Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

HP Victus 16.1" Gaming Laptop i7-11800H/1TB SSD/16GB RAM/RTX 3060 - 1499$

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2022 6:12 pm
Newbie
Feb 24, 2021
29 posts
33 upvotes
RobertRabbit wrote: Why is that?
New line or new CPU expected ?
yes Ryzen 6000 chip, 50% improvement in graphics over the 5000 series. They ship in Feb. (exact date unknown)

"According to AMD, the Ryzen 6000 series offers up to twice the graphics performance compared to Ryzen 5000 chips, with hardware ray tracing built in and a 50 percent larger GPU compute engine. That’s before factoring in additional gains from AMD’s FidelityFX Super Resolution supersampling, which is also integrated into the new chips and enables “truly playable AAA gaming on an ultrathin” laptop."
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2608 posts
802 upvotes
Winnipeg
edwardccg wrote: Looks like this one doesn't have Nvidia Optimus / Mux switch

DELL G15 would be better since it has Mux switch

Is the Mux switch what allows you to use the GPU on a separate monitor?
Member
Aug 18, 2017
212 posts
136 upvotes
pswart wrote: Is the Mux switch what allows you to use the GPU on a separate monitor?
Mux switch basically can fully disable the integrated GPU from your CPU and have the dedicated GPU to control any display adapter including the laptop Monitor.

When you are in that mode, you will only see GPU 0 from task manager refer to the dedicated GPU. Instead of seeing both GPU 0 as iGPU and GPU 1 as dGPU appear at the same time.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2608 posts
802 upvotes
Winnipeg
edwardccg wrote: Mux switch basically can fully disable the integrated GPU from your CPU and have the dedicated GPU to control any display adapter including the laptop Monitor.

When you are in that mode, you will only see GPU 0 from task manager refer to the dedicated GPU. Instead of seeing both GPU 0 as iGPU and GPU 1 as dGPU appear at the same time.
Thanks for the explanation. Any idea how one can tell if a laptop has this ability or not? Seems harder and harder to find details on laptops with which version of a GPU it comes with as well as which version of USB-C it comes with (wattage level, display port, power delivery, etc)
Sr. Member
Sep 11, 2011
726 posts
886 upvotes
Toronto
squint72 wrote: Sorry as this is a bit off topic but related to Best Buy. I inquired via live chat with them and called the store but they played dumb of course. Do you guys know the exact time the new weeekly Best Buy sales start at every Friday? Is it 12:00am eastern time on Friday or is it 6:00am eastern time Friday morning? It seems like the really good deals sell out in the first few minutes and I’m missing them as I don’t know the exact sale time? Thx in advance!
I don’t know for sure, but I think it used to be 3 AM EST on Friday. I recall staying awake for some big sales at that time a few years back.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 20, 2013
1170 posts
473 upvotes
Chambly, QC
rambo13 wrote: yes Ryzen 6000 chip, 50% improvement in graphics over the 5000 series. They ship in Feb. (exact date unknown)

"According to AMD, the Ryzen 6000 series offers up to twice the graphics performance compared to Ryzen 5000 chips, with hardware ray tracing built in and a 50 percent larger GPU compute engine. That’s before factoring in additional gains from AMD’s FidelityFX Super Resolution supersampling, which is also integrated into the new chips and enables “truly playable AAA gaming on an ultrathin” laptop."
Ha great!
I will wait for it then!
Thanks bro!
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1405 posts
694 upvotes
RobertRabbit wrote: Ha great!
I will wait for it then!
Thanks bro!
Newer CPUs and GPUs are coming in at higher prices. Some will have DDR 5 which is much better performance but again with a significant price increase. So rather than the older stuff dropping drastically, the newer models will see much higher prices - likely $100-$200 more depending on configs. Anything decent will cost a lot, only the older stuff like 1650 will be cheap.
https://www.pcgamer.com/cpus-and-gpus-a ... e-in-2022/
Newbie
Jul 21, 2020
99 posts
56 upvotes
Lots of engagement in this thread. Can you guys link a good deal on a mechanical keyboard? Looking for one that comes with the number pad
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 20, 2013
1170 posts
473 upvotes
Chambly, QC
Well, for me 200$ is not a big step as I change my laptop every 10 years.
I want it to last long and to be solid. So exit the plastic and bendable ones.

vernonco wrote: Newer CPUs and GPUs are coming in at higher prices. Some will have DDR 5 which is much better performance but again with a significant price increase. So rather than the older stuff dropping drastically, the newer models will see much higher prices - likely $100-$200 more depending on configs. Anything decent will cost a lot, only the older stuff like 1650 will be cheap.
https://www.pcgamer.com/cpus-and-gpus-a ... e-in-2022/
Member
User avatar
Nov 3, 2010
288 posts
440 upvotes
Niagara Falls
RobertRabbit wrote: Well, for me 200$ is not a big step as I change my laptop every 10 years.
I want it to last long and to be solid. So exit the plastic and bendable ones.
I mean, I have plastic Dell laptops from 8 years ago ( 4th gen quad i7), that are still in almost perfect condition after being abused, and still work great.
The Dell G15 is $1500 + 150 off with the email signup, and if you can get rakuten, you'd get another 2%, which was 12% on BF/ Boxing day bringing it to $1200ish + tax. Maybe they'll do the bonus again.

Honestly there's zero reason to get this over G15, especially since the 5800h one has the best battery life of any gaming laptop tested, and the 3060 was BIOS flashed to be 130w. It's basically the best performing 3060 laptop (other than the legion 5) at the cheapest 3060 laptop price point.
I guess if you hate plastic that much ( I own it and it doesn't feel cheap to me ) or you really want a larger screen.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 20, 2013
1170 posts
473 upvotes
Chambly, QC
Is that this one you’re talking about:
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-la ... 15_sb_h25e

1600$

thatsnasty wrote: I mean, I have plastic Dell laptops from 8 years ago ( 4th gen quad i7), that are still in almost perfect condition after being abused, and still work great.
The Dell G15 is $1500 + 150 off with the email signup, and if you can get rakuten, you'd get another 2%, which was 12% on BF/ Boxing day bringing it to $1200ish + tax. Maybe they'll do the bonus again.

Honestly there's zero reason to get this over G15, especially since the 5800h one has the best battery life of any gaming laptop tested, and the 3060 was BIOS flashed to be 130w. It's basically the best performing 3060 laptop (other than the legion 5) at the cheapest 3060 laptop price point.
I guess if you hate plastic that much ( I own it and it doesn't feel cheap to me ) or you really want a larger screen.
Sr. Member
Nov 8, 2008
776 posts
942 upvotes
RobertRabbit wrote: Well, for me 200$ is not a big step as I change my laptop every 10 years.
I want it to last long and to be solid. So exit the plastic and bendable ones.
FYI, while the exterior of the Dell G15 is plastic, the motherboard and chassis are identical to the Alienware M15 R5 (the motherboard literally is stamped Alienware) and is magnesium alloy. It's a sturdy laptop despite the plastic exterior.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 20, 2013
1170 posts
473 upvotes
Chambly, QC
Do you guys have a good advice on a powerfull laptop, intel or amd, with 32 Gb of RAM and 512Gb SSD with another M2 SLOT or a 1Tb SSD directly ?
Sr. Member
Jan 15, 2011
520 posts
1128 upvotes
Ottawa
RobertRabbit wrote: Do you guys have a good advice on a powerfull laptop, intel or amd, with 32 Gb of RAM and 512Gb SSD with another M2 SLOT or a 1Tb SSD directly ?
Wait for Ryzen 7th gen or Intel 12th gen for mobile if you can since they are coming in Feb for Intel and April for Ryzen.
What you can do is buy a laptop with upgradeable components since manufacturers typically overcharge for RAM and storage. Better off upgrading it yourself.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 20, 2002
1478 posts
321 upvotes
RobertRabbit wrote: Do you guys have a good advice on a powerfull laptop, intel or amd, with 32 Gb of RAM and 512Gb SSD with another M2 SLOT or a 1Tb SSD directly ?
Check out the Lenovo Legion line.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1405 posts
694 upvotes
RobertRabbit wrote: Well, for me 200$ is not a big step as I change my laptop every 10 years.
I want it to last long and to be solid. So exit the plastic and bendable ones.
In that case you probably do not want the Victus line. Every OEM has a low end and higher end line in gaming. This is the lower end line, Omen would be their higher end. Similarly TUF/ROG for Asus, etc.

Top