• Nov 26th, 2020 6:10 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 10, 2018
4 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary, AB

[Best Buy] Kobo Clara HD $119.99

Also available at London Drugs for the same price.
https://www.londondrugs.com/kobo-clara- ... 76666.html

6-inch Carta E Ink touchscreen display with 1072 x 1448 resolution and 300ppi print quality combine to offer a natural, print-like reading experience
ComfortLight PRO automatically changes colour temperature to help reduce blue-light exposure
8GB of on-board memory can store up to 6,000 eBooks, giving you a personal library right at your fingertips
512MB of RAM allows the reader to handle the most demanding content
Recharges in an hour and offers weeks of battery life on a single charge
32 replies
Aug 2, 2006
150 posts
103 upvotes
Calgary, AB
PM opportunity at Visions for an extra $4.50 off.
Jan 26, 2011
535 posts
310 upvotes
Gatineau
If anyone is looking for it, the resolution is great on this device, I would make the comparison with my old Kobo 2 which looked like an inkjet printer and this one is closer to the quality you get from a laser printer.

My major annoyance is that on the Clara HD they got rid of the back light button that was present on older models. If you open the book in the dark you have to find the "Settings" button which is impossible without an external light. You can swipe the left of the screen to turn the light on, but only if you are already in a book, not in the menu or the home page, and sometimes if you want to reduce brightness it turns off and if you try to turn it on again but the screen registered your movement as highlighting text or checking the dictionary, and you're out of luck you need to find a light to fix your mistake.

Other than that, it is a great e-reader.
Aug 4, 2014
15 posts
19 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I wish Kobo's and other e-readers would come down in price, especially the large screen version. I find no reason to upgrade my ancient one except for a larger screen and those are pricy. Also I prefer Kobo's but Kindles are so much cheaper right now. $74 for a 6 inch one for black friday. Though their .mobi format annoys me.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4474 posts
1043 upvotes
Guelph, ON
NomanS154 wrote: I wish Kobo's and other e-readers would come down in price, especially the large screen version. I find no reason to upgrade my ancient one except for a larger screen and those are pricy. Also I prefer Kobo's but Kindles are so much cheaper right now. $74 for a 6 inch one for black friday. Though their .mobi format annoys me.
The Kindle model you're referring to is the cheapest model as has lowest PPI and really is base ereader.

Kobo gives you easy access to Libraries where can read ebooks for free, so more than easily make up for the additional cost. Not to mention Kobo Clara HD ia a much better ereader.
Aug 4, 2014
15 posts
19 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
sixer wrote: The Kindle model you're referring to is the cheapest model as has lowest PPI and really is base ereader.

Kobo gives you easy access to Libraries where can read ebooks for free, so more than easily make up for the additional cost. Not to mention Kobo Clara HD ia a much better ereader.
True. But all that would have been irrelevant to me since I only read books. The reason I don't by a kindle is that it can't read epub. I currently use a kobo touch and that's even more basic than the kindle. But it does what I need it to do. Can't see a point of upgrading unless it's for a bigger screen.
May 6, 2006
172 posts
83 upvotes
Victoria
NomanS154 wrote: True. But all that would have been irrelevant to me since I only read books. The reason I don't by a kindle is that it can't read epub. I currently use a kobo touch and that's even more basic than the kindle. But it does what I need it to do. Can't see a point of upgrading unless it's for a bigger screen.
The newer models have the frontlit screen and some have the orange LEDs for night reading and no eye-strain. Allows you to read in bed without disturbing your partner.
I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic
Feb 3, 2008
186 posts
199 upvotes
Montreal
Would this be a good option for reading PDFs? (text based PDFs with a scanned articles here and there (nothing with pictures)) I don't mind having to convert to another format using Calibre if necessary.
Feb 24, 2018
410 posts
196 upvotes
You should try to find a cheap 7" tablet if you want PDFs. E-Readers are clunky with them and don't have colour.

I think I'll get the Kobo, I'm reading epubs on my tablet mostly these days so might as well do it on a device that will be easier on the eyes than a tablet. The Kobo seems easier to just copy epubs to compared to the kindle where you have to jump through a hoop to convert the epub file first.
Feb 24, 2018
410 posts
196 upvotes
Looks like the price has dropped again to $119 on other retailers as well now, Staples, TheSource, Amazon, Indigo, etc.

Gonna see if the CAA or Virgin Mobile or SPC discounts work on TheSource and try to get it from there.
Nov 21, 2016
62 posts
107 upvotes
Ottawa
For anyone using older Kobo's, the newer Kobo's have overdrive integrated into the Kobo. It synched with the app Libby. No more connecting to computers and using that junk Adobe software. Check out a book from Libby, synch your Kobo and done.
I debated the cost of the forma for a while, then bought it on sale. It was very worth it. It's a much nicer reading experience.
Nov 28, 2016
116 posts
56 upvotes
Googie74 wrote: For anyone using older Kobo's, the newer Kobo's have overdrive integrated into the Kobo. It synched with the app Libby. No more connecting to computers and using that junk Adobe software. Check out a book from Libby, synch your Kobo and done.
I debated the cost of the forma for a while, then bought it on sale. It was very worth it. It's a much nicer reading experience.
How much the sale price was it you paid for Forma?
Nov 21, 2016
62 posts
107 upvotes
Ottawa
Dwarfff wrote: [
How much the sale price was it you paid for Forma?
$50 off. They only go on sale once a year. It was either last year or 2 years ago
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4502 posts
1945 upvotes
AB
Forma is on sale at the moment, but only $30 off. I am waiting for a better discount.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2077 posts
1313 upvotes
Cambridge
Really liking my Clara HD after upgrading from my original Aura. The screen resolution is noticeably sharper and I like the orange light at night, as well as having Overdrive built in.
Sold my Aura for $80 a few months ago.
Mar 11, 2011
849 posts
318 upvotes
Toronto
boxchevy wrote: Would this be a good option for reading PDFs? (text based PDFs with a scanned articles here and there (nothing with pictures)) I don't mind having to convert to another format using Calibre if necessary.
No. These readers don't handle pdf files well. A tablet would be better.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4134 posts
4235 upvotes
Vancouver
boxchevy wrote: Would this be a good option for reading PDFs? (text based PDFs with a scanned articles here and there (nothing with pictures)) I don't mind having to convert to another format using Calibre if necessary.
The pdf capability of e-readers should be considered an emergency fallback if you don't have a better pdf device available. There are two issues:

1. It's painful when you are trying to read a pdf document with pages larger than the e-reader screen, The newer eInk screens have a faster response time than they used to, but the display still can't pan and scroll smoothly and quickly.

2. Colour images don't render well on a monochrome screen with limited grey scale.

Kobo and Kindle e-readers unfortunately do not have the ability to reflow pdf text to fit the screen (the old Sony e-reader is the only one I know of that could do that), so even if the pdf document is text-only, it doesn't help.

Calibre MAY be able to convert the pdf document to a more readable epub or mobi format.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1729 posts
646 upvotes
Toronto
Googie74 wrote: For anyone using older Kobo's, the newer Kobo's have overdrive integrated into the Kobo. It synched with the app Libby. No more connecting to computers and using that junk Adobe software. Check out a book from Libby, synch your Kobo and done.
This has been a game changer for me. You definitely have to be more flexible as you rarely will get a popular book immediately. But once you have a backlog of books on hold you can keep them in a perpetual waitlist essentially. I've been reading so much more and the 21-day deadline gives me a bit more motivation to maintain my reading pace. I used to use Calibre to side-load epubs, but much prefer using Overdrive / Libby.
Apr 16, 2018
2 posts
I just picked up a Kobo Clara at RCSS (in Sherwood Park, AB) last night for $89. Double the GST also off this week. It was with all their Black Friday electronics. That said, most of my books are from Kindle so it's a bit of a hassle..I might return it.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4502 posts
1945 upvotes
AB
Scote64 wrote: Kobo and Kindle e-readers unfortunately do not have the ability to reflow pdf text to fit the screen (the old Sony e-reader is the only one I know of that could do that), so even if the pdf document is text-only, it doesn't help.
Calibre MAY be able to convert the pdf document to a more readable epub or mobi format.
Does KOReader on Kobo improve pdf reading?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)