• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2020 11:21 am
[OP]
Feb 10, 2019
44 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Best Buy] Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 5 Bluetooth Speaker $229.99

Was in the market for a bluetooth speaker and came across this on Best buy's flyer. Flyer states $250 but when going to the actual link, it comes up as $229.99 (taxes included paid $257 in BC). Did the curb side pick up and am very impressed with the sound.

The original price is highly inflated but at $229.99, I think this is a pretty good deal as it is in the same class as:

UE Megablast (299.99)

JBL Xtreme 2 (349.99)

Most reviews suggest the Studio 5 has better sound than its competitors but cons are its is not as durable (meant to stay indoors) and battery life is not as good (8hrs vs 15hrs).
Images
  • Capture.PNG
3 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10101 posts
2738 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I almost prefer the Ikea one, $60 + $20 battery pack if needed, the HK do have some more bass however

Binaural recording, use headphones to listen
http://switcher.oluvsgadgets.net/?vidon ... 2G-9FN-0yM

Edit: The UE and JBL mentioned sure doesn't sound as good as the HK using Oluv's database above, and the IKEA ENEBY is pretty darn close to the JBL for a fraction of the price
The Megablast sounds very airy with no low frequencies lol

Full review
Mar 1, 2014
632 posts
732 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote: I almost prefer the Ikea one, $60 + $20 battery pack if needed, the HK do have some more bass however

Binaural recording, use headphones to listen
http://switcher.oluvsgadgets.net/?vidon ... 2G-9FN-0yM

Edit: The UE and JBL mentioned sure doesn't sound as good as the HK using Oluv's database above, and the IKEA ENEBY is pretty darn close to the JBL for a fraction of the price
The Megablast sounds very airy with no low frequencies lol

Full review
Great info.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2368 posts
3239 upvotes
I have two HK Onyx Studio speakers, the 2 and the 3. I've listened to the newer ones (4 and 5) as well. The later ones do sound even better so if one of mine were to die I'd have no hesitation picking up a newer one. I think I bought both of mine around $200 on sale/clearance, so $229 is a good price point.