[Best Buy] Google Home Mini - Black Friday Sale $35 starting Nov. 23

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2018 10:29 am
Jan 4, 2013
426 posts
145 upvotes
flopticalcube wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 10:41 pm
I'm waiting to see them show up in thrift stores like so many Wii Balance boards. Peak AI assistant.
I spent a ton on a used one when they first came out and were all the rage for a gift for my sister, she litterally used it twice and thats it... what a waste of money....
Feb 5, 2012
244 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
bach2266 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 2:39 pm
I have both and I don't see a big difference in sound quality. The best is to use the Google mini and tell it to send the audio signal to a sound system with a Chromecast Audio connected to it. The Chromecast Audio will probably be around $35 this BF and it is much better than any stand alone speaker, let alone the standard Google home.
Wouldn't it be better to just change the speaker of the Google home mini to the sound system (through Bluetooth) vs. buying a Chromecast audio?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4226 posts
1296 upvotes
Moncton
It is available right now at The Source. $35 so free shipping. Consider the Google Home for $90 if you are going to the States soon (where it is C$103).
https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/smart-ho ... /108076841

The source also has the Echo Dot $35 (3rd gen) or $25 (2nd gen).
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1992 posts
338 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
tunda11 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 7:52 am
just messing with the staples.ca site (tunda11's image didn't quote of the staples flyer) with a couple of these minis in my cart (yes, I know it starts tomorrow). I have a free dymo labeller with purch over $75 coupon to use .. added it to card and tried the coupon and it says that I don't have the $75 to use the coupon. implying that the google mini's are excluded. yet, on the back of the coupon the only hardware type products that are listed as excluded says Bose. ah stooples.
Woodstock, ON
Jul 12, 2013
24 posts
10 upvotes
Edmonton
Lowes has this for $35 too but if you sign up for their newsletter you get a $10 off coupon (which just worked for me). I bought 2 so I could get free shipping ($50 to qualify).
Mar 18, 2008
461 posts
117 upvotes
russbarden wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 10:07 pm
I spent a ton on a used one when they first came out and were all the rage for a gift for my sister, she litterally used it twice and thats it... what a waste of money....
Lol I bought one last blackfriday + i got a free one with my Pixel 2 XL purchase. I thought when I took possession of my new home this Spring that I would go crazy with making it a smart home and boy have I been wrong for the past 5 months. The 2 google homes are still in storage and I have no plans of using them. I barely even use google assistant as it is on my phone but it wasn't really for a lack of trying but Google doesn't play nice with Philips Hue at all. For those who already don't use their Google Assistant on their phones having this won't make you use it more so even though it's low cost, think twice.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2379 posts
670 upvotes
Windsor
tjindersingh wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 10:45 pm
If you're really invested in Google's Assistant/ecosystem you may want this, but if the main thing you're going to be using one for is music/podcasts etc., the Amazon Echo Dot 3rd Gen sounds way better.
"Way better" is not accurate, IMO. I'd say they're on par with each other now, from a "sound quality" point of view, depending on your preference. The Mini's voice is undoubtedly clearer, whereas the Dot is more bass-centric, which muffles Alexa's voice. When playing music, the difference is similar to turning up the bass knob on a stereo, and you can adjust the EQ on the Mini to make them sound basically the same.

As well, the actual assistant on the Dot is brutal compared with the Mini; there is really no comparison. The only thing the Dot is the clear winner in is shopping.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14170 posts
3212 upvotes
gbill2004 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 9:07 pm
Why on earth would someone buy one of these? All it does is help Google spy on you.
As if your phone isn't already...
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Apr 5, 2010
45 posts
8 upvotes
winson82 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 10:50 am
Lol I bought one last blackfriday + i got a free one with my Pixel 2 XL purchase. I thought when I took possession of my new home this Spring that I would go crazy with making it a smart home and boy have I been wrong for the past 5 months. The 2 google homes are still in storage and I have no plans of using them. I barely even use google assistant as it is on my phone but it wasn't really for a lack of trying but Google doesn't play nice with Philips Hue at all. For those who already don't use their Google Assistant on their phones having this won't make you use it more so even though it's low cost, think twice.
In my personal experience Philips Hue works great with my google home/assistant. I currently have 3 mini's and 1 full size unit and use them everyday. I could certainly get by without them but they provide a bit of convenience that I consider worthwhile.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5092 posts
932 upvotes
Toronto
$30 for BNIB picked up today at queen / Broadview ... ;-)
Feb 26, 2008
9 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
$34.95 @ Indigo + 5X Aeroplan Miles and available now. $89.95 for the full version.
Mar 18, 2008
461 posts
117 upvotes
dizzhizz wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 12:09 pm
In my personal experience Philips Hue works great with my google home/assistant. I currently have 3 mini's and 1 full size unit and use them everyday. I could certainly get by without them but they provide a bit of convenience that I consider worthwhile.
I think you got lucky. I've had really bad experience so far and as I was doing research online and troubleshooting it was only then I discovered that it was the norm.