Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Grandstream HT812 2-Port ATA with Gigabit NAT Router for VoIP • $62.99 w/FS [Or PC Canada $56+shipping]

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2021 9:23 pm
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
768 upvotes
Emporium wrote: Webslinger's help over the years was priceless for many of us.

Not for this specific Model, but the FPL forums do have quite a few setup guides for other Grandsream units, like the HT286, HT502, HT503, HT701, HT702, HT704.. Pretty sure it would be easy to extrapolate from those guides if needed. Menus may be a little different, but settings surely the same.
This guide is probably as close as you can get for the settings that Webslinger would suggest for FPL: https://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18839.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2020
1085 posts
1120 upvotes
Ick, yeah, it'd be like using the router or firewall on your cable-only (non wireless) broadband modem... Or my Ooma, just icky and barebones featurewise. Not designed for much. Not sure why they throw it in on these things.. Guess it's slightly better than nothing.
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
768 upvotes
AMD wrote: Curious as to what is the router used for in that ATA?
"Includes a built-in NAT router which can handle routing speeds up to 100MBps"

http://www.grandstream.com/products/gat ... duct/ht812

Its WAN to LAN throughput is limited to 100 Mbps. The specific usage for routing on a LAN and, I suspect, for protecting anything connected to it would be narrow.
Aug 9, 2007
74 posts
52 upvotes
Gatineau, Québec
I’m interesting to switch to voip.ms with the grandstand ht812 but Im very curious for heavy talker how much fires it cost in general monthly ?

I do talk due to work and family and we are currently with Koodo homephone at 10$/month and it’s working very well but we do an average of 2500-3500 minutes per months !

Based on my small calculation with voip.ms it would cost me more than my 10$ Koodo package

What would be my opinions.

Is it Possible to call forward those number that is a lot of call time to my cell phone to lower the pay per minute on voip.ms ?

What is your average monthly usage for those that have family ?

Thx
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
10564 posts
19678 upvotes
Montreal
^ Here are the rates for VoIP.ms

$4.25 per month unlimited incoming calls + half a cent per minute for outgoing calls (Canada).

You talk a lot! You might as well stay with Koodo if it's only $10 per month and it works well. There's not much money to save there. It's not like going from a $50 per month land line from Bell to VoIP; there would be a lot of potential money to be saved but not in your case.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26840 posts
24320 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Temporel wrote: Koodo if it's only $10 per month and it works well
I see $5/mon plus $130 for the hub: Koodo wireless home phone.

This looks like it connects to Koodo's cell network directly rather than ride on residential broadband. In that sense it should be simpler to set up and more reliable. There's a battery in the hub so there's a built-in UPS, at least for that.

Anyone have experience connecting this to home phone wiring?

See also: The 101 on Koodo wireless home phone
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
10564 posts
19678 upvotes
Montreal
bylo wrote: I see $5/mon plus $130 for the hub: Koodo wireless home phone.

This looks like it connects to Koodo's cell network directly rather than ride on residential broadband. In that sense it should be simpler to set up and more reliable. There's a battery in the hub so there's a built-in UPS, at least for that.

Anyone have experience connecting this to home phone wiring?

See also: The 101 on Koodo wireless home phone
In the small details it says $5 is for 12 months then the regular price is $20 per month. Beyond 2,500 minutes, add 50 cents per minute.
Last edited by Temporel on Aug 17th, 2021 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26840 posts
24320 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Temporel wrote: In the small details it says $5 is for 12 months then the regular price is $20 per month. Beyond 2,500 minutes, add 50 cents per minute.

Also, don't you need to be a Komodo client to have this?
You're right. Also I see that Rogers, Fido, Virgin et al also offer this--all amazingly <sarcasm> with exactly the same price.
Last edited by bylo on Aug 17th, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6480 posts
1608 upvotes
Montreal
AMD wrote: Curious as to what is the router used for in that ATA? Usually the ATA is already plugged into a router.

Just curious as I'm still using my Linksys PAP2T with VoIP.ms. Still works great after around 15 years!
I ordered the Grandstream to replace my PAPT2. It's been in service with VOIP.MS since 2010. Its AC adapter has never had a problem. I've had a few line reliability issues lately which may or may not be related to the PAPT2 but I figure it's time.
Phils
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2009
1221 posts
784 upvotes
Just checked the FPL website and noticed that their VOIP unlock key is now $99.95 and to port your number it's another $25. Prices have sure gone up! At least the price for an ATA is still low.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2084 posts
1560 upvotes
frugal1 wrote: Just checked the FPL website and noticed that their VOIP unlock key is now $99.95 and to port your number it's another $25. Prices have sure gone up! At least the price for an ATA is still low.
At this price you could just pay their monthly fee for their Fongo home service, I believe it includes the ATA adapter.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4033 posts
4443 upvotes
Muskoka
AMD wrote: Curious as to what is the router used for in that ATA? Usually the ATA is already plugged into a router.

Just curious as I'm still using my Linksys PAP2T with VoIP.ms. Still works great after around 15 years!
I believe this could act as your main router without wifi. The main benefit would be it would default QoS to the voip service when required. This is a GB router, even though BestBuy says 100. Other docs else where show 10/100/1000. You could then plug another router into the LAN port of this and connect all of your other devices to the 2nd router.

The Grandstream does have a DHCP server and some other options, but I'm not sure how full featured it is.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2009
1221 posts
784 upvotes
You may still be better off long term with the unlock key. The monthly home phone is $4.95 and you have to pay for their ATA which is $29.

I use voip.ms myself, but if anyone wants a very basic and cheap VOIP service, FPL may be the way to go. However, FPL only has basic 911, which may be a concern for some.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
4537 posts
4899 upvotes
Whitby
How is call quality. Last time I had a buddy with this the quality was garbage. Why bother if your going to spend most of call yelling "what?!?".

Upvote for post.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19363 posts
6705 upvotes
Toronto
wing0 wrote: I'm surprised your AC adapter hasn't crapped out yet.
Mine crapped out after many years so I cut the power cord, soldered to a USB cable, and use a cellphone charger to power the PAP2T.
Feb 20, 2019
180 posts
261 upvotes
DasHip wrote: Ick, yeah, it'd be like using the router or firewall on your cable-only (non wireless) broadband modem... Or my Ooma, just icky and barebones featurewise. Not designed for much. Not sure why they throw it in on these things.. Guess it's slightly better than nothing.
ArrowFlynn wrote: "Includes a built-in NAT router which can handle routing speeds up to 100MBps"

http://www.grandstream.com/products/gat ... duct/ht812

Its WAN to LAN throughput is limited to 100 Mbps. The specific usage for routing on a LAN and, I suspect, for protecting anything connected to it would be narrow.
Historically, the reason for having a router built-in is because NAT and SIP sometimes don't play along that well. You can get all sorts of issues such as with registering or with audio (one-way, none at all). So, having the SIP "client" (in this case the ATA's internal SIP software) sit right at the edge of the WAN, eliminates NAT, and thus problems.

BUT, as others have mentioned, the cons are usually not worth it. In this specific instance, the firewall features are crippled. For instance, on the HT8XX devices, you're limited to 8 port forwarding rules... blegh. Also, you can't do firewall ACLs at all (source/destination ip and/or port allowing/blocking).

The CPU on these things is also pretty subpar, and even though the ethernet interface supports 1GbE, from experience, you'd be surprised if you managed to get even 100Mbps of throughput from the device.

In conclusion, find it hard nowadays to find a use case for using them as a router.
Feb 20, 2019
180 posts
261 upvotes
audit13 wrote: Mine crapped out after many years so I cut the power cord, soldered to a USB cable, and use a cellphone charger to power the PAP2T.
Ah, a true McGyver-style repair.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2005
3316 posts
1049 upvotes
Temporel wrote: In the small details it says $5 is for 12 months then the regular price is $20 per month. Beyond 2,500 minutes, add 50 cents per minute.
Call Forwarding minutes for Koodo Home Phone is up to 2,500 minutes. Beyond 2,500 minutes, add 50 cents per minute.
Aug 4, 2006
188 posts
83 upvotes
Burnaby
Should I upgrade my RT31P2? And get this? Or wait until it crap out on me.

Any advantage to upgrading?