Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

HP Elitebook 840 G3 14" Touchscreen refurbished $399.99

[OP]
Aug 26, 2021
1 posts
10 upvotes

[Best Buy] HP Elitebook 840 G3 14" Touchscreen refurbished $399.99

Saw this one on Best Buy Labour Day Sale. It seems $100 - 200 cheaper than Amazon and Newegg, looks like a reliable machine. here are the specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6300U Processor, 3M Cache, 2.40 GHz base up to 3.00 GHz, 2 Cores

Memory: 16 GB DDR4 2133 MHz

Storage: 256 GB SSD

Display: 35.6 cm (14 in) diagonal LED backlight FHD Slim eDP SVA (1920 x 1080) Touch

Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 520

Connectivity: Ethernet, Wireless, Bluetooth®

Operating System: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Ports:

2 x USB 3.0;

1 x USB Type-C;

1 x VGA;

1 x DisplayPort™;

1 x RJ-45 Ethernet;

1 x 3.5mm Combo Jack;

Slots:

1 x SD Card;

1 x SIM Card;
Thread Summary
For more budget options, check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best laptops under $500!
32 replies
Jul 6, 2018
5 posts
4 upvotes
Not cutting edge specs, but for $400 this is a great deal. Solid machine, used this exact one for a couple years.
Dec 1, 2020
182 posts
116 upvotes
Sold and shipped by Microcad Computer Corporation
3.7 seller rating, 995 review(s)

I would avoid
Jul 11, 2015
333 posts
150 upvotes
Victoria, BC
this seems like a pretty amazing deal really, backlit keyboard and has crazy ram and ssd is decent size. pretty sure i want to get it. but im curious about the distributors feedback. wouldn't want this laptop failing me in the future.

ive been thinking of getting a smaller laptop mainly so its easier to pack/transport to camp. i mostly will be just using it for streaming and maybe checking the web and sending the odd job application.
~You're the average of the five people, you most associate with.~
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3618 posts
3889 upvotes
Montreal, QC
DaveD23704 wrote: Sold and shipped by Microcad Computer Corporation
3.7 seller rating, 995 review(s)

I would avoid
Best buy's review system is strange. claims there are 995 reviews, but when you click on reviews, there is not a single review to be seen. What... All 995 reviews were rating only ? I have a hard time to believe any of these reviews. But truth is, I hate 3rd party marketplaces anyhow, especially when there is no protection from the hosting site.
At least with amazon, if it is "shipped by amazon", the return/refund option is always there with close to no hassle.

Regarding the laptop itself, it is a solid performer. I have used many generations of these Elitebooks. I have a pair of G6 versions for the kids. I've had G2 and G3 at the office, and now I have a G7. And the 14" us the best compromise in my opinion between portability and usability. But not sure I'd get from a no name vendor with no track record.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2019
2116 posts
10194 upvotes
Emporium wrote: Best buy's review system is strange. claims there are 995 reviews, but when you click on reviews, there is not a single review to be seen. What... All 995 reviews were rating only ? I have a hard time to believe any of these reviews. But truth is, I hate 3rd party marketplaces anyhow, especially when there is no protection from the hosting site.
At least with amazon, if it is "shipped by amazon", the return/refund option is always there with close to no hassle.

Regarding the laptop itself, it is a solid performer. I have used many generations of these Elitebooks. I have a pair of G6 versions for the kids. I've had G2 and G3 at the office, and now I have a G7. And the 14" us the best compromise in my opinion between portability and usability. But not sure I'd get from a no name vendor with no track record.
Not sure but sometimes it only shows reviews in your language?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
11571 posts
9206 upvotes
Toronto
Too bad 3rd party seller, returns could be a pain if you get a lemon.

Also 20% restocking fee once you open it.
Last edited by Angultra on Aug 27th, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 29, 2008
530 posts
273 upvotes
Cannot fathom why they'd put VGA on it. I have an older version (3rd gen i5) and it's still a great little unit (doesn't have VGA). I really like the wired ethernet and HDMI (hopefully that display port supports HDMI) for presentations. The 3rd party seller is a little worrying, the price is great (but it is refurbished), the mismatched specs (says 16GB ram in the overview and details, but 8GB in the first part of "more info") is worrying.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1707 posts
1066 upvotes
buying a used laptop is too risky, when the quality of the battery is so subjective.
Just save up a bit more and get one of those inspiron Ryzen 5500u's for around $600. brand new battery, 5 year newer CPU, prob. lighter and thinner... Downside is the build quality wont be as nice, and the higher price, but 1 year from now you'll be happy you dropped the extra cash.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3618 posts
3889 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Scott86 wrote: buying a used laptop is too risky, when the quality of the battery is so subjective.
Just save up a bit more and get one of those inspiron Ryzen 5500u's for around $600. brand new battery, 5 year newer CPU, prob. lighter and thinner... Downside is the build quality wont be as nice, and the higher price, but 1 year from now you'll be happy you dropped the extra cash.
Battery is a risk all the time on any used laptops. However the Ryzen you mention is more expensive, but built quality is FAR from being ideal. And after the typical one year warranty, nothing guarantees that battery will be any better.
The Elitebook devices can take a daily beating and still work like a charm. We use them for 80% of our staff at the office (other 20% get Zbooks), and with over 4000 devices, travelling everywhere and being abused daily, we don't have that many that fail. We keep the newer ones for engineering staff (who typically need a little more power) and hand down the older gens to the non-engineering roles. I'd take an Elitebook G3 notebook over any inspiron or generic hp (or other brand) model any day. Nice, light, and solid.

Batteries from 3rd parties and not too expensive. I've bought 2 or 3 for other laptops in the past from amazon, and so far, I've been lucky in the few that I have purchased.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24366 posts
31289 upvotes
Folks don't know how to process these threads. It's unfortunate.

PassMark is 3259 which is respectable for mobile with these specs.

It's not hot, but it's warmish for a 14" touchscreen.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1421 posts
503 upvotes
I have this and bought at $500ish. Great deal for $399
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7021 posts
1532 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Refurb + sold by 3rd party + 6 year old CPU.

Price is certainly not bad but still I feel a bit iffy due to the above.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Feb 16, 2017
291 posts
353 upvotes
New Brunswick
^gUrU wrote: Cannot fathom why they'd put VGA on it. I have an older version (3rd gen i5) and it's still a great little unit (doesn't have VGA). I really like the wired ethernet and HDMI (hopefully that display port supports HDMI) for presentations. The 3rd party seller is a little worrying, the price is great (but it is refurbished), the mismatched specs (says 16GB ram in the overview and details, but 8GB in the first part of "more info") is worrying.
We use to have this model (without touch screen and only 8GB ram) for work. They seemed like good laptops had better than expected battery life and snappy SSD. Display port does work with DP to HDMI adapters (no sound obviously).
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3618 posts
3889 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Jedi66 wrote: We use to have this model (without touch screen and only 8GB ram) for work. They seemed like good laptops had better than expected battery life and snappy SSD. Display port does work with DP to HDMI adapters (no sound obviously).
I agree with everything you say above, except for the DP to HDMI adapter sound :)

I literally JUST tried it on my spare laptop (which is an Elitebook 840G3 [with Intel i5-6200U instead of 6300U) with 8GB ram, SSD, but no touch) :) And I can confirm that sound ALSO is transmitted over the DP to HDMI adapter. I used a cheap adapter from amazon which I had purchased ages ago, and connected to a cheap HP V272 monitor which has HDMI audio out jack on the back, which I have connected to a small sound bar. Audio came over the sound bar which is driven by the monitor (from the HDMI input).
Feb 17, 2014
87 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
I would avoid. I bought an HP EliteBook 840 last year from the same seller, Microcad Computer Corporation, and the charger came broken with the laptop. It would only charge when held at a certain angle and could not move. If it moved even a bit, it would "unplug" and stop charging, even though it was connected.
I tried to return but it was a hassle and they were charging fees to have it looked at and repaired, even though I literally just got it. Luckily, I had a spare HP laptop charger I was able to use, but I would avoid this seller.

EDIT: 0 issues with the laptop though. Been working fine for the past 1.5 years. Only the charger was faulty.
Dec 13, 2012
16 posts
16 upvotes
Markham
6300 came out in 2015. Factor in the condition, I wouldn't call it a deal at 399.
Dec 2, 2011
29 posts
31 upvotes
Halifax
I'd never suggest buying refurbished marketplace items from BestBuy, most of the time they're garbage and sold by questionable companies. You're better off buying something used on kijiji / Facebook Marketplace.

If you really want to buy "used" from Best Buy, go with Open Box units with warranty instead.

Source: I do PC repair, I can't count the amount of people who have come to me with "new refurbished units" from Bestbuy Marketplace. Utter garbage.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
15032 posts
4864 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I've bought quite a few refurbished laptops and USFF PCs, mostly to be used in the office. but in the last couple of years, I had 2 PCs getting the Blue Screen of Death, with the sad smilie, after a Windows update. Took one in for repairs. First they thought it was the SSD. Put in new SSD, installed Windows fresh, run updates, but blue-screened again after leaving it running for awhile. They concluded something to do with the integrated video and maybe heat -related. Due to processor being only a 6th gen i3, deemed not cost effective to further diagnose and repairs. I used to think as long as I stuck to machines with SSD, I should be fine, and I'd get at least 3-4 years' office duties out of them, but now I'm leery of buying refurbished machines, especially when it's just seller-refurbished. And with laptop, you can almost count on having to source a new battery within 2 years, on top of other hardware failure risk.