Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] *HOT* Insignia Air Fryer - 4.8L/5.1QT - Stainless Steel $69.99 ($100 OFF) - Currently on Backorder

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2021 1:25 pm
Nov 17, 2015
176 posts
356 upvotes
Banff, AB
Can someone recommend me why this is better than the instapot kid? I’m torn between both.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3456 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
Absolute wrote: I've been reading up on air fryers, but adding another appliance has me wondering about converting my existing Instant Pot.

I have an 8qt one we use almost daily, and it looks like you can buy a lid to convert them into a fryer. Has anyone with an Instant Pot done that.... and if so, did it work or did you decide to get a separate fryer instead?
i was going to do this as well but unfortunately the lid only works on the 6 quart models
Dec 7, 2012
524 posts
53 upvotes
pumpkinpies wrote: i was going to do this as well but unfortunately the lid only works on the 6 quart models
Mealthy makes a lid that fits 6 and 8qts. It's sold out everywhere and the price is through the roof. I've been trying to find one
Aug 20, 2019
145 posts
76 upvotes
aznmidnite wrote: Another member posted a Kalorik Maxx Digital Air Fryer Oven that I was contemplating last night, but looks sold out now. Was hesitating because I was looking for reviews on it. It has 26 quart capacity, so much larger and was on sale for $139.97

Kalorik Maxx Digital Air Fryer Oven
Was thinking of buying the same thing but went with this one instead. Online reviews just say the oven types are a pain in the ass to clean.
Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB
Nov 24, 2019
377 posts
479 upvotes
Saskatoon
So for anyone that has one of these, how is for making chicken wings? I bought an actual deep fryer because I don't like waiting 45 mins for a small plate of wings and that's what a family members ActiFry was like. Completely drove me nuts. If this can make a similar amount of wings at a similar speed to a countertop deep fryer then I'm in. If not then there's no point in me adding another appliance.
Dec 19, 2019
12 posts
8 upvotes
Anyone here use this for a family of say 4-5? Experiences?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13536 posts
4048 upvotes
RFD
SaskCanesFan wrote: So for anyone that has one of these, how is for making chicken wings? I bought an actual deep fryer because I don't like waiting 45 mins for a small plate of wings and that's what a family members ActiFry was like. Completely drove me nuts. If this can make a similar amount of wings at a similar speed to a countertop deep fryer then I'm in. If not then there's no point in me adding another appliance.
I usually buy the frozen chicken wings and thaw them for a few hours before putting them in an air fryer at the highest setting usually 400 degrees for about 20 minutes flipping half way. Turns out the way I like it. If the wings are unusually thick I'll add another 5-7 minutes. Comes out crispy.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1625 posts
716 upvotes
I picked one of these up this evening. What I noticed was both the temperature and timer gets getting used to. It appears the indicator just before 400 F is 390 F. The timer is similar and takes some getting used to.

I find it does it a good job. We fried some tofu chicken strips (don't buy these) for 10 minutes. What is a concern though is there is a rattle that lasts about 10-15 seconds after about a minute then goes away after tapping the fryer. Does anyone else have this issue? If not, I'll be returning it back to Best Buy.

Edit: I found the source of the rattle. This fryer uses a standard coil stove element to fry and the element easily vibrates by touching it or from the fan.
Last edited by sheyenne on Nov 25th, 2020 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1625 posts
716 upvotes
kwanyeung20 wrote: is the tray dishwasher friendly?
I am not sure. It takes up a lot of room as the basket and underneath tray would take up a lot of space in the dishwasher. I'd wash by hand in the sink.
cheikh15 wrote: Anyone here use this for a family of say 4-5? Experiences?
Not large enough. You'll need to do several batches.
Nov 24, 2019
377 posts
479 upvotes
Saskatoon
radeonboy wrote: I usually buy the frozen chicken wings and thaw them for a few hours before putting them in an air fryer at the highest setting usually 400 degrees for about 20 minutes flipping half way. Turns out the way I like it. If the wings are unusually thick I'll add another 5-7 minutes. Comes out crispy.
Ok thanks for the info. So it still takes about twice the time of my deep fryer, and that's with letting them thaw instead of throwing them right in. Probably not worth adding another appliance for me then.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13536 posts
4048 upvotes
RFD
SaskCanesFan wrote: Ok thanks for the info. So it still takes about twice the time of my deep fryer, and that's with letting them thaw instead of throwing them right in. Probably not worth adding another appliance for me then.
I suppose you don't have to thaw, you can throw them in frozen as I'm sure others have, it's just the way I like to make mine.

I think throwing them in frozen will take the same amount of time you'd take to wait for the deep fryer to come to desired temperature before you start frying.

But if all you really care about is speed rather than oil vs no oil, then I suppose that deep fryer works for your application. YMMV it's personal preference.
Jan 27, 2013
867 posts
965 upvotes
I currently have the one that shaped like an egg by insignia, unfortunately my wife scratched up the tray so I want to get it changed. I'm trying to decide between this one, or the oven Style with rotisserie made by Insignia on sale for $99, the only concern is with the oven style clean up might be then after every meal cuz it's not an enclosed area like the tray and basket
Nov 24, 2019
377 posts
479 upvotes
Saskatoon
radeonboy wrote: I suppose you don't have to thaw, you can throw them in frozen as I'm sure others have, it's just the way I like to make mine.

I think throwing them in frozen will take the same amount of time you'd take to wait for the deep fryer to come to desired temperature before you start frying.

But if all you really care about is speed rather than oil vs no oil, then I suppose that deep fryer works for your application. YMMV it's personal preference.
Yeah, if I were starting from scratch with nothing and looking for either a deep fryer or an air fryer, then this deal would probably make sense as a similar enough option and to save on oil. But since I've already paid for a deep fryer and its already taking up space in my kitchen and works perfectly fine, then there's probably not enough of a benefit for me to add another appliance at this point for the amount I'd use it. Thanks for the help
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
14389 posts
4070 upvotes
Scarberia
ot: all bestbuys and staples are closed aside from pickups only right? i tried to goto one bestbuy today to compare OLED tvs lol
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Mar 23, 2004
43167 posts
9112 upvotes
Markham
mikka2017 wrote: ot: all bestbuys and staples are closed aside from pickups only right? i tried to goto one bestbuy today to compare OLED tvs lol
They should be open north of steeles...i dont want to wait, might just pick it up at my local walmart @@
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
3242 posts
1810 upvotes
YUL/YVR
Johntheshopper wrote: Was thinking of buying the same thing but went with this one instead. Online reviews just say the oven types are a pain in the ass to clean.
Bought the one in OP, and still waiting for it to ship.
But now debating if I shoujld spend +$60 on the Instant Vortex.
I really like how the fries can rotate in the cylinder....but are these machinese that hard to clean?
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/in ... 65&irgwc=1
Mar 23, 2004
43167 posts
9112 upvotes
Markham
AdamKing wrote: Bought the one in OP, and still waiting for it to ship.
But now debating if I shoujld spend +$60 on the Instant Vortex.
I really like how the fries can rotate in the cylinder....but are these machinese that hard to clean?
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/in ... 65&irgwc=1
Yeah same here, said it will arrive yesterday, and it isnt shipped yet.

I have cleaned one of those before, it's not hard to clean, but it's not exactly a 5 second job either.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)