• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2022 4:16 pm
[OP]
Nov 10, 2018
283 posts
426 upvotes
Ontario

[Best Buy] EXPIRED - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

I know this isn't the greatest deal, and it was already debated when Canada Computers had it on sale Black Friday for $439 (RVS007 pointed out ATL was $419.99 on Amazon during Black Friday). I'm only posted this to help anyone that was planning on getting a 5800x soon for whatever reason. Yes Intel's new 12000's series chips are impressive, but some people already have AM4 socket hardware and are just planning to upgrade their CPU.

Today when I woke up I noticed something strange regarding the 5800X and their listed prices:
New Egg.ca: $539.00
Memory Express: $599.00
Canada Computers: $619.00
Amazon.ca: unavailable (sold out) *edit*

2 days ago most of these places were selling the 5800x for around $460. I have no idea what's causing the price variance, but now Best Buy's price of $456.98 seems like a great deal. Downvote if you must, I'm just trying to help anyone that's in the market for one.

*edit* Amazon now has it listed at $456.98 with an estimated ship date of Feb 20-22 2022.
Last edited by cjohnnyhere on Jan 24th, 2022 4:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
20 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14777 posts
6324 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just to put this into perspective, it was $419.99 on Amazon during Black Friday.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23079 posts
28583 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: Just to put this into perspective, it was $419.99 on Amazon during Black Friday.
Inflationary expectations aren't helping things in Q1 2022.

I'm still getting good deals on the B2B wholesale side, but some items are permanently more expensive for me.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2018
283 posts
426 upvotes
Ontario
rvs007 wrote: Just to put this into perspective, it was $419.99 on Amazon during Black Friday.
Damn 419.99 was a steal, how limited was the stock? Best Buy's new list price is $539.99 and on par with New Egg. I'm sure the prices will drop again, this is more for anyone with an immediate need. Later this year when AM5 sockets are released I'm sure the prices will bottom out to a new all-time low before the 5800x's become hard to find.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37038 posts
23003 upvotes
Center of Universe
It's not called ATL deals.
Good for those building now, especially if they've got the more harder to find GPU.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2018
283 posts
426 upvotes
Ontario
vkizzle wrote: It's not called ATL deals.
Good for those building now, especially if they've got the more harder to find GPU.
Thanks that's why I posted it. $36.99 more then a limited ATL black friday special doesn't seem that bad. Considering the lowest retail price in Canada tomorrow (or if Best Buy runs out of stock today) will be $539.99 (+$120 more then ATL).
Jun 15, 2020
237 posts
476 upvotes
Inflation on the 5800x? Umm no... The reason for Canada Computers putting the Ryzen 7 5800X back up to MSRP is that the new Ryzen 7 5800x3d processor with 3d v cache will soon be in stock. Most anyone who wanted the Ryzen 7 5800X right now probably bought it at Black Friday sales. As no one is buying it anyway might as well raise the price closer to what the new Ryzen 7 5800x3d will be listed at so there isn't a sticker shock comparison between the two.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37038 posts
23003 upvotes
Center of Universe
launch wrote: Inflation on the 5800x? Umm no... The reason for Canada Computers putting the Ryzen 7 5800X back up to MSRP is thatthe new Ryzen 7 5800x3d processor with 3d v cache will soon be in stock. Most anyone who wanted the Ryzen 7 5800X right now probably bought it at Black Friday sales. As no one is buying it anyway might as well raise the price closer to what the new Ryzen 7 5800x3d will be listed at so there isn't a sticker shock comparison between the two.
"Soon"...
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1726 posts
515 upvotes
Mississauga
it was $447 back in Aug last year. plus 25% off with Amazon Business. I got one for $335 + tax.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2018
283 posts
426 upvotes
Ontario
launch wrote: Inflation on the 5800x? Umm no... The reason for Canada Computers putting the Ryzen 7 5800X back up to MSRP is that the new Ryzen 7 5800x3d processor with 3d v cache will soon be in stock. Most anyone who wanted the Ryzen 7 5800X right now probably bought it at Black Friday sales. As no one is buying it anyway might as well raise the price closer to what the new Ryzen 7 5800x3d will be listed at so there isn't a sticker shock comparison between the two.
Yeah sounds interesting. AMD is currently getting slapped by intel's latest cpu's (performance vs pricing), so they need a stop-gap till AM5. I am concerned with the volume they're going to release of the x3d version and at what price point. Limited data has been released about this chip and it almost seems like its going to be an experimental cpu. By the time they're readily available the Ryzen 7000 (Raphael) in AM5 will probably be close to launch with better utilization of the vcache and more advance features. If the AM5 socket lasts anywhere close to the AM4 it'll be a great long-term investment. That's the thing with computers, wait a bit and there's always something better.
Nov 25, 2021
108 posts
112 upvotes
launch wrote: Inflation on the 5800x? Umm no... The reason for Canada Computers putting the Ryzen 7 5800X back up to MSRP is that the new Ryzen 7 5800x3d processor with 3d v cache will soon be in stock. Most anyone who wanted the Ryzen 7 5800X right now probably bought it at Black Friday sales. As no one is buying it anyway might as well raise the price closer to what the new Ryzen 7 5800x3d will be listed at so there isn't a sticker shock comparison between the two.
Generally I think when stock stagnates, they lower the price or introduce sales to get some inventory churn, no? Raising the price because an item isn't selling sounds counter-intuitive.
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10512 posts
5140 upvotes
Toronto
got it for free basically, bundled with another card at CC (free cuz mined the $ back)
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
1454 posts
1686 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
If they were smart, they would package this with a GPU. If I can't get a GPU near MSRP then what is this good for anwyay?
Might as well wait and wait and wait.

If they packaged GPUs with CPUs, that would reduce scalpers a little bit. Cryptos coming down = more GPUs available..
Temp. Banned
Apr 15, 2011
5157 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
Apparently tsmc raised priced of chips by 20% so that could be the reason for the difference between atl.
Nov 4, 2006
541 posts
600 upvotes
Vancouver
aximrocks wrote: it was $447 back in Aug last year. plus 25% off with Amazon Business. I got one for $335 + tax.
Last year when it was $560 I stole my dad's wallet and credit card and got it for free.
Apr 15, 2004
739 posts
197 upvotes
DrasticPig wrote: Generally I think when stock stagnates, they lower the price or introduce sales to get some inventory churn, no? Raising the price because an item isn't selling sounds counter-intuitive.
It makes sense to me. Since the CPUs aren't selling right now and they have a new version coming out soon, which they want to have seen as a comparable value to the old model, they raise the price up right now so that they look the same at launch. And then they lower the price on the old model shortly after to try to clear out old supply. Presumably there will be limited supply of the new model right upon release anyway and then people who had been waiting but couldn't get one might say f-it I'll buy the now seemingly on sale (because the price went back down) old model.

Or maybe they just like screwing around with prices randomly to keep us on our toes.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10871 posts
8122 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: It's not called ATL deals.
More like impossible to find GPU, wouldn't even try if that's the one part you need.
Dec 11, 2008
918 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
superxxxstud wrote: If they were smart, they would package this with a GPU. If I can't get a GPU near MSRP then what is this good for anwyay?
Might as well wait and wait and wait.

If they packaged GPUs with CPUs, that would reduce scalpers a little bit. Cryptos coming down = more GPUs available..
While I appreciate the sentiment, in a market where miners/scalpers are buying entire Pcs for the GPU and selling off parts, having to resell the CPU would not be much of a deterrent.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37038 posts
23003 upvotes
Center of Universe
Angultra wrote: More like impossible to find GPU, wouldn't even try if that's the one part you need.
My local Canada Computers and Memory Express drops cards more frequently than what shows up on the website.
It's only impossible if you wait for something to pop-up online, otherwise some effort to go into the store once a while will yield positive results.