Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Fido 3GB LTE Data Plan $15, 2 year contract + LG G Pad IV 8" free + 100 CAD gift card

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2018 2:06 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1904 posts
1508 upvotes
bylo wrote: A cheaper (and IMO better) way is to port the number to Fongo. The cost is $25 one-time. You get the phone number plus free calling in Canada using WiFi or data. And as a bonus, ported lines don't get shut down due to inactivity.
Wouldn't porting to voip.ms (8.75 $US) be a better option?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Balzard wrote: Wouldn't porting to voip.ms (8.75 $US) be a better option?
If I understand their pricing model, that would also incur ~$10/year to maintain an account. Then there are per-minute charges if you want to make calls on that number.

With Fongo $25 gets you the port, no recurring charges, free calling to Canadian numbers, and no deactivation for non-use. So if you plan to park a number for about two years or more then Fongo seems to be a better bet. If you plan to make Canadian calls then break-even is even shorter.

The analysis becomes more complex if you want to send/receive texts, foreign calling, etc. for which both voip.ms and Fongo charge extra.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
1333 posts
543 upvotes
Kingston
Balzard wrote: Wouldn't porting to voip.ms (8.75 $US) be a better option?
I guess it's because voip.ms charges both of in and out calling.
Aug 12, 2016
379 posts
272 upvotes
bylo wrote: If I understand their pricing model, that would also incur ~$10/year to maintain an account. Then there are per-minute charges if you want to make calls on that number.

With Fongo $25 gets you the port, no recurring charges, free calling to Canadian numbers, and no deactivation for non-use. So if you plan to park a number for about two years or more then Fongo seems to be a better bet. If you plan to make Canadian calls then break-even is even shorter.

The analysis becomes more complex if you want to send/receive texts, foreign calling, etc. for which both voip.ms and Fongo charge extra.
I think most people are not looking for continued use of the number and it’s more for the killing of a line and then don’t care what happens post line closure to that number.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jaswest2754 wrote: I think most people are not looking for continued use of the number and it’s more for the killing of a line and then don’t care what happens post line closure to that number.
As always with such comparisons, what something costs depends on how [much] it's used. For cancelling an account with no further need of the number then voip.ms seems better.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1904 posts
1508 upvotes
jaswest2754 wrote: I think most people are not looking for continued use of the number and it’s more for the killing of a line and then don’t care what happens post line closure to that number.
Yes, that's why I was suggesting voip.ms.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Balzard wrote: Yes, that's why I was suggesting voip.ms.
That may not be the case here since Fido's plan is data-only. Porting just to "kill" a line may not be such a good idea if people plan on using a VoIP service to continue making calls and exchanging texts. In that case my original suggestion to use Fongo will be less expensive than voip.ms, especially over the 2-year duration of the contract. Also many people who subscribe to Fido's "free" tablet promos use the tablet on WiFi and put the SIM in their smartphones. There's lots of discussion on how to use Fongo and similar services, as well as voip.ms in the various threads that exist about Fido's 3G/$15 "naked" data plan as well as their various "free" tablet promos.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1904 posts
1508 upvotes
bylo wrote: That may not be the case here since Fido's plan is data-only. Porting just to "kill" a line may not be such a good idea if people plan on using a VoIP service to continue making calls and exchanging texts. In that case my original suggestion to use Fongo will be less expensive than voip.ms, especially over the 2-year duration of the contract. Also many people who subscribe to Fido's "free" tablet promos use the tablet on WiFi and put the SIM in their smartphones. There's lots of discussion on how to use Fongo and similar services, as well as voip.ms in the various threads that exist about Fido's 3G/$15 "naked" data plan as well as their various "free" tablet promos.
Since it's almost impossible to get only the Data plan now, the workaround is to signup for a voice plan too, but only to cancel that voice plan by porting that number afterwards. And I think the cheapest way to do so is by porting to voip.ms. You obviously wouldn't port out the number associated with the Data plan, or it would cancel the very plan you wish to keep.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2002
2461 posts
949 upvotes
Halton
Balzard wrote: Since it's almost impossible to get only the Data plan now, the workaround is to signup for a voice plan too, but only to cancel that voice plan by porting that number afterwards. And I think the cheapest way to do so is by porting to voip.ms. You obviously wouldn't port out the number associated with the Data plan, or it would cancel the very plan you wish to keep.
Call fido store, I just did 2 days ago.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2637 posts
2979 upvotes
Niagara, ON
Balzard wrote: Since it's almost impossible to get only the Data plan now, the workaround is to signup for a voice plan too, but only to cancel that voice plan by porting that number afterwards. And I think the cheapest way to do so is by porting to voip.ms. You obviously wouldn't port out the number associated with the Data plan, or it would cancel the very plan you wish to keep.
I am 2 for 2 at Costco with signing up. #NeverGiveUp
Nov 12, 2004
104 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
antonywoo wrote: I went to two bestbuy, both rep told me the LG G pad is 0$ upfront but there is 14$/month fee on top of the 15$ for 3GB monthly fee.
I am very confused...as the rep even went to check with manager... so is the LG G pad FREE? or it's subsidized?
The rep is mistaken. Its a one time activation fee of 25, 15 per month fee. The tablet is regular 336. Subsidy is 336 which equates to 0 upfront cost to you. Should you cancel at any time durimg the 24 month term than you are charged 14 per month remaining in the contract.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1904 posts
1508 upvotes
Fire wrote: Call fido store, I just did 2 days ago.
Oh, that's good to know!
MegaSilver wrote: I am 2 for 2 at Costco with signing up. #NeverGiveUp
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Argue all you want. There isn't a right answer and a wrong answer. There are two different answers that address different needs.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1538 posts
1228 upvotes
Is this deal still active?

If not, please move this to expired deal.
Freedom mobile, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Checkout 51, Drop, Stack, Wise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM, Simplii and Tangerine customer.
Dec 21, 2011
87 posts
87 upvotes
North York
I'm sorry that this is two weeks delayed, but I thought I'd share my good experience with nabbing this deal

Walked into the Best buy at Yonge & Eglington here in Toronto on March 10th since the one in North York didn't have any LG tablets left and wouldn't allow me to sign up and later on return to collect a new stock.

Had a very friendly rep named Catherine (short, asian) handle all the setup. She asked me at first if I'm an existing Fido customer, to which I said "Yes, I've been with Rogers for many years now". She replied "Okay, good" and continued the setup with no further questions asked about my account with Rogers and lack of account with Fido. Perhaps it's just policy to ask, but she clearly didn't authenticate my statement.

She clearly explained all the features of the plan to me, being very diligent to not miss any information and to ensure that I would be receiving the 3GB promo, not the 2GB (a couple of times she contacted another rep on the phone, possibly a Fido employee).
Because she didn't have any new stock of the LG tablet, she offered me an open-box model. To compensate, she added another $50 to the $100 gift card promo (which I never asked about, so that's a huge bonus as well).
Altogether, the process took 40 minutes, and I happily walked out of the store with a new cheap plan, free LG tablet, and $150 gift card (I didn't ask about cashing it out, so for now I'll hold onto it and later on consider exchanging it online). In three months time I'll attempt to get the 100% off offer.

The next day I requested to port my Rogers number over to Fongo. It took about three days and $25, and I was able to use my phone just fine during that entire time. I also added Fongo's 6 month SMS bundle.
So far the Fongo experience on the iPhone has been decent, and completely manageable. Call quality is pretty good. No dropouts, just fuzzy at times when deep within a concrete building, which is totally understandable.
Over time I hope contacts will text me via my iMessage-email-address. Most have been texting my ported-number, which will show up within Fongo. I simply reply to their message through iMessage with my email address, and the conversation continues there. Minor confusion, but they get over it fast.

I would like to thank all contributors who've made it much easier to know how to obtain this deal. I'm so pleased to have a plan that is 50% cheaper while offering 12x the data I had before. Thank you all.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1076 posts
1290 upvotes
NB
Deal expired - G Pad 4 is now $149 on a 2-year contract.
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"