Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] HP 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Black (AMD Ryzen 5 4600H/256GB SSD/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/Win 10) - $799

Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9071 posts
1236 upvotes
I agree, I would go for the HP. The 4600u actually pairs well with a 1050 and for $800 you could do a lot worse.

1660 laptops are very pricey at $1500+ but I do get your point.

I might pick this up but i just really despise HP. lol.
planavr wrote: SO for the extra $50 versus the Asus one I'm thinking the newer processor and IPS Screen even with the smaller SSD would be worth it. When I look up benchmarks the difference between a 3500u and 4600h is very high whereas the difference between the GPUs is not as dramatic.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Dec 26, 2012
793 posts
583 upvotes
Quebec
sleepyguy wrote: I agree, I would go for the HP. The 4600u actually pairs well with a 1050 and for $800 you could do a lot worse.

1660 laptops are very pricey at $1500+ but I do get your point.

I might pick this up but i just really despise HP. lol.
The real question is do you take this deal or do you look for an i5-9300/R5-3500 with GTX 1650 for a similar Price.
CPU vs GPU priorities.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1151 posts
811 upvotes
Whitby
partsguy100 wrote: Found this on the HP website for a few more dollars but includes a better chip and graphics card for $1099 and ready to ship.
https://store.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/ ... dFlagDeals

Windows 10 Home 64
AMD Ryzen™ 7 4800H (2.9 GHz base clock, up to 4.3 GHz max boost clock, 4 MB L2 cache, 8 cores)
15.6" diagonal Full HD display
8 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB)
512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
Canada bilingual keyboard (supports English and French languages)
CANADA50 takes off $50
Koodo Mobile | Stack | Lyft | Instagram
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9071 posts
1236 upvotes
Where are you seeing GTX 1650 laptops for $800? I'm seeing $1200+

EDIT: NVM i see acer nitro for $850... hmmm decisions.
kowell wrote: The real question is do you take this deal or do you look for an i5-9300/R5-3500 with GTX 1650 for a similar Price.
CPU vs GPU priorities.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Jun 23, 2017
27 posts
9 upvotes
I'm kind of thinking about this laptop because it seems the best bang for $800 - I get a really good CPU, passable GPU, good screen, upgradeable ram, good storage. I don't really need it to be light as I use it as a desktop replacement. I wouldn't really game but nice to have an OK GPU for possible light gaming,media editing if I wanted to. Would this be the right laptop for me? Also, any idea how HP fare in terms of quality esp w this laptop? I did have a pavilion before and I got burned.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2175 posts
837 upvotes
Airport Rd & Que…
I bought this one last week at $799 and probably going to return it for the HP or something else. For my use case (video editing, light gaming) the newer CPU is probably better. They wouldn't do a price guarantee but offered a free return label for me to rebuy? Didn't make any sense.
sleepyguy wrote: Where are you seeing GTX 1650 laptops for $800? I'm seeing $1200+

EDIT: NVM i see acer nitro for $850... hmmm decisions.
Where is this?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9071 posts
1236 upvotes
Amazon.ca Nitro 5 is $850 but doesn't ship to mid July or something. Been reading reviews online and I think if you want gaming it is pretty much best bang for the buck at the moment. You get an IPS screen and GTX 1650. You'll need to pump the ram to 16GB as 8GB is pretty puny. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B086KJ ... EEQB&psc=1

It ticks all the right boxes and performance is pretty amazing for a budget laptop. Issue is it has a kinda dated CPU now that all the Ryzen stuff has come out. $850 is pretty good price and I think I'll buy one. The HP on the HP website with the 4700u is a good laptop with a GTX 1650 BUT it has a non-IPS screen if that is important to you. I think Acer has the Nitro 5 or 7 or something with a Ryzen 4600 or 4700 paired with a 1650 but it cost quite a bit more for some reason.
TripleQ wrote: I bought this one last week at $799 and probably going to return it for the HP or something else. For my use case (video editing, light gaming) the newer CPU is probably better. They wouldn't do a price guarantee but offered a free return label for me to rebuy? Didn't make any sense.

Where is this?
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Dec 26, 2012
793 posts
583 upvotes
Quebec
sleepyguy wrote: Amazon.ca Nitro 5 is $850 but doesn't ship to mid July or something. Been reading reviews online and I think if you want gaming it is pretty much best bang for the buck at the moment. You get an IPS screen and GTX 1650. You'll need to pump the ram to 16GB as 8GB is pretty puny. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B086KJ ... EEQB&psc=1

It ticks all the right boxes and performance is pretty amazing for a budget laptop. Issue is it has a kinda dated CPU now that all the Ryzen stuff has come out. $850 is pretty good price and I think I'll buy one. The HP on the HP website with the 4700u is a good laptop with a GTX 1650 BUT it has a non-IPS screen if that is important to you. I think Acer has the Nitro 5 or 7 or something with a Ryzen 4600 or 4700 paired with a 1650 but it cost quite a bit more for some reason.
The i5-9300H will be fine for light-medium gaming. The GPU usually becomes a bottleneck issue long before the CPU.
I'm gaming on a slightly older i7-7700HQ that performs 99% like the i5-9300H and it's fine really.

In fact the i5-9300H + GTX1650 combo is very very similar to my i7-7700HQ + GTX1060 combo (GTX1650 is similar to a GTX1060 Max-Q) and for 850$ it's a really good deal.
Feb 1, 2011
109 posts
72 upvotes
TripleQ wrote: I bought this one last week at $799 and probably going to return it for the HP or something else. For my use case (video editing, light gaming) the newer CPU is probably better. They wouldn't do a price guarantee but offered a free return label for me to rebuy? Didn't make any sense.

Where is this?
Ya I bought it at $799, then again at $749... and I bought this Best buy one now too...

So I have 3 laptops heading to my house taking forever because Canada Post is so slow right now.

I'll just send the first one back right away and then compare the HP versus the Asus.

I don't know if you really need the 1650 with a 1080p resolution for the extra $$
Feb 1, 2011
109 posts
72 upvotes
How can I figure out if this one will allow me to put another 256gb NVme SSD in that I have lying around?
Dec 26, 2012
793 posts
583 upvotes
Quebec
planavr wrote: How can I figure out if this one will allow me to put another 256gb NVme SSD in that I have lying around?
This model should have 1 x 2.5" slot and 1 x m.2 slot.
Unfortunatly BestBuy doesn't mention what type of SSD the 256Gb is.

According to the HP website the 256Gb should be NVMe wich would means only the 2.5" slot remains available.
https://www8.hp.com/ca/fr/laptops/produ ... s/35610578
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2006
2179 posts
320 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
kowell wrote: This model should have 1 x 2.5" slot and 1 x m.2 slot.
Unfortunatly BestBuy doesn't mention what type of SSD the 256Gb is.

According to the HP website the 256Gb should be NVMe wich would means only the 2.5" slot remains available.
https://www8.hp.com/ca/fr/laptops/produ ... s/35610578
With this type of upgrade (or even upgrading the RAM) cause any warranty to void? Was this just a heavy scare tactic by the staff at Best Buy? They mentioned that if I was to add more ram into a laptop that neither the manufacturer or their geek squad warranty would cover it
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9071 posts
1236 upvotes
Void warranty on a ram upgrade, LOL... that's idiotic. At worst your laptop won't POST if the spec ram is incompatible that's about it then you just reswap and everything is fine. Take everything geek squad or whatever with a grain of salt, same way you see car salesman.
blairs1 wrote: With this type of upgrade (or even upgrading the RAM) cause any warranty to void? Was this just a heavy scare tactic by the staff at Best Buy? They mentioned that if I was to add more ram into a laptop that neither the manufacturer or their geek squad warranty would cover it
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2006
2179 posts
320 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Can anyone confirm if there are indeed two slots for this laptop and the ram can be upgraded?
May 10, 2020
14 posts
7 upvotes
Montreal
Depends what you value. the 300$ savings on the asus or having a slightly better GPU, higher refresh rate screen and RGB backlit keyboard on the Acer.

Both Cpus are roughly the same with the ryzen one being better especially for non gaming uses.

Personally I'm not too sure I'd spend the extra 300 and the aesthetics of the Asus on appeals to me more but that's all IMO.
Oct 23, 2012
366 posts
158 upvotes
Brampton
ANDRSN1 wrote: Depends what you value. the 300$ savings on the asus or having a slightly better GPU, higher refresh rate screen and RGB backlit keyboard on the Acer.

Both Cpus are roughly the same with the ryzen one being better especially for non gaming uses.

Personally I'm not too sure I'd spend the extra 300 and the aesthetics of the Asus on appeals to me more but that's all IMO.
Thank you, was leaning towards The asus, but didn’t know how much better got or cpu was
Jun 27, 2020
12 posts
27 upvotes
Thought some of you might want to peek inside.
I got one of these as I needed the powerful 4600H for music production and didn't really care about GPU (1050 is just icing on the cake, I'd be fine with integrated Vega).

As you can see, NVME drive is socketed and upgradeable, there is an unused 2.5" bay for an extra drive, and RAM is dual slots

Speaking of RAM, stock sticks run at 3200MHz CL22. In upgraded to 16GB I figured I'd get lower latency sticks but couldn't find 3200MHz CL16 in stock anywhere so I got 3000 CL16 from Corsair... well it runs at 2666MHz CL18. HP doesn't expose RAM settings in BIOS so there is no way to tweak that. This is effectively the same latency as 3200 CL22, but bitrate is lower.

I cannot find a list of supported RAM speeds, I have no clue if 3200MHz CL16 would run any faster. I'm guessing simple 3200 CL22 from Crucial would have kept the performance of the OEM sticks, and once it comes back in stock the CL16 from Crucial is like 10$ extra, up to you to decide if it's worth the risk that it might not run any faster.

Beside this, my main annoyance is the trackpad. It works really well, but there is a "loose" feeling that gets annoying fast. I've tried to tighten the screws but that is not the issue. I've compared to the Intel version in the store and it's the same thing. It's not a dealbreaker, but if you won't be using a mouse most of the time it might be a problem. Try it in the store (even if it's the Intel version being demo'd, the chassis is the same).

At the end of the day, this is a lot of CPU power for the price, thermals are not a problem, battery life is very decent, display is sharp if a little washed out. Not a true gaming laptop though IMHO, considering the GTX 1050.
IMG_20200625_073642.jpg

NB: I returned this laptop within 30 days, the chassis was just too cheap. Got a Legion 5 with a 4800H, 1660 Ti, 16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung NVMe SSD (added a 2nd 1TB WD SN550 to it) and a 144Hz display for 1355$ off Amazon instead. Yes, much more expensive, but soooo worth it. It has replaced my desktop.
Last edited by Snicksound on Dec 23rd, 2020 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Feb 1, 2011
109 posts
72 upvotes
planavr wrote: Ya I bought it at $799, then again at $749... and I bought this Best buy one now too...

So I have 3 laptops heading to my house taking forever because Canada Post is so slow right now.

I'll just send the first one back right away and then compare the HP versus the Asus.

I don't know if you really need the 1650 with a 1080p resolution for the extra $$
So both of these laptops came today and I ran some benchmarks

The HP laptop gets over 500 down and up on my internet, the Asus only gets 50/50 for some reason.

The HP has 7.6GB of ram available the Asus only has 5.9GB available, no option to turn off the ram reserved for the unused on board GPU.

The Asus screen is noticeably worse than the HPs IPS screen. It's almost a completely different blue on the default windows theme.

The fans are pretty much the same during the benchmark. Not overly loud.

The Asus looks professional while the HP has a kind of cheesy font on the keyboard.

3DMark timespy benchmarks

HP : Graphics Score 2114 CPU Score 5809 total 2336
Asus : Graphics Score 1741 CPU Score 2726 total 1840

The HP does feel more than $50 better. The available Ram issue bothers me on the Asus