Harman Kardon Astra Bluetooth Speaker (77% off) $99.99 + 0.25 EHF

[OP]
Feb 11, 2019
325 posts
685 upvotes
Gatineau

[Best Buy] Harman Kardon Astra Bluetooth Speaker (77% off) $99.99 + 0.25 EHF

Overview

Enjoy the music you love from anywhere in your home with the Harman Kardon Astra. This voice-activated speaker boasts multiple drivers and tweeters and a four-microphone array to deliver 360-degree, high-fidelity sound. Powered by Alexa, this speaker responds to your voice to play music, answer questions, control smart home devices, and much more.

• Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity lets you wirelessly stream music directly from your mobile device
  • Built-in 4 microphone array with noise cancellation technology responds to your voice even when loud music is playing
  • Specially-angled omni-directional transducers and tweeters deliver 360-degree audio to fill up your room with rich, dynamic sound
  • Hands-free Alexa Voice Service streams music, answers questions, controls other smart home devices, and more on command
  • 360-degree chrome ring design with diffused lighting effect and metallic finishing with customized pattern grill adds a sleek look for any room
  • Motion wake-up touch buttons sense the user's hand for easy, intuitive control
😃 PhoneBox ... $30/20GB/month 😃
10 replies
May 1, 2019
581 posts
2216 upvotes
Smithers, BC
This seems to be posted and trashed every other week. I think there's a reason it's so discounted.
Aug 15, 2018
448 posts
753 upvotes
Vancouver
This is a Best Buy exclusive and the regular price is a complete joke.
Nov 22, 2017
346 posts
274 upvotes
This has been consistently down voted over the last month or so everytime it's been posted...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7930 posts
1704 upvotes
Toronto
I've been trying to find a deal on a wifi speaker myself, but keep hearing bad reviews about this model.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2011
2355 posts
5113 upvotes
Mississauga
It's been on sale for $49 quite recently. It seems like even paying $49 for the speaker might be a bad a deal considering the number of bad reviews that come along with it.
Aug 31, 2009
792 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
this is actually really bad product lol
I highly recommend not getting it. review says this is not worth it even at $50 lol
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2006
2537 posts
526 upvotes
This is coming up in the hot deals section on a weekly basis. all end up with the same fate.
Feb 15, 2011
196 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
It's a good deal for $50.
Complete trash at regular price.
Okay at $100.

Someone recommended Eneby from Ikea as an alternative. Astra is better than Eneby 20 ($59.99) as an indoor speaker. Eneby 20 is about the same as $30 JBL or SONY.
However, Eneby 30 might be a better choice at $99.

I'm testing both side by side back and forth & here's the result:

Eneby 30: much better bass (almost as if there's a sub woofer on Eneby 30 & no sub woofer on Astra). No Alexa. Aux and bluetooth connection. Overall a bit muggy (removing the cloth and changing EQ doesn't do much).
Astra: much better vocal & high tone (like 480p vs 1080p). Alexa & wifi connection. No aux. Bluetooth only, which may become an issue. Overall weak bass. A bit of 360 sound feeling.
Max volume is similar on both.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a good speaker, spend $150+ and get something decent.
If your budget is $50, this is the best you will get unless you get used ones from kijiji or ebay.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
17803 posts
10347 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah, not much love for this speaker. I have a new one I never even opened (got two free with the headphone promo). $50 is worth it if you need an Alexa speaker, but otherwise go with something else.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Jul 26, 2020
25 posts
91 upvotes
I bought it for $50+tax and returned within a week.

Originally I thought okay I don’t care for the smart features anyway, so just a Bluetooth speaker from a decent brand but it doesn’t even cut it for that.
  • Bass is non existent (not even a bombombom fan here)
  • there’s a constant static when not playing music
  • Bluetooth only allows one connection at a time. To switch to a second device you have to disconnect from the already connected one first.
The only positive aspect is the sound stage possibly thanks to the 360 speaker design, definitely much better than my Bose soundlink mini. But in the end really don’t think it’s worth $50.