[Best Buy] Lenovo Duet Chromebook 2-in-1: $399 - preorder

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 7:38 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2007
483 posts
232 upvotes

[Best Buy] Lenovo Duet Chromebook 2-in-1: $399 - preorder

Was looking for a good tablet/chromebook for my 10 year old and this chromebook has good value for the price and has amazing reviews. The Best Buy one is better then the one on lenovo's site as it is cheaper and comes with a 128GB SSD instead of eMCP.

Lenovo Link

CNET Review

Specs
--------
- 2.0GHz 8-core MediaTek Helio P60T processor and 4GB of LPDDR4x RAM ensure smooth and lag-free performance while you're working on multiple applications
- 128GB solid state drive (SSD) offers faster storing and retrieving speeds for your project files and other media files
- 10.1" Full HD IPS touchscreen display with 400 nits renders bright, clear visuals with lifelike colours in 1920 x 1200 native resolution
- Ultra-thin 9.13mm narrow bezel gives you more screen space for enjoying your movies, games, and other content with minimised visual clutter
- Integrated 802.11AC Wi-Fi allows you to access the internet from wireless networks
- Bluetooth 4.2 technology quickly pairs up with your Bluetooth-enabled devices such as smartphones, tablets, wireless headphones, and more
- Built-in 2-cell lithium polymer battery gives you a runtime of up to 10 hours when the device is fully charged
- USB-C port (supports display port) allows you to connect external storage devices, display units, and other peripherals
- Integrated webcam makes it easy to connect with friends and family members through video chats
- Compatible with USI pen (sold separately) to draw sketches and jot down notes
- 2-in-1 Chromebook comes with a detachable bilingual keyboard with 5-point pogo pin and magnet design to quickly turn the laptop into a compact tablet
- Pre-loaded with Chrome OS (bilingual) that integrates with other Android devices
137 replies
Feb 17, 2018
88 posts
58 upvotes
Great product but not a hot deal.
Although it's 419 on Lenovo.ca for 64gb.
Aug 30, 2007
379 posts
169 upvotes
jarrodrporter wrote: Great product but not a hot deal.
Although it's 419 on Lenovo.ca for 64gb.
If you don't think it is a hot deal, are you able to elaborate on what you would consider a better deal?
The shopper inside me is curious.
Nov 21, 2005
337 posts
8 upvotes
What are these chromebooks best for?

How's the variety of chrome apps in comparison to android apps?
Nov 17, 2014
354 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SwooshICE wrote: What are these chromebooks best for?

I know people using it as a full time laptop.
Runs all the android apps aswell.
Not sure about any gaming potential but useful for most of the other work
Koodo
Oct 19, 2015
72 posts
52 upvotes
Québec
I doubt the presence of a real SSD in this product.
The 64Gb offered by Staples isn't SSD. No SSD on Lenovo web site neither for both models...
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1883 posts
1178 upvotes
Montreal, QC

My main computer is a desktop computer with two monitors and my second computer is a Chromebook. I'm typing on this right now. It's the perfect companion for anything web related. My Chromebook's weight is 1.5 pound, try to beat this with a normal laptop, even the "compact" ones. It's like having a tablet with a real keyboard, with a bigger screen than most tablets. I think the battery on mine can go for 10+ hours. Chrome OS has very little overhead on top of Chrome, so it will use less power than a Windows laptop. If you need this for Windows specific apps, then it's not a good choice for sure.
Last edited by willy0275 on Jul 12th, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Feb 17, 2018
88 posts
58 upvotes
sgtplunder wrote: If you don't think it is a hot deal, are you able to elaborate on what you would consider a better deal?
The shopper inside me is curious.
A "hot deal is a sale price reduced from regular retail. This is simply a great priced new product.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1850 posts
982 upvotes
Markham
nigre33 wrote: I doubt the presence of a real SSD in this product.
The 64Gb offered by Staples isn't SSD. No SSD on Lenovo web site neither for both models...
We need to confirm this somehow as well.
-------
Thank you
Aug 14, 2019
544 posts
266 upvotes

The better question is what are their limitations?
Apr 1, 2015
286 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I did some research as per discussion on another board

Some people seem to have misconception of Chromebook, including me. It actually changed a lot for the past few years. If you are patient enough you can even write light code with it under Linux

Its major con to me is limited functionality in their MS office suite
Apr 1, 2015
286 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto, ON
willy0275 wrote: My main computer is a desktop computer with two monitors and my second computer is a Chromebook. I'm typing on this right now. It's the perfect companion for anything web related. My Chromebook's weight is 1.5 pound, try to beat this with a normal laptop, even the "compact" ones. It's like having a tablet with a real keyboard, with a bigger screen than most tablets. I think the battery on mine can go for 10+ hours. Chrome OS has very little overhead on top of Chrome, so it will use less power than a Windows laptop. If you need this for Windows specific apps, then it's not a good choice for sure.
Just curious, are you a developer by chance?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1883 posts
1178 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Terabithia wrote: Just curious, are you a developer by chance?
Yes but I do zero techie stuff with the Chromebook, 100% web browsing, email etc.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Jun 17, 2018
69 posts
135 upvotes
Android Studio now works on ChromeOS, so now Chromebooks can actually be used for serious development: https://developer.android.com/studio .

CrossOver ChromeOS can be used to run some older Windows apps on ChromeOS as well: https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-chromeos .

Unfortunately, both of these options are limited to x86 based Chromebooks so will not be available on this Chromebook.