• May 22nd, 2019 10:19 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2011
1153 posts
709 upvotes
Nepean
hystavito wrote:
May 19th, 2019 2:05 pm
I haven't followed this stuff, but if it's wireless standalone it's gotta be fairly limited power right? Maybe equivalent to a Nintendo Switch at most? Phone-level VR then?
Yes it runs on the snapdragon 835 overclocked
Aug 29, 2006
818 posts
465 upvotes
Bradford
Thanks OP.

The PlayStation VR Borderlands 2 & Beat Saber Bundle is also on sale for $350 (includes motion controllers, although different games of course)

Move controllers are on sale for $99.99

and the Firewall: Zero Hour Aim Controller Bundle is on sale for 69.99

Not hot, but warm at least...

For those interested in Oculus Quest, they are currently $550 for 64GB version and $700 for the 128G version at Bestbuy (looks like only the 128GB version is available for pre-order, for May 23).
It doesn't matter if racing never changes. What matters is if we let racing change us.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2011
1153 posts
709 upvotes
Nepean
drnic wrote:
May 20th, 2019 9:00 am
Thanks OP.

The PlayStation VR Borderlands 2 & Beat Saber Bundle is also on sale for $350 (includes motion controllers, although different games of course)

Move controllers are on sale for $99.99

and the Firewall: Zero Hour Aim Controller Bundle is on sale for 69.99

Not hot, but warm at least...

For those interested in Oculus Quest, they are currently $550 for 64GB version and $700 for the 128G version at Bestbuy (looks like only the 128GB version is available for pre-order, for May 23).
Hoping Ill be able to pick one up in store tomorrow
Dec 27, 2012
202 posts
249 upvotes
VR is not ready for prime time and will go through growing pains for another 5-10 years before it is respectable. it did not take off like people had hoped and developer support has been lackluster to say the least. save your money
Oct 15, 2009
166 posts
74 upvotes
xristophoros wrote:
May 21st, 2019 10:59 am
VR is not ready for prime time and will go through growing pains for another 5-10 years before it is respectable. it did not take off like people had hoped and developer support has been lackluster to say the least. save your money
Have you tried it before saying this ? I have a PSVR for about a month and it's been a revelation for me. This is clearly the future of gaming, but you can enjoy it now with a lot of great games
Nov 24, 2016
148 posts
155 upvotes
I currently own a PSVR, and preordered the Quest as well. PSVR will be used for more graphics intensive games that will never come to the Quest, and Quest will be used for bringing to friends, using comfortably in bed, and media consumption. The Quest having wireless 6 DoF all-in-one is a game changer.
Feb 27, 2011
224 posts
401 upvotes
If you have even a passing interest in VR, Astro Bot is a must play gamechanger. Made me a believer in VR. Sony has done a great job getting lots of great PSVR exclusives to make it enticing.

Yeah the PSVR isn't as powerful as Oculus Rift or Vive or whatever new headsets are on the market, it's also not as expensive nor does it require a high end PC to power it.
Feb 22, 2017
72 posts
84 upvotes
toronto, ON
ShinDiFire wrote:
May 21st, 2019 11:42 am
If you have even a passing interest in VR, Astro Bot is a must play gamechanger. Made me a believer in VR. Sony has done a great job getting lots of great PSVR exclusives to make it enticing.

Yeah the PSVR isn't as powerful as Oculus Rift or Vive or whatever new headsets are on the market, it's also not as expensive nor does it require a high end PC to power it.
Fully agree. Astro Bot, as well as Moss, are amazing. Especially good for introducing people to VR because they cause little to no motion sickness as you're primarily in a fixed position. I also really enjoyed Floor Plan. Interesting little game, but I'd use the dual shock controller over move as the move controllers were kind of annoying for this.

I briefly considered getting into Oculus Rift before buying the PSVR, but then I'd need to buy a new PC (I have a 5 year old laptop right now but it does everything I need except run any recent games) and I just couldn't justify buying both.
Sep 22, 2016
206 posts
288 upvotes
I picked up a PSVR last Boxing Day using ym PC Optimum points.
Planned on selling it, but then one day decided to try it out.
Up to this point I thought VR was a gimmick still, ahving only tried Google Cardboard a few years back.

Boy was I mistaken!

I had the bundle that came with Creed and SuperHot VR.

SuperHot was AMAZING! I loved it.
I have since then spent many dollars on PSVR games and there are some great titles.

BeatSaber is a must have! I had my in-laws over for dinner and their kids went nuts with it.

Statik is also a challenging game worth playing.

I picked up an AIM controller last year with Farpoint when it was on sale at EB, it's a fun little game, worth what I paid for the bundle.
I have since picked up Firewall Zero Hour, but haven't jumped in yet, hoping to soon.

Is it as good as a Vive or Oculus? No. But it's still a great experience!

I don't currently have a PC (just a weak laptop), but I already had a PS4 Pro. The PSVR lets me enjoy VR without having to drop ~$1,800(guesstimating here) which I don't have.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2011
1153 posts
709 upvotes
Nepean
NoMoneyNoProblems wrote:
May 21st, 2019 11:33 am
I currently own a PSVR, and preordered the Quest as well. PSVR will be used for more graphics intensive games that will never come to the Quest, and Quest will be used for bringing to friends, using comfortably in bed, and media consumption. The Quest having wireless 6 DoF all-in-one is a game changer.
Good luck consuming media in bad lighting or no lighting. Headset wont work. Until they add a 3dof mode this will be the case. I returned mine this morning. Wifi drops, tracking issues, comfort is just hopeless. Thank God for return policies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3065 posts
1056 upvotes
Good price, but the library is still too thin (in my opinion, of course).