Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Grandstream HT812 2-Port ATA with Gigabit NAT Router for VoIP • $62.99 w/FS [Or PC Canada $56+shipping]

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2021 9:23 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2374 posts
1374 upvotes
GTA
Hey, I'm kinda not familiar with VOIP and these boxes but I had a couple questions about this Grandstream and the OBi202, if anyone can help me out.

Someone once mentioned in a thread that if you plug a male-male RJ11 jack going from the GS or the OBi right into the RJ11 jack in your wall it turns all existing RJ11 outlets in your home VOIP ready, and you can plug in any phone into any jack and it will work? Is this true?

ie. If you don't have one of those 5 in 1 handset combos with answering machine from Costco you can just use any corded or cordless phone existing you have and just plug it into any free outlet so as long as the OBi/GB is plugged into your router and then runs into your RJ11 wall outlet?

Or is this not possible?
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
768 upvotes
heyyahblah wrote:

Someone once mentioned in a thread that if you plug a male-male RJ11 jack going from the GS or the OBi right into the RJ11 jack in your wall it turns all existing RJ11 outlets in your home VOIP ready, and you can plug in any phone into any jack and it will work? Is this true?
A lot of information from Webslinger's old threads are still useful. You need to make sure power from the telephone company's line is not running through the phone jacks in the house first. Yes, it works.

newegg-obihai-obi200-49-99-free-shippin ... #p28405624
Webslinger wrote: How do I connect an ATA to my house, so that all existing phone jacks work?

You may need to disconnect your Telco company's line at the demarc--or make sure power from it is not running to your existing phone jacks. Otherwise, you run this risk of frying your ATA. Visit http://www.voipmyhouse.com/#thesolution.

Also, check out bogolisk and canadaodyowner's pictures/posts over here: freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p24916597
and
freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... #p24917399

There's a related thread over here (might be a good place to ask):
phone-jack-wiring-question-voip-1293295/#p16243162
Mar 2, 2015
471 posts
1157 upvotes
Montreal, QC
heyyahblah wrote: Hey, I'm kinda not familiar with VOIP and these boxes but I had a couple questions about this Grandstream and the OBi202, if anyone can help me out.

ie. If you don't have one of those 5 in 1 handset combos with answering machine from Costco you can just use any corded or cordless phone existing you have and just plug it into any free outlet so as long as the OBi/GB is plugged into your router and then runs into your RJ11 wall outlet?

Or is this not possible?
Very possible, you’ll likely just need to disconnect the bell lines at the source (likely near your breaker panel).
Dec 24, 2010
405 posts
267 upvotes
Montreal
ArrowFlynn wrote:
Check to ensure your ATA is registered when that happens. VoIP.ms does have a live chat option: https://voip.ms (on the right). You can ask them to double check registration status.
Follow their configuration guide: https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Grandstrea ... 02_-_HT802.

If you find you're constantly losing registration status, that's something you'll have to work through with them. Someone useful there should be able to assist.
Thank you! will do.
ArrowFlynn wrote:
I am terribly sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences to you and your family

I know that doesn't mean much coming from a random stranger on the internet, but I am genuinely sitting here in saddened shock.
I appreciate it. Thank you!
ArrowFlynn wrote:
No. I was suggesting that if you're not getting a SIP scanner problem on your OBi202 but you are with your Grandstream ATA, the explanation may be due to using Webslinger's guide (the reason why you're not getting ghost calls on the OBI202) and not enabling similar settings on your Grandstream ATA.

But if you're completely losing registration, that's not due to SIP scanners.
I understand now. You are suggesting that either I also shield the SIP attacks on HT802 as well as i did on my Obi 202 or to shift the shield to my router so it will shield both Obi and HT802.

I was suspecting a firmware update required on my HT802, or a hardware malfunction on my HT802 but according to your diagnostic i agree it is unlikely.

I was following the wiki.VOIP.ms setup guide for HT802 but what bothers me is that the guide settings are like 90% similar to what I see on the screen but there are about 10% that don't seem to be the same or missing or the order of it is jumbled (this is really hard to ensure conformity with the guide if you don't have a clue as to what each setting mean to really intelligently search).

Anyway Thanks for the valuable advice, I will try your suggestions.
Dec 24, 2010
405 posts
267 upvotes
Montreal
ArrowFlynn wrote: A lot of information from Webslinger's old threads are still useful. You need to make sure power from the telephone company's line is not running through the phone jacks in the house first. Yes, it works.
Webslinger was the one that helped me set up Obi 202 for me and 2 Obi 200 at 2 other relatives with one particularly challenging that keeps giving one way voice only. I missed his posts very much.
Questions:
1. I believe that he collected all his post guide into one useful guide pdf file - anybody would have the link to that? I remembered a weird link and it wasn't obvious how to download the pdf?

Edit: i found it by googling a few terms
Version 1.72 Obi2xx guide
http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839

2. I would love to learn more on the VOIP stuff - any online course/youtube to get educated on how all this settings mean? so may be can help others - Webslinger last seen had health problems on his own (I hope he is well) and is not too active on RFD

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1935 posts
1494 upvotes
shawnie53 wrote: When you use an analog phone, you'll never get HD quality as you're limited to phone quality, ie: G711.
As soon as it plugs into a standard phone, quality is old phone quality.

When using the iOS or Android apps, or a native HD VOIP phone (such as the Grandstream DP720/DP750) that supports G722 directly, without going through a 'regular' phone line, you can bump up to G722 with voip.ms and get MUCH better quality when calling HD VOIP lines or HD cell phones.

Listen to the attached recording to understand the difference. At 0:10 I switched to wideband (G722 / HD)
https://voca.ro/16JeAFbTrSDT
I'm also curious about G729 support. I know it's not as critical with a stationary internet but still. If I am paying premium over PAP2-NA I need to see a value proposition
Mar 2, 2015
471 posts
1157 upvotes
Montreal, QC
elfion wrote: I'm also curious about G729 support. I know it's not as critical with a stationary internet but still. If I am paying premium over PAP2-NA I need to see a value proposition
Unless you’re on a VERY limited connection, ie very low speed (think dial up) or high latency, G729 will give you a lower quality line when compared with G711. If you’re set on using an analog (Narrow-Band) phone, G711 would be better than G729 in most high speed Internet environments.

Still not HD / Wide-Band / G722, which you can only get with a native VOIP phone such as the Grandstream DP-720 / DP-750.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
7244 posts
4895 upvotes
SW ON
elfion wrote: I'm also curious about G729 support. I know it's not as critical with a stationary internet but still. If I am paying premium over PAP2-NA I need to see a value proposition
G729 sounds like crap compared to G711. You don't need it unless you are on pre-3G EDGE wireless. And 3G is plenty for G711. So, for home internet don't even bother with G729. And not all VOIP providers support it because it requires high CPU usage.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26840 posts
24320 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
FWIW the HT812 I ordered just before starting this thread has arrived.

According to the waybill it was originally shipped from BB in Guelph, went to Tronno for sorting, came back to Guelph, where it was put on a truck for delivery to Waterloo.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 6, 2020
803 posts
768 upvotes
BestFind wrote: I would love to learn more on the VOIP stuff - any online course/youtube to get educated on how all this settings mean?
Unfortunately, I don't know any online courses or youtube videos. I think most newcomers just refer to the device manual and then google a specific setting for more information. Your HT-802 manual is at http://www.grandstream.com/hubfs/Produc ... _guide.pdf, and you found Webslinger's guide for the OBi202, which also contains a link to its manual.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2084 posts
1560 upvotes
sammjm wrote: sorry to Hijack the post but i use mine with freephoneline too and i have alot of issues, i lost alot of calls during the day most of the time it go thru voicemail, i am asking you if you can provide me with the settings that you use on your grandstream for freephoneline please. that might help the others too.

thanks!
I use the settings on their forum. The FPL forum is on the Fongo website now, check it out. If you can’t find the PDF with the settings, I can look later for it.