I got through the hole. :P
Same thing happened to me, but now the code won't even work on Avengers.