Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

Insignia Portable Air Conditioner - 10000 BTU (SACC 6500 BTU) - White/Grey [329.99]

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2022 8:02 pm
[OP]
Oct 9, 2009
142 posts
123 upvotes
Vancouver

[Best Buy] Insignia Portable Air Conditioner - 10000 BTU (SACC 6500 BTU) - White/Grey [329.99]

Was looking for an air conditioner and came across this. Seems like an okay deal given the price of AC's currently. Seems to have lots of reviews too. 7 left at the time of posting.
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best portable air conditioners!
13 replies
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11320 posts
1367 upvotes
GVR
TechChime wrote: ouch SACC 6500 BTU...
But also, half price of costco, half the SACC?

I guess you pay more to run it, ultimately? So hard to really understand these things!

I really want one dedicated for my bedroom - small, quiet, designed for smaller space.

But that doesn’t even seem to exist Expressionless Face
Feb 22, 2022
29 posts
75 upvotes
any passerby have any thoughts on this brand? most of their products are decently rated but seem maybe like they don't have a lot of longevity. just looking for any experience with insignia before I pull the trigger.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2002
5225 posts
1627 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: I really want one dedicated for my bedroom - small, quiet, designed for smaller space.

But that doesn’t even seem to exist Expressionless Face
This is probably the most portable at about 50 lbs:

https://www.costco.ca/danby-7%2c500-btu ... 61933.html

The dual-hose would cool a bedroom down much quicker and use less electricity to maintain it, but with BC electricity prices it's probably just pennies per hour.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
3746 posts
7455 upvotes
I bought the 12000 btu one and tried it in my living room and it cools down nothing but the area right infront of it

I know closed off rooms work better but I was hoping it going to be a bit better. Still better than not having one at all, though, and I paid cost since nephew works at BB
Public Mobile customer
Feb 25, 2021
25 posts
19 upvotes
islackoff wrote: any passerby have any thoughts on this brand? most of their products are decently rated but seem maybe like they don't have a lot of longevity. just looking for any experience with insignia before I pull the trigger.
Insignia is BestBuy's own brand. In other words, the No Frills for Best Buy. Most of their products are made in China with significant mark ups from cost.

Source: Friend who worked at BB Corporate
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5363 posts
4755 upvotes
Vancouver
islackoff wrote: any passerby have any thoughts on this brand? most of their products are decently rated but seem maybe like they don't have a lot of longevity. just looking for any experience with insignia before I pull the trigger.
This particular model is a rebranded and long discontinued LG. Most Insignia major appliances like their top loading washer and fridges are made by Midea.

$329 for 6,500 SACC is an okay price, given we are peak AC season. This thing is based on old tech and you can tell because it sucks 1,100W to output 6,500 SACC. Most modern units are under 1kW for this output.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
2468 posts
2339 upvotes
Province of Bring Ca…
NavieM wrote: I bought the 12000 btu one and tried it in my living room and it cools down nothing but the area right infront of it

I know closed off rooms work better but I was hoping it going to be a bit better. Still better than not having one at all, though, and I paid cost since nephew works at BB
AC should be paired with fans or air circulator to increase cooling efficiency. I know in GVA AC is not a necessity 10 years ago so people probably don’t have this common sense. As someone growing up in East Asia who frequently encountered 35c + 90% humidity in the summer, we’re taught to turn on fans along with AC to save electricity, and that’s a very big difference
May 19, 2010
548 posts
232 upvotes
Guelph
Not this exact model but I've been using an Insignia window AC unit (think 12000BTU) since summer of 2019 with no issues so far. The thing cools the apartment fairly quickly. We also have two fans to circulate into the other rooms better
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
9868 posts
18109 upvotes
Montreal
Bad deal. As Spinner has showed, that thing sucks as much electricity as the Danby from Costco but the cooling capacity is only half. In the long run you end up paying much more in electricity than what you saved on the ticket price. Wait for a Danby restock at Costco.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
1801 posts
2303 upvotes
Spinner wrote: This particular model is a rebranded and long discontinued LG.
Source???

it's a Shinco KY20F1

it doesnt look like LG, doesn't sound like LG, does't feel like LG.
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 6GB UNLIMITED CARP voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
2468 posts
2339 upvotes
Province of Bring Ca…
Temporel wrote: Bad deal. As Spinner has showed, that thing sucks as much electricity as the Danby from Costco but the cooling capacity is only half. In the long run you end up paying much more in electricity than what you saved on the ticket price. Wait for a Danby restock at Costco.
In the long run? How many hot days are there in BC each year? Let’s say a month = 30 days. If this one consumes 1kw more than the costco one each hour and you turn on the AC 10 hours per day, that’s only additional 300 kWh = $30-$40 per year. I seriously believe not everyone needs a $600 portable AC. It’s a decent one but not everyone needs it. If the $300 one can do the trick for the most needy days then that’s enough.

And also do you think those portable AC can last 10 years? Come one Danby is not Hitachi Panasonic or Daikin, not even close to those high quality Japanese brands.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
9868 posts
18109 upvotes
Montreal
naticom wrote: (...) If the $300 one can do the trick for the most needy days then that’s enough. (...)
10 hours per day? Who runs an A/C when it's hot and humid for 10 hours only per day?

That's precisely in "the most needy days" that you will regret your purchase the most for you'll be barely able to keep a small room bearable with the door closed.

Don't trust the 450 Sq. Ft. stated for the Insignia. The Danby which is rated for 600 Sq. Ft. has 12,000 BTU SACC. The Insignia is 6,500 BTU SACC. That's half the cooling power for that single hose design model yet it claims 75% of the Sq. Ft. 450 Sq. Ft. Can't you smell that there's something fishy here? Suit yourself.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)