Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio 5 BT Speaker $199.99 ($579.99 original price)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2020 4:17 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
601 posts
671 upvotes
N/A

[Best Buy] Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio 5 BT Speaker $199.99 ($579.99 original price)

First deal I've posted so please and thanks for your kindness. It's hard to beat you folks to the deals since you're all awesome at finding them.

I was looking to purchase a Bluetooth Speaker and happened on this deal. I think it looks pretty good inflated original price or not. $380 off original(!).

Original URL (I don't know how this works so bear with my fumbulations) https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ha ... y/12724627

Here's a review of the Onyx 5: https://www.audioreputation.com/harman- ... -studio-5/
Last edited by ElDealioSupremo on Jul 14th, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
14555 posts
31276 upvotes
It’s a good sounding speaker but the MSRP is greatly exaggerated.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1582 posts
870 upvotes
GTA
Excellent speaker and price, keep in mind it needs to be plugged in to get full power.
Still powrful enough for most unplugged
Aug 29, 2010
190 posts
345 upvotes
I have the older Onyx 2, and its sound is fantastic! If the 5 has upgrades over the 2 - while retaining or improving the sound - then this is a solid deal.
Dec 24, 2011
613 posts
1389 upvotes
East, Canada
Decent. Good job for your cherry pop, OP. I did a quick search and found it 20% cheaper on eBay (refurb, reputable Canadian seller.)
Amex Platinum, Amex Cobalt, Amex Bonvoy and Amex Bonvoy Business card holder
British Airways American Express (UK)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8603 posts
2373 upvotes
Mississauga
RaiderX wrote: Decent. Good job for your cherry pop, OP. I did a quick search and found it 20% cheaper on eBay (refurb, reputable Canadian seller.)
What is everyone's opinion on refurbished products?

What percentage off of retail makes it a chance worth taking?

tks
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: What is everyone's opinion on refurbished products?

What percentage off of retail makes it a chance worth taking?

tks
No issues as long as it's from a reliable source and has the full original warranty with the manufacturer and some sort of return policy if it isn't working properly. Discount required would vary depending on the type of product and how often it gets heavily discounted. Something with a price that rarely varies 20% would be fine, something that routinely goes on sale I'd want it off the typical sale price so I'd need a bigger discount off regular sell price. Anything above 50% off I'd be worried about the refurbishment quality.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2132 posts
111 upvotes
Regina
We bought one last time it was on sale. In my opinion it sounds good, as others have said MSRP is greatly exaggerated. Keep in mind it's just a Bluetooth speaker, it's 4.2 instead of 5.0 (lower range). At this price point I had difficulty finding something that sounded as good.

Good bang for the buck but in my opinion MSRP really should have been 249.99
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1702 posts
395 upvotes
I bought the eBay refurb and it was as good as new. Works great and I don’t think you can find a better speaker for this price. I’ve also bought a refurb JBL charge 3 from these guys in the past and it was flawless.
Dec 26, 2017
283 posts
1213 upvotes
Oscar11 wrote: I bought the eBay refurb and it was as good as new. Works great and I don’t think you can find a better speaker for this price. I’ve also bought a refurb JBL charge 3 from these guys in the past and it was flawless.
Agreed, you can find it here.

FYI - send an offer. Last time I tried they accepted (I think it saved me an additional $10, you might try for lower).
Sep 1, 2018
96 posts
102 upvotes
ElDealioSupremo wrote: First deal I've posted so please and thanks for your kindness. It's hard to beat you folks to the deals since you're all awesome at finding them.

I was looking to purchase a Bluetooth Speaker and happened on this deal. I think it looks pretty good inflated original price or not. $380 off original(!).

Original URL (I don't know how this works so bear with my fumbulations) https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ha ... y/12724627
I bought and returned it when it first appeared in the market two or three years ago. IMHO don’t buy it unless you’re really into strong bass. In terms of music performance it’s not even on par with the onyx 4. There’s too much low quality bass in the profile and yes it’s loud but the size is also huge so nothing really stands out.
Apr 9, 2020
7 posts
19 upvotes
I bought this speaker last year during Bestbuy's sale.
I personally found its sound quality mediocre, though its build quality is quite good.
Regarding the sound quality, it has a tweeter and a driver covering mid and bass range.
The problem with this speaker is that the high frequency from the tweeter sounds very separated from the main driver.
Like there is a clear line separates two frequency ranges.
Overall, I feel this speaker sounds kinda weird.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
601 posts
671 upvotes
N/A
Just got notified mine has shipped. Nice turnaround. If it makes it here before deal dies I'll demo the sound for myself. For me the volume would be generally low and in smallish rooms.
Apr 21, 2020
15 posts
10 upvotes
I don't know if anyone has had or played around with both for comparison, but how does this stack up against say the Megaboom 3?
Feb 21, 2007
885 posts
701 upvotes
Would jump on this if it's a kettle bell. No kidding!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
oby999 wrote: I don't know if anyone has had or played around with both for comparison, but how does this stack up against say the Megaboom 3?
This is an overpriced bluetooth speaker and it DOESN'T even do aptx, which in the bluetooth world a huge improvement.

For bluetooth speakers above $100, aptx is a must.
Oct 23, 2009
211 posts
799 upvotes
Edmonton
One item of interest that I was not aware of until recently, this speaker is manufactured by Samsung.
HK was purchased by Samsung in 2017.
A electronics technician advised me not to buy the Onyx 5 for this reason as the internals are not of the same quality.
If you decide to buy an Onyx speaker, you should stick with the version 3 & 4.