Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

HOT: Nikon D610 Body + AF-S 50mm f/1.8G + MB-D14 Battery Grip + WU-1b Wireless Adapter ~$1199

Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
craftsman wrote: As far as the comparison with the Canon 6D, the 6D didn't fare so well -> DXOmark of 82 which is line with the cropped sensors from Nikon and 813 from SenScore. As for the RP, neither DXOmark and SenScore have numbers for the RP but DXOmark does have numbers for the R... 89 which is much better than the 6D but way still below the D600/610. And as others have pointed out the D600/10s are seven years old so they com
Except DXOMark scores don't matter for anyone but pixel peepers and amateurs. Watch what real world pros are using for event photography in 2019, I still see Canon 6Ds being used everywhere in paid gigs. I use one myself. I've personally never seen a pro using a D610 (but I'm sure some do, it's a solid camera). The Canon RP is still way too new to be adopted by the pro market, most of whom are still using DSLRs.
Sep 5, 2015
373 posts
1259 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Updated with currently available deal link.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Kurtz7834 wrote: I do paid shooting and I have never had an issue with third party grips on several different cameras (d7100, 6D, 70d etc.). YMMV I only buy third party grips and I often get new in box ones as cheap as $15 to $30.

My issue was your valuing the Nikon grip at $250 to $300. Try to sell a first party grip on Kijiji, new in box. Good luck getting even $100.
You basically proved the point for the additional cost of an OEM grip - ie YMMV. There are countless stories of low priced 3rd party grips working well for people but for every one of those stories, there are stories which basically say the opposite and how those low priced grips failed in the middle of a shoot, or that they had issues with batteries (both usage and not recognizing them in the grip) or that they had intermittent problems. You never hear of any of those problems with an OEM grip.

Could the OEM grip be cheaper? Of course but that's the same point for any 3rd party accessory/part for any industry.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Kurtz7834 wrote: Except DXOMark scores don't matter for anyone but pixel peepers and amateurs. Watch what real world pros are using for event photography in 2019, I still see Canon 6Ds being used everywhere in paid gigs. I use one myself. I've personally never seen a pro using a D610 (but I'm sure some do, it's a solid camera). The Canon RP is still way too new to be adopted by the pro market, most of whom are still using DSLRs.
If you don't like sites like DXOMark or SenScore, then show me a site that does any objective comparisons for sensors or for lenses? You may think that those sites are for pixel peepers and amateurs (heck you may even group users of those sites with Ken Rockwell for all I know) but the vast majority of camera review sites use those scores in their reviews for their ratings. Also, those site's ratings actually match many real world results - ie how cropped sensors are generally rated lower than full frame or how one sensor may have much more dynamic range than another.

Can you show us an example of why sensor testing and ratings are no longer needed?
Jan 22, 2019
52 posts
344 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: I do paid shooting and I have never had an issue with third party grips on several different cameras (d7100, 6D, 70d etc.). YMMV I only buy third party grips and I often get new in box ones as cheap as $15 to $30.

My issue was your valuing the Nikon grip at $250 to $300. Try to sell a first party grip on Kijiji, new in box. Good luck getting even $100.
Again your arguments aren't making a lot of sense..

1. No one said the Nikon grip is actually worth $250;
2. I would expect to take a big price cut when selling any electronics on Kijiji, doesn't matter if it was new or not;
3. Yes you can always get these things used for cheaper, not everyone is comfortable buying used camera gear;
4. Google "third party vertical grip issues", I could list the problems I've had but that would also be based on a small sample size.

Not looking to pick a fight here and this will be my last response. To your other comment I say just buy the camera you like. You can make much more money from your skills in photography than selling gear. Eventually all of these major camera makers are going to die, Sony and Canon aren't doing much better (if you know how to read statistics), yet all of them have good enough ecosystems for anyone to make a living out of photography.
Jun 9, 2019
689 posts
1645 upvotes
Weighed my options and ended up picking the Sony A7ii package due to higher reviews overall. Thank you for the post though.
Nov 12, 2009
570 posts
657 upvotes
BryceS825 wrote: Weighed my options and ended up picking the Sony A7ii package due to higher reviews overall. Thank you for the post though.
Wise choice
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
Looking at starting my own photography business and looking to buy a mirrorless setup ant suggestions? Seems like the Sony is a better deal?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/so ... k/10347557 1299

I'm coming from a Canon 50d with high quality lenses and debating sticking with Canon. Could I still use my expensive lenses on my new canon mirrorless camera?
Nov 12, 2005
552 posts
130 upvotes
sassysue wrote: Looking at starting my own photography business and looking to buy a mirrorless setup ant suggestions? Seems like the Sony is a better deal?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/so ... k/10347557 1299

I'm coming from a Canon 50d with high quality lenses and debating sticking with Canon. Could I still use my expensive lenses on my new canon mirrorless camera?
I would shop around still. Maybe you want to go into Canon RP or R? You can still use your lens with the adapter.