• Feb 13th, 2019 8:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16705 posts
3670 upvotes
Toronto

Best Buy Geek Squad Certified Open Box gets two thumbs up from me

I like stuff like Apple refurbished products since those are manufacturer refurbished and essentially brand new. However, in the past when I got open box from Best Buy in-store, it was quite variable, and ranged from near new to clearly used. Some even had missing items, and would be priced accordingly.

That was always in-store though. I've only had one experience with Geek Squad Certified Open Box on their online store so far, but it's been quite a positive one. This is the open box TV I got:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/so ... 30152.aspx

However, it was a different listing with a reduced price and a Geek Squad Certified Open Box logo which I can no longer find.

First off the the pricing was 20% off. Most open box stuff in-store in the past was in the 10-15% off range, and occasionally the pricing discount was only say 5% (presumably after the new pricing dropped, and they forgot to update the open box pricing). However, I've noticed a lot of the online Geek Squad Certified Open Box TVs are 20-25% off.

The box looked like it was previously opened, but that's it. Everything else was totally pristine. All of the accessories were in their original packaging, and sealed. The TV still had the protective stickers on it, and the outer protective cover was there. Furthermore, the screws for the base mount were still in a sealed package, and the TV had never been VESA mounted. So basically the TV was brand new, never used.

I suspect the TV may have been purchased, the box then opened, and then it was returned before anything was done with it. Or maybe it was returned without even being opened and then Geek Squad people opened it to inspect it. I don't know how their other Geek Squad Certified Open Box products are, but based on this experience, I'd be inclined to try it again if available for my next purchase.

BTW, I see lots of open box items on their site which do not have the Geek Squad Certified Open Box logo. However, when you click on them, there is a blurb about Geek Squad Certified Open Box. Are all Best Buy sold "Open Box" items Geek Squad Certified? Don't get confused by the third party sellers though. Some sell cheap refurbs, and there is actually one company named "Open Box" which has nothing to do with Best Buy open box.
5 replies
Jan 10, 2019
2 posts
2 upvotes
I bought an iPad Pro 12.9 256GB on Dec. 22 2018. Checking on Apple support site showed the warranty expired on Aug. 2019. That meant the iPad was originally bought back in Aug. 2018, 3 months ago. I lost about 3-4 months of Apple warranty. So, beware that Open Box does not mean only 1 month old (within the return or exchange time period). The box looked used and dirty and the plastic wrapper around the iPad was some kind of shopping bag, not the original one. Basically it looked used.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16705 posts
3670 upvotes
Toronto
nqnrfd wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:57 am
I bought an iPad Pro 12.9 256GB on Dec. 22 2018. Checking on Apple support site showed the warranty expired on Aug. 2019. That meant the iPad was originally bought back in Aug. 2018, 3 months ago. I lost about 3-4 months of Apple warranty. So, beware that Open Box does not mean only 1 month old (within the return or exchange time period). The box looked used and dirty and the plastic wrapper around the iPad was some kind of shopping bag, not the original one. Basically it looked used.
Was it Open Box or Geek Squad Certified Open Box?

Not the same thing.

In addition, there is a third party seller named Open Box that sells through BestBuy.ca. I make sure to exclude all third party sellers in my browsing there.
Jan 10, 2019
2 posts
2 upvotes
The box has the label of Geek Squad Certified Open Box on it.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16513 posts
2190 upvotes
nqnrfd wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:57 am
Geek Squad said there is full warranty on these products - so I guess they would cover the missing portion of the warranty?

Also, how was the return policy?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18619 posts
3246 upvotes
GTA West
Any comments on getting camera lenses 'Geek Squad Certified Open Box' ?
I'm leery here since even a small amount of mis-handling could adversely affect the product's performance.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?