Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Garmin Vivoactive 4 and 4s $299 at Best Buy

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2020 12:25 pm
[OP]
Member
Dec 17, 2018
260 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa

[Best Buy] Garmin Vivoactive 4 and 4s $299 at Best Buy

Was lower on Prime Day, but without your time machine, this is your current best bet. Link is for the 4 but the 4s models are on sale as well as a few other Garmin products.

My question is, as a runner who does strength and no swimming, am I better with the Forerunner 645 with music that I bought a couple of days ago for $290 (still in transit, unopened), or this?

*edited to add, same price at MEC so you can get 1% with Rakuten
*edited to add that it is the same price on Amazon
*edited to add that it is the same price on Costco.ca
It is more expensive at Sportcheck and is full price on garmin.ca
Last edited by snazarella on Dec 18th, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
6 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 17, 2004
4813 posts
870 upvotes
It comes down to how hardcore of a runner you are.

Are you crazy about running metrics? Like stride length, and other stuff. Do you want a very sporty styled watch?

For majority of people, the vivoactive 4 and 4s is the better choice. Styling is better for all day use. It's made for fitness tracking. It's kind of like the jack of all trades type of watch.

Majority of people will be better suited to the vivoactive series.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Member
Aug 12, 2011
224 posts
115 upvotes
NORTH YORK
agree with the poster above. if you are hardcore runner stay with the 645. if you like to do a bit of everything or want touchscreen (instead of just physical buttons), then go with the vivoactive 4.

i got the va4 on prime day and it's been great.
Sr. Member
Jan 2, 2012
682 posts
171 upvotes
SASKATOON
I have the Vivoactive 3 and I do like it a lot, but I've been thinking of switching for running. My biggest qualms about the VA3 is that with the single button you need to use the touch screen to start and end activities which is a pain when there's sweat dripping off your fingers and can't be done easily if you have gloves on in the cold. Also, if I'm wearing a jacket and the cuff gets sweaty it can sometimes accidentally trigger the touch scroll bar on the side.
I'm not sure if these issues are solved with the two buttons on the VA4, but if those still cause issues I'd definitely go with the Forerunner.
[OP]
Member
Dec 17, 2018
260 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa
bluetroll wrote: It comes down to how hardcore of a runner you are.

Are you crazy about running metrics? Like stride length, and other stuff. Do you want a very sporty styled watch?

For majority of people, the vivoactive 4 and 4s is the better choice. Styling is better for all day use. It's made for fitness tracking. It's kind of like the jack of all trades type of watch.

Majority of people will be better suited to the vivoactive series.
swk2006 wrote: agree with the poster above. if you are hardcore runner stay with the 645. if you like to do a bit of everything or want touchscreen (instead of just physical buttons), then go with the vivoactive 4.

i got the va4 on prime day and it's been great.
Thank you both. He is currently wearing a VA3 and I am wearing a VA4s. We are runners who also do strength, yoga, hiking and so on. No golf and no swimming. I've heard good things about the Forerunner series, but I don't like the appearance of it as much as I like the VA4 series for myself personally. I know that my husband is less fussy about appearance. I am leaning towards the VA4 for him as it seems more well rounnded of a watch, though I know that he would enjoy the extra running metrics that the 645 offers.

At the end of the day the VA4 is a newer watch while the 645 is at end of life and that is a big concern for me when I am spending my dollars.
[OP]
Member
Dec 17, 2018
260 posts
236 upvotes
Ottawa
DWinSask wrote: I have the Vivoactive 3 and I do like it a lot, but I've been thinking of switching for running. My biggest qualms about the VA3 is that with the single button you need to use the touch screen to start and end activities which is a pain when there's sweat dripping off your fingers and can't be done easily if you have gloves on in the cold. Also, if I'm wearing a jacket and the cuff gets sweaty it can sometimes accidentally trigger the touch scroll bar on the side.
I'm not sure if these issues are solved with the two buttons on the VA4, but if those still cause issues I'd definitely go with the Forerunner.
They are WAY better with the VA4, though I did accidentally delete the first 6km of an 11km run two weeks ago when I paused the run using the button and then my cuff brushed the face and hit the delete option. Argh!

Top