Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

Harman Kardon Astra Bluetooth Speaker - Black - Open Box $49.99 (Brand New $429.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2020 9:07 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1826 posts
5454 upvotes

[Best Buy] Harman Kardon Astra Bluetooth Speaker - Black - Open Box $49.99 (Brand New $429.99)

$50 seems like a good deal for a Harman Kardon bluetooth speaker. The speaker is also powered by Alexa.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ha ... 44&irgwc=1

A few things to consider before buying this speaker though:
- there's some mixed reviews (3 out of 5 stars on BB and Amazon):
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ha ... gI4hvD_BwE
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B07M6RJRV2
- Regular price at $429.99 seems way over inflated. There's been other sales where the speaker was selling for $100.
- There has been at least 1 Best Buy promotion where you buy a specific headphone, you get the speaker for free. People posted about it in the 2nd RFD thread below.

Old RFD threads about this speaker:
- best-buy-harman-kardon-astra-bluetooth- ... 9-2374377/

-best-buy-harman-kardon-astra-bluetooth- ... f-2370829/
Last edited by oj777 on Jul 8th, 2020 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
34 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2646 posts
525 upvotes
I don't think I have seen a bluetooth speaker with worse reviews than this lol
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
7884 posts
8256 upvotes
Calgary
These things were basically free a few times at Best Buy.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1106 posts
974 upvotes
MARKHAM
Jeez OP delete this thread you made it seem like such a good deal, the reviews are trash people are saying they wouldn’t even take this for free.

At least link the amazon reviews so people can decide for themselves
Jun 21, 2007
75 posts
141 upvotes
Prince George, BC
I bought then read reviews, guess I'll have to cancel.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1876 posts
3527 upvotes
moufasa wrote: people are saying they wouldn’t even take this for free.
I'd take it for free!!.... then throw it off my 12th floor balcony and let it smash into a million pieces! Harmon Kardon will never EVER get a penny from me again!! Bought an AMP from them, out of 6 years of owning it, it was in the shop being repaired 1 year in total.

Hard pass!!
$52 25GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Telus EPP Plan - Includes Apple Watch LTE @ NO CHARGE!
BYE BYE ROGERS!
$21.99 1GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Talk/Text Canada - Public Mobile
Fongo. Free CAD Calling.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1826 posts
5454 upvotes
SammyDavis wrote: These things were basically free a few times at Best Buy.
Edit: $50 is the lowest selling price so far but there has been at least one Best Buy offer of: buy a specific headphone and get this speaker for free.

moufasa wrote: Jeez OP delete this thread you made it seem like such a good deal, the reviews are trash people are saying they wouldn’t even take this for free.

At least link the amazon reviews so people can decide for themselves
Done! I added the Amazon reviews link in my OP.
Last edited by oj777 on Jul 8th, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 18, 2012
591 posts
712 upvotes
Montréal
As I recall, this speaker was a bundle bonus of a $199 headphone about a year ago at bestbuy
Dec 2, 2019
298 posts
682 upvotes
I bought these speakers when BestBuy was selling them for $99 and returned them since they are not worth that price. Considering $50 price now, they can be given a try (by someone who just needs a basic smart speaker) as this one will sound better than echo dot or Google home mini any day.
Oct 28, 2016
156 posts
367 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: I'd take it for free!!.... then throw it off my 12th floor balcony and let it smash into a million pieces! Harmon Kardon will never EVER get a penny from me again!! Bought an AMP from them, out of 6 years of owning it, it was in the shop being repaired 1 year in total.

Hard pass!!
Do that and you may surpass the “Chair Girl” in popularity. High time we need a “Speaker Guy” for equal representation. Lol
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2105 posts
14378 upvotes
oj777 wrote: Really? When? I couldn't find any info online that showed Best Buy sold this speaker for "basically free" a few times in the past (unless $49.99 qualifies as basically free?).
I'm confused - your own link to the previous thread (2nd link) goes directly to @warpdrive's comment on getting this speaker new for free with a $70 headphone purchase at BestBuy?

This is from your OP and goes to their comment:
-best-buy-harman-kardon-astra-bluetooth- ... #p32452650

Several comments following on BestBuy giving them for free with other promos, and people saying they'd never use for music.
Jul 25, 2017
189 posts
104 upvotes
This has been discussed many times here, it’s worth $50 brand new
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2674 posts
1502 upvotes
YVR
I have this unit. Yes, reviews are terrible and justifiably so because you have to use their HK software for the initial pairing and its pretty much broken on Android.

The workaround is that you set it up on a Apple Device FIRST. ( I set it up on my ipad ). Once its connected to your wifi network, it works just fine. Never had it drop connection. Excellent sound, I use it with spotify mainly. You can also mute it permanently with the touch controls on the unit so Alexa never turns on.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
TeriyakiJack wrote: I have this unit. Yes, reviews are terrible and justifiably so because you have to use their HK software for the initial pairing and its pretty much broken on Android.

The workaround is that you set it up on a Apple Device FIRST. ( I set it up on my ipad ). Once its connected to your wifi network, it works just fine. Never had it drop connection. Excellent sound, I use it with spotify mainly. You can also mute it permanently with the touch controls on the unit so Alexa never turns on.
So you can't use the Alexa app on this?

Bummer :(
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2674 posts
1502 upvotes
YVR
Oh, you can i'm pretty sure. I just don't want it on in my home.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
2031 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
TeriyakiJack wrote: I have this unit. Yes, reviews are terrible and justifiably so because you have to use their HK software for the initial pairing and its pretty much broken on Android.

Have you tried using this as a speaker phone for conference calls like zoom? I would like to buy this if it can.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2674 posts
1502 upvotes
YVR
Is that a function that ANY Alexa connected speakers support? Don't think I've ever thought about using it that way...
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2273 posts
1384 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
I had an HK Onyx with bluetooth issues and figured theyd have that figured out by now. Looking at the reviews.. nope.
Aug 27, 2005
76 posts
8 upvotes
Cant go wrong at this price
Thx Op ordered one.

Worst case scenario I got 30 days to return
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7341 posts
8017 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
At this point I'm honestly surprised they haven't just blown these out for like $10-$20 given how many they had sitting around at Christmas