Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Insignia 90W USB-C PD Charger with 8 Feet USBc 100w Cable $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2020 2:58 am
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
chatbox wrote: PD Port 1 Output: PD18W/30W/45W/60W/61W/87W/90W
PD Port 2 Output: PD18W/30W/45W/60W/61W/87W/90W

i.e. Max 90W per adapter, regardless of whether you're using 1 port or 2 ports.
Is this gan?

I'm looking for one with 2 USBC and maybe one usb a for backwards compatibility
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2877 posts
2839 upvotes
Ottawa
I didn't keep up with these charging technologies for long time, I assume these PD chargers are what most laptop use, similar to QC for phones with Qualcomm chips.

Does anyone have a table that shows what charging technology is used/compatible with which devices?
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
does this fast charge the note 10plus? tia
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
warpdrive wrote: +1 There are so many random brands on Amazon that I've never heard of, every day, I find some other weird sounding named product.

I was searching for a desk lamp and came across these brand names.

Topelek
Quntis
Sunfuny
Injuicy

This might be fine for a desk lamp but in no way would I trust any of those companies for my $1500 laptop or $1000 phone. Not to mention most of the reviews are iffy for these things. Some brands have earned some trustworthiness like Anker, maybe a handful of others but in general, I would rather pay more for a known quantity.

For a fast phone charger, I bought an official Samsung 45W charger. It fully supports PD 3.0 PPS and comes with a proper 5A USB C cable. Well worth spending an extra $10 for IMO.
i find that samsung 45w fast charger makes my note10plus hot when i charge it( says it takes 45mins to full at 50%)..its not really that faster over the stock samsung charger either
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Sep 5, 2012
177 posts
131 upvotes
great white
bya1998 wrote: Not hot. You can pickup a similar one from Amazon for $40 and they go on sale pretty often. The “regular price” of this one was overly expensive.
I have taken these cheaper chargers apart....no protection in them at all. scary looking electronics soldering.

that one you posted is no deal....but a fire hazard. ill take the UL and CE certified insignia any day.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2913 posts
3056 upvotes
Toronto
facebook259 wrote: The very table you show proves otherwise. Plug Type + Country ==> voltage. This is Canada so yes, actually if it is for sale in Canada it should be 120 V. Generally though the voltage supplied is a nominal range between 110V - 120V. If you measure the voltage in an outlet in that range, you are not considered to have a brownout, and everything should work normally. If it is 10% lower, you have a brown-out.

https://superuser.com/questions/113113/ ... so-harmful

The listed specs are:

I have little doubt that it will work at 120 V. But some devices give you a different wattage at different voltages. So the real question is will it still output 90W. Or are we going to get a reduced wattage output?

So I looked up the part number on Insignia's website. They list input voltage as 100V. So it seems reasonable to assume it supports the full range of 100V - 240V with an output of 90W.
Plug has very little to nothing, to do with Voltage. (There are some cases, specially with "beefier" devices, but that's more because they draw a lot more current/"Amperage" in general)
Easiest way to show it are travel plug converters - All the voltage/current handling is done by the internal (capacitors, resistors...)
Some plugs, like the UK one have a incorporated fuse, but that's just extra protection.

Also, the post you mentioned on superuser is 10 years old, most of decent computers power supplies (PSU) will work on a range of 100-240V without any problem due to Active PFC.
Power/Wattage output will be roughly the same in any voltage of the range, but the efficiency is often (if not always) better on 220-240V side. But that just mean it'll draw a bit less power from the wall to provide the same given power to the device.

And most of Phone chargers, Laptops power supply/bricks, will work absolutely fine in the range of 100-240V, in both 50/60Hz.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
mikka2017 wrote: i find that samsung 45w fast charger makes my note10plus hot when i charge it( says it takes 45mins to full at 50%)..its not really that faster over the stock samsung charger either
Fast charging is always going to get your device hot. The faster the charger, the hotter the device gets. If you just need to charge overnight, disable the fast charging in the settings to keep the battery in good shape.

Something else to note: Devices slow down charge rate as it gets full. If you measuring the charging time to 100%, the difference may not be that large. If you charge from 10 to 60%, the fast charger can cut down time by a lot. Also, the device monitors the temperature and will cut down the charge rate as it gets hotter.

Anyway, the main point of my post was: if you have a good device, buy a good brand name charger. The Samsung is good because it does support PPS, and there will be more PPS devices released in the future, so spend a bit more on a charger and it should be the only one you need for a while.

Lithium Ion batteries don't like being charged to 100%, it's stressful on them, it's actually better to charge to less than 80% on a daily basis. There are apps to help you manage it. On iOS, turn on the optimized charging which keeps the battery at 80% and then finishes charging to 100% before the morning.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
facebook259 wrote: The plug has everything to do with it. A device would never be certified for use in Canada with a type A plug if it does not support 120V as input voltage. That would be a dangerous or defective product to sell.

So of you see a product for sale at a store like BestBuy.ca you can certain it runs on 120V AC. If not they are violating the law. But if they are listed 240V in the specifications. That means either they are violating the law, made a mistake in copying the specifications, or they are showing a photo of the wrong product. In this case they made a mistake copying the specifications.
My job is done. Yes, call it Type A...not a "110v plug". LMAO.
Dec 2, 2016
456 posts
637 upvotes
Canuck485 wrote: Odd they made the form factor to stick out from the wall like that, flat against the wall would make more sense to me.
Yeah, you can basically forget about putting any furniture in that area. Dumb.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
Canuck485 wrote: Odd they made the form factor to stick out from the wall like that, flat against the wall would make more sense to me.
I think it was Apple who came out with that form factor, in that orientation (for better or for worse). It's for heat dissipation (larger surface area of the outer shell for passive airflow, as oppose to up against the socket).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5242 posts
3520 upvotes
Good find, my Amazon one died but under warranty and just got the replacement. Would have picked this up for same price.

Design kind of sucks, at least apple had the extension piece instead of having a wall wart.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
2125 posts
1481 upvotes
Near You
Not the worst replacement for a Macbook charger.
Cards: Amex Platinum • Aeroplan Reserve • Chase AP • CSR • Bonvoy
Banking: Wise • HSBC • TD • Tangerine • Chase
Flights: AC SE • KLM SilverBA Silver
Mobile: AT&T • Fizz • Google Fi • Free.fr
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
2505 posts
1564 upvotes
Toronto
fightbriz wrote: 90w on one port vs 2x45w ports is a huge difference...
ya huge difference in terms of dual ports vs 1 as i pointed out.
if u use 1 port it delivers 90w of power too.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
1068 posts
782 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
8 foot cable alone worth about $25
not a bad deal
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
facebook259 wrote: The description says 240V, even though it is clearly a 110V (Type A) plug. This leaves me wonder if if the rest of the specs are correct.
not because it have the North America 110v prongs that it can not have an input of 220V, with an adapter, of course...

Look at pic No. 3 of 4 you can clearly read Input 100 - 240 V 50 - 60 Hz this means you can use it without a power converter in Europe, or elsewhere, just need a plug adapter. Many electric / electronics works like this... computers, shavers, etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2526 posts
1239 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
DoorCrasher wrote: not because it have the North America 110v prongs that it can not have an input of 220V, with an adapter, of course...

Look at pic No. 3 of 4 you can clearly read Input 100 - 240 V 50 - 60 Hz this means you can use it without a power converter in Europe, or elsewhere, just need a plug adapter. Many electric / electronics works like this... computers, shavers, etc.
My concern was only that the information presented on the bestbuy website was inaccurate. This could mean they copied the wrong spec sheet, or listed the wrong part number. I have no doubt whatever they are selling will work on 120V.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
facebook259 wrote: My concern was only that the information presented on the bestbuy website was inaccurate. This could mean they copied the wrong spec sheet, or listed the wrong part number. I have no doubt whatever they are selling will work on 120V.
it will also work on 240V
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2526 posts
1239 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
vancityguy0 wrote: That wouldn’t work for a lot of people since they’d be plugging in their chargers in powerbars, especially at work.
Yeah. I actually think plugs that cover more than one outlet, or place undo stress on a wall outlet should come with a clear warning. As the main reason people end-up using those dollar store plug extenders, extension cords on a permanent basis, etc, is because so many items now days are made so you cannot easily plug them in normal outlet without other items. Let alone a simple power strip. Something like:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/in ... r=PDP_Reco

Is much better. If they just put a USB-C on it as one of the plugs it would meet almost everyone's needs for a single plug power supply. The idea of having a simple cord to the outlet as well as to the item you are charging, is such a time tested solution. I know sometimes that can cause problems too. For example, my mother's cats love to chew cords. So having the power brick in the middle means even if you wrap everything, there is an access point where they can start chewing. But these are niche scenarios...