• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 12:05 am
[OP]
Oct 17, 2006
597 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] Garmin Fenix 5x Sapphire 51mm Multisport GPS Watch with TOPO $399.99

Was on sale previously for $350 at BB and Mec but this is still an excellent price. Two week battery life and built in N. American Maps so you can use without a smartphone when hiking/cycling etc. Sapphire scratch resistant glass and mil-spec casing makes this a great watch for the outdoorsy/sporty type.

Good review:

Precision satellite navigation: GPS and GLONASS reception ensure more accurate and reliable tracking across more environment.

ABC essentials: Built-in altimeter, barometer, and compass functions ensure you have relevant, real-time information about changes in altitude, air pressure, and direction.

TOPO Canada preloaded: When you're powering through the backcountry, it pays to know precisely where you are. That's why the fenix 5X is loaded with Canadian topographic info, which helps with at-a-glance navigation and location reference.

Internal gyroscope: The fenix 5X's internal gyroscope improves both positional accuracy and the watch's battery life, so you can navigate with precision and push your daily goals to the limit.

Multiple sports modes: Swim profile, ski/board mode, rowing, stand-up paddle board, and golf settings ensure a variety of movements are accurately recorded.

Bluetooth and Wi-Fi: Bluetooth LE technology lets you sync with your compatible smartphone to get notifications, including emails, texts, and other alerts, along with music control and more. With Wi-Fi connectivity, you can automatically send activity uploads via your wireless network for sharing on Garmin Connect.

Smart notifications: Staying connected is easy with the fenix 5X, which can display your texts, emails, and other smart device notifications.

Stylish, durable design: High-resolution full-colour Chroma display with LED backlighting is easy to read in all lighting conditions. The sapphire lens is exceptionally scratch-resistant to shrug off everyday wear.

Water resistance: 10ATM/100-metre water rating means you can wear the watch in the rain or while swimming.

Long battery life: A rechargeable lithium ion battery provides up 9 days of battery life when placed in smartwatch mode.
Last edited by statick on May 23rd, 2020 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
25 replies
Dec 2, 2017
276 posts
169 upvotes
Unless you are serious athlete, I wouldn't recommend this watch. Super bulky and heavy.

Most people will be fine with FR245 or vivoactive 4 for the same price, but with some nice extra features.
Apr 11, 2003
656 posts
136 upvotes
Edmonton
Really should update the title to "Garmin Fenix...". It would be nice to know WHICH watch it is, not just what the glass/size is :) Just sayin.
Dec 16, 2010
695 posts
538 upvotes
Canada
Have this watch. Use it as a daily driver and love it. Good price!!
Sep 19, 2010
78 posts
51 upvotes
vancouver, BC
It's a good deal but I decided to go with FR645. It's between Fenix and 245 in terms of bulkiness as well as features
Jul 9, 2017
46 posts
49 upvotes
Just got this from the Mec sale a couple of months ago for $349.99. Was worried about the size, but I actually really like it.

My uses for it are:
Running. Allows me to not only get the relevant Strava data that gets exported, but also lets me easily hit a lap button to time certain segments/certain laps). Given the always-on screen, you can check your pace/distance/time so very easily.
Biking. Same as above. Additionally great for pre-mapping routes etc.
Hiking. Maps/directions are so clutch. Can't wait to try this out on winter mountain hiking (it has buttons, so you don't need to fidget by taking off your gloves like you would on a regular touch screen smart watch).
Step-counter and heart-rate monitor are a given (though the HR monitor is BANG on for me - I've cross-referenced with multiple manual checks and even tried it on my gf with great success).
Always-on screen with different widgets is so cool (I have it set up to show battery, weather, distance walked/run, steps, date/time, and total calorie count which seems to be decently accurate when cross-referencing with my BMR and third-party activity calculations).

My pros: looks really good, insane battery life, waterproof, scratch-resistant screen, amazing sport/GPS functionality, accurate HR monitor
My cons: no music or garmin pay on this

I am sure there are some cheaper options out there, but for $350 to $400, this is great value for everything it does.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2178 posts
510 upvotes
I just could not charge my Fenix as the charging cable can't connect with the watch. It seems I should have bought those rubber plugs. For the price, GARMIN should include them in the box.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9293 posts
4932 upvotes
andreid wrote: I just could not charge my Fenix as the charging cable can't connect with the watch. It seems I should have bought those rubber plugs. For the price, GARMIN should include them in the box.
How come? Damaged pins?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
4920 posts
4558 upvotes
andreid wrote: I just could not charge my Fenix as the charging cable can't connect with the watch. It seems I should have bought those rubber plugs. For the price, GARMIN should include them in the box.
I got my rubber plugs from Amazon. Since I shower with my watch occasionally I have to use the q-tip to clean the charging port despite rubber plug as as it doesn't make it 100% waterproof. Love the watch and love the 10+ days battery life. If you need a smartwatch go with Samsung or Appl, if you want a fitness watch and want rugged features go with Garmin.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4114 posts
1371 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah, the plugs are necessary with the charging configuration of the 5 and 6 Fenixes. My old Fenix 3 had a (very expensive) cradle that was never fail. The bonus of the Fenix 5/6 approach is I bought multiple cables because they're cheap. So, I have one at home, one in the car, and another at the office. Pulling the plugs is a small pain but it's better than cleaning out the contacts. IMO

The 5X is way too massive a watch for me. Plus I am a marathoner and cyclist, not much of a hiker so its extra functions don't have much value for me. My 5s fits my wrist, is a tad less rugged looking than the 5x and doubles as a daily watch.

Still, an upvote from me - this is a decent price for this tech.
Jul 5, 2008
283 posts
61 upvotes
Last year I tried this watch for a few days and it was too big to wear all the time. I hike a lot and figured the maps would be great but the VivoActive 3 is a better for me to wear all the time.

The 5X is still a nice watch, I'd just need much bigger wrists :)
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1539 posts
771 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
EuRaFree wrote: Unless you are serious athlete, I wouldn't recommend this watch. Super bulky and heavy.

Most people will be fine with FR245 or vivoactive 4 for the same price, but with some nice extra features.
100% this. I had this watch last fall and returned it. It is a damn tank. I bought a 245 this spring and it weighs half as much. Much better to wear as an everyday watch.
Mar 19, 2018
37 posts
28 upvotes
I have a garmin forerunner 935... i always hear people comparing Fenix to that...is the only difference the shell and touch screen?
May 29, 2007
78 posts
4 upvotes
nice. same price on amazon but best buy has ebates and amazon doesn't anymore
Last edited by chrishin on May 23rd, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2178 posts
510 upvotes
chatbox wrote: How come? Damaged pins?
The charging connector is idiotic engineering as it is pins inside the watch instead of connectors. The result is dirt and sweat will corrupt it. The solution seems to be cleaning or a better cable. I am waiting for the latter to arrive... and resolve the problem. Hopefully.
So buy those plugs immediately as that charging connector is used in all "5" watches.

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recre ... connection