[Best Buy] Elgato Cam Link 4K Capture Card- $184

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2020 9:26 am
[OP]
Jun 24, 2019
21 posts
48 upvotes

[Best Buy] Elgato Cam Link 4K Capture Card- $184

There isn't any discount currently available on this item but that's not the point of the thread. The Elgato Cam Link is a hot buy for anyone looking for a 4k compatible video capture card for streaming any HDMI source to their computer. For example, you can use this to use your DSRL as a webcam. It is usually sold out everywhere and Bestbuy just stocked some units online. Sharing the deal so that others don't have to overpay in the used market or whoever is in search can get a new one locally.

56 replies
Apr 20, 2017
241 posts
313 upvotes
Montreal
Related PSA: Just in case someone missed the announcement, Canon released a driver so people can use their DSLR as a webcam without an adapter. So, if you have a Canon and a Windows machine (no Mac, unfortunately) you're good to go. The list of compatible cameras is not definitive, my camera isn't listed but it works. The restart after the driver install is not optional.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... m-utility/
most things haven't worked out
[OP]
Jun 24, 2019
21 posts
48 upvotes
contva wrote: Related PSA: Just in case someone missed the announcement, Canon released a driver so people can use their DSLR as a webcam without an adapter. So, if you have a Canon and a Windows machine (no Mac, unfortunately) you're good to go. The list of compatible cameras is not definitive, my camera isn't listed but it works. The restart after the driver install is not optional.

Thanks for putting that in the thread too. Super valuable. It's too bad Panasonic and other brands didn't do the same :(
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9375 posts
4165 upvotes
Toronto
I cannot believe they want nearly $200 for this tiny thing... it can't cost THAT much to manufacture, and these guys are almost holding a monopoly on capture cards

I wouldn't mind one for streaming on twitch but not at that price
[OP]
Jun 24, 2019
21 posts
48 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: I cannot believe they want nearly $200 for this tiny thing... it can't cost THAT much to manufacture, and these guys are almost holding a monopoly on capture cards

I wouldn't mind one for streaming on twitch but not at that price
I agree software should enable this. It's robbery but there really is NO alternative to capture cards when it comes to using DSRL's as webcams.
Sep 23, 2008
71 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
contva wrote: Related PSA: Just in case someone missed the announcement, Canon released a driver so people can use their DSLR as a webcam without an adapter. So, if you have a Canon and a Windows machine (no Mac, unfortunately) you're good to go. The list of compatible cameras is not definitive, my camera isn't listed but it works. The restart after the driver install is not optional.

** Certain Canon cameras, from what I remember recent pro-sumer bracket cameras. And from what I've read, there's a bit of a sync issue between audio/video, though if you have VoiceMeeter and/or OBS you can get it in order.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will occasionally post useful information; also, nudes.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9375 posts
4165 upvotes
Toronto
pumxee636163735934880619 wrote: I agree software should enable this. It's robbery but there really is NO alternative to capture cards when it comes to using DSRL's as webcams.
What's worse is for twitch streaming you'd need two of these, one for your game console and one for your camera
Apr 20, 2017
241 posts
313 upvotes
Montreal
slapthefat wrote: ** Certain Canon cameras, from what I remember recent pro-sumer bracket cameras. And from what I've read, there's a bit of a sync issue between audio/video, though if you have VoiceMeeter and/or OBS you can get it in order.
There's a list if you follow the link, lots of Rebels too. I've used it with my 5D Mark II (not on the list) and it works. No sync issues between audio and video but I also used a USB Mic, not the jack mic-in input so maybe that slowed the audio too :)
most things haven't worked out
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1601 posts
714 upvotes

That's handy. Unfortunately it didn't work for my 7D (which wasn't on the list anyway).
Mar 15, 2007
54 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
ManCaveGamer wrote: these guys are almost holding a monopoly on capture cards
There are other brands of capture cards out there, but these are the more popular and at a consumer price point.

The popularity of game streaming has made things so much easier, even if elgato has been the one really jumping on the bandwagon.
[OP]
Jun 24, 2019
21 posts
48 upvotes
Dunro wrote: There are other brands of capture cards out there, but these are the more popular and at a consumer price point.

The popularity of game streaming has made things so much easier, even if elgato has been the one really jumping on the bandwagon.
Avermedia has a 4k pass-through card for $199 which isn't a bad deal. But, for the purpose of simply using DSRL video as a webcam the cam link 4k is great.
Sep 23, 2008
71 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
contva wrote: There's a list if you follow the link, lots of Rebels too. I've used it with my 5D Mark II (not on the list) and it works. No sync issues between audio and video but I also used a USB Mic, not the jack mic-in input so maybe that slowed the audio too :)
Oh for real? I'm not a Canon guy, but I appreciate the heads up!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will occasionally post useful information; also, nudes.
Nov 29, 2013
174 posts
306 upvotes
Thumbs up for a good product.
I'm a dentist, and I'm currently using 2 of these in my clinic to capture feed from my cameras (which are attached to my operating microscopes) and display it on the monitor. I can then easily take pictures for documentation. Since it essentially makes the camera into a webcam, my x-ray software integrates it as well, so everything gets organized into the patient's file.
This set up is much easier, better, and significantly cheaper than any overpriced medical equipment.
I'm just giving my experience on how I used it for anyone that happens to be in a similar situation!
Last edited by dosanjha on May 14th, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 28, 2019
102 posts
35 upvotes
This is great but no good for my Sony A7R ii :(
May 7, 2015
61 posts
93 upvotes
Edmonton
OOS already! Thanks for posting tho... these things are like gold right now.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1431 posts
477 upvotes
This is what our church uses always has worked great