• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2009 2:20 pm
[OP]
Aug 27, 2007
129 posts
7 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux

[Best Buy] Best Buy - GPS, TomTom XL 330S, $199

I'll need someone to verify this since I no longer have the flyer. On the Best Buy flyer, there is a TomTom XL 330 model priced at $199.00. In it's description, it indicates that it has Text-to-speech, which is an error.

After some arguing my dad was able to get the TomTom Xl 330S for 199.99, originally priced at 269.99.

Scroll to the end of the page.

Who ever has a hard copy of the fly can perhaps verify.

Edit: Tts hard to see the details, but on the web copy of flyer you can make you SPEAKS STREET NAMES :)
10 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11916 posts
4683 upvotes
Flyer says it "says street names" but the model number the the XL330.

Unlikely they will give you the "S" model.
[OP]
Aug 27, 2007
129 posts
7 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
I have the S model.
[OP]
Aug 27, 2007
129 posts
7 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
The underwhelming number of responses makes me ask the question: Is this even a good deal?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7493 posts
415 upvotes
Toronto
You can't go wrong staying away from Tom Tom...
[OP]
Aug 27, 2007
129 posts
7 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
why is that? I like tom tom more than garmin
Jan 20, 2009
105 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
i got a garmin nuvi205 for 99 during boxing day, cant be happier. doesnt do anything fancy, and honestly i hate it when it talks, because if i need to see something i will look at the screen. :)
[OP]
Aug 27, 2007
129 posts
7 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Text-to-speech in key. Esp. if you use it in a foreign place where everything is new. It really streamlines the process and lets you concentrates on driving. While I had no complaints about Garmin's navigation or the GUI, the interface is was not user friendly.

Non qwerty keyboard (perhaps this could be changed I couldn't figure out how), special menu for symbols led to more tapping than required, the intense accuracy required which really sucks especially with Quebec's French. I found it way to systematic. TomTom is more convenient with a "smarter" interface whereby it tends to give you a best match more often that not.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7493 posts
415 upvotes
Toronto
GPS is all about taking you from A to B...my Tom Tom One often doesn't do that in an acceptable fashion...all the way from Toronto to Florida.

I haven't never seen anything this bad in terms of navigation and map accuracy/interpretation...it is terrible.
Dec 11, 2008
918 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
I bought the Garmin 255W for $170, a better model for less. You can't get it for that price anymore so there is little value to my post, but it seems to be kind of an RFD thing for posters to do this.
[OP]
Aug 27, 2007
129 posts
7 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
thanks for the feedback everyone