Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Harman Kardon Astra Bluetooth Speaker - Black - Open Box $49.99 (Brand New $429.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2020 9:07 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1535 posts
3112 upvotes

[Best Buy] Harman Kardon Astra Bluetooth Speaker - Black - Open Box $49.99 (Brand New $429.99)

$50 seems like a good deal for a Harman Kardon bluetooth speaker. The speaker is also powered by Alexa.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ha ... 44&irgwc=1

A few things to consider before buying this speaker though:
- there's some mixed reviews (3 out of 5 stars on BB and Amazon):
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ha ... gI4hvD_BwE
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B07M6RJRV2
- Regular price at $429.99 seems way over inflated. There's been other sales where the speaker was selling for $100.
- There has been at least 1 Best Buy promotion where you buy a specific headphone, you get the speaker for free. People posted about it in the 2nd RFD thread below.

Old RFD threads about this speaker:
- best-buy-harman-kardon-astra-bluetooth- ... 9-2374377/

-best-buy-harman-kardon-astra-bluetooth- ... f-2370829/
Last edited by oj777 on Jul 8th, 2020 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
34 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2385 posts
397 upvotes
I don't think I have seen a bluetooth speaker with worse reviews than this lol
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
6007 posts
4989 upvotes
Calgary
These things were basically free a few times at Best Buy.
May 18, 2012
966 posts
769 upvotes
MARKHAM
Jeez OP delete this thread you made it seem like such a good deal, the reviews are trash people are saying they wouldn’t even take this for free.

At least link the amazon reviews so people can decide for themselves
Jun 21, 2007
37 posts
45 upvotes
Prince George, BC
I bought then read reviews, guess I'll have to cancel.
Mar 17, 2018
891 posts
1281 upvotes
moufasa wrote: people are saying they wouldn’t even take this for free.
I'd take it for free!!.... then throw it off my 12th floor balcony and let it smash into a million pieces! Harmon Kardon will never EVER get a penny from me again!! Bought an AMP from them, out of 6 years of owning it, it was in the shop being repaired 1 year in total.

Hard pass!!
Yes, I'd like to price match RedFlagDeals please - Ken Adams
$50 15GB Unlimited Talk and Text
$22.99 1GB Unlimited Talk/Text Canada Public Mobile
$0.00 a month (FREE using Google Opinion Rewards) Unlimited Talk/Text Fongo Mobile App
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1535 posts
3112 upvotes
SammyDavis wrote: These things were basically free a few times at Best Buy.
Edit: $50 is the lowest selling price so far but there has been at least one Best Buy offer of: buy a specific headphone and get this speaker for free.

moufasa wrote: Jeez OP delete this thread you made it seem like such a good deal, the reviews are trash people are saying they wouldn’t even take this for free.

At least link the amazon reviews so people can decide for themselves
Done! I added the Amazon reviews link in my OP.
Last edited by oj777 on Jul 8th, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 18, 2012
383 posts
322 upvotes
Montréal
As I recall, this speaker was a bundle bonus of a $199 headphone about a year ago at bestbuy
Dec 2, 2019
96 posts
223 upvotes
I bought these speakers when BestBuy was selling them for $99 and returned them since they are not worth that price. Considering $50 price now, they can be given a try (by someone who just needs a basic smart speaker) as this one will sound better than echo dot or Google home mini any day.
Oct 28, 2016
154 posts
227 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: I'd take it for free!!.... then throw it off my 12th floor balcony and let it smash into a million pieces! Harmon Kardon will never EVER get a penny from me again!! Bought an AMP from them, out of 6 years of owning it, it was in the shop being repaired 1 year in total.

Hard pass!!
Do that and you may surpass the “Chair Girl” in popularity. High time we need a “Speaker Guy” for equal representation. Lol
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1685 posts
8875 upvotes
oj777 wrote: Really? When? I couldn't find any info online that showed Best Buy sold this speaker for "basically free" a few times in the past (unless $49.99 qualifies as basically free?).
I'm confused - your own link to the previous thread (2nd link) goes directly to @warpdrive's comment on getting this speaker new for free with a $70 headphone purchase at BestBuy?

This is from your OP and goes to their comment:
-best-buy-harman-kardon-astra-bluetooth- ... #p32452650

Several comments following on BestBuy giving them for free with other promos, and people saying they'd never use for music.
Jul 25, 2017
117 posts
53 upvotes
This has been discussed many times here, it’s worth $50 brand new
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2155 posts
489 upvotes
YVR
I have this unit. Yes, reviews are terrible and justifiably so because you have to use their HK software for the initial pairing and its pretty much broken on Android.

The workaround is that you set it up on a Apple Device FIRST. ( I set it up on my ipad ). Once its connected to your wifi network, it works just fine. Never had it drop connection. Excellent sound, I use it with spotify mainly. You can also mute it permanently with the touch controls on the unit so Alexa never turns on.
Zoomer
Apr 1, 2015
558 posts
329 upvotes
Scxm Free Zone
TeriyakiJack wrote: I have this unit. Yes, reviews are terrible and justifiably so because you have to use their HK software for the initial pairing and its pretty much broken on Android.

The workaround is that you set it up on a Apple Device FIRST. ( I set it up on my ipad ). Once its connected to your wifi network, it works just fine. Never had it drop connection. Excellent sound, I use it with spotify mainly. You can also mute it permanently with the touch controls on the unit so Alexa never turns on.
So you can't use the Alexa app on this?

Bummer :(
Zoomer Wireless happy new customer:
800 mins + 5G LTE data for $36 + $100 new activation credit + $50 referral credit

VoIP.MS user as well.

Do your part to end the monopoly. Every little bit helps.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2155 posts
489 upvotes
YVR
Oh, you can i'm pretty sure. I just don't want it on in my home.
Zoomer