Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14" Touchscreen 2-in-1 Laptop -Grey (AMD 5 4500U/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/Win10) $949.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2021 9:20 pm
[OP]
Mar 11, 2004
399 posts
101 upvotes
Ottawa

[Best Buy] Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14" Touchscreen 2-in-1 Laptop -Grey (AMD 5 4500U/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/Win10) $949.99

Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14" Touchscreen 2-in-1 Laptop -Grey (AMD 5 4500U/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/Win10)

More Information
2.1GHz AMD Ryzen 5 4500U hexa-core processor and 16GB of RAM offer powerful performance, allowing you to multitask, stream videos, and browse seamlessly

512GB solid state drive (SSD) provides ample space for fast start-up times and smooth data access

14-inch Full HD touchscreen display with 1920 x 1080 native resolution offers crystal-clear and detailed images

Wi-Fi (2x2 802.11ac) lets you connect to wireless networks, hotspots, and other devices

Bluetooth 4.1 links up with compatible peripherals, such as wireless mice, headsets, and more

51Wh, three-cell lithium polymer battery offers up to 10 hours of use for non-stop play or work

Two USB-A 3.1 ports, one USB-C 3.1 port, and an HDMI port let you connect to a range of accessories

Multi-mode design includes laptop, tablet, tent, and stand modes that allow you to go from 0-degree to 360-degree orientations in a flash for the optimal experience

Physical shutter on the built-in webcam prevents unintentional capture of images to ensure privacy

Preinstalled Windows 10 operating system provides enhanced stability, security, and a host of features

User Guide
Power Cable
AC Adapter
Lenovo Digital Pen * Included*

I think this is a pretty good deal if not already discussed.

I guess the Costco deal is better for in-store as it includes a 2nd year Warranty and faster processor 4700.
Last edited by deluxster on Feb 13th, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
32 replies
Mar 26, 2004
316 posts
182 upvotes
Ottawa
Is it possible and are parts available to swap out to English keyboards on these? Any impact to warranty by doing so? Having a real hard time finding what I'm looking for.
Jun 22, 2009
936 posts
279 upvotes
Kitchener
I read in various Lenovo threads that people just remap keys...
dfm74 wrote: Is it possible and are parts available to swap out to English keyboards on these? Any impact to warranty by doing so? Having a real hard time finding what I'm looking for.
Слава Україні!
[OP]
Mar 11, 2004
399 posts
101 upvotes
Ottawa
Zhopa wrote: But this one included the pen... How much is the pen by itself?
User Guide
Power Cable
AC Adapter
Lenovo Digital Pen

Pen included in the Best Buy one too...

The Costco deal is better if you can get it in store plus the 2nd year warranty and faster processor 4700.
Jan 14, 2015
16 posts
23 upvotes
York, ON
44.99 with perk discount on the lenovo website free shipping
Jul 12, 2020
20 posts
5 upvotes
Ontario
Minus the touchscreen part, the components (u series processor, 16gb ram, 512 GB add, bt 4.1) are overrated. You could probably get something on par (performance wise) for 700 or less without the touchscreen.

If touchscreen is something you really really want, I guess this is OK ish.

But then again, u series processor means no heavy computational workload, plus a 16gb ram, probably means you can only use it for browsing internet, watching videos and maybe some basic office word/excel/ppt stuff. No gaming, no graphic processing, maybe light coding and no large data processing. I'd just grab a $400~600 notebook without touchscreen if I'm just using it for light school work kind of usage (minus touchscreen).
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1394 posts
3993 upvotes
Calgary, AB
xChao20 wrote: But then again, u series processor means no heavy computational workload, plus a 16gb ram, probably means you can only use it for browsing internet, watching videos and maybe some basic office word/excel/ppt stuff.
This is not accurate. 16GB RAM is plenty enough for much more than the basic tasks you listed. 8GB is enough for all the things you listed.

The CPU is totally capable of heavy workloads. It may take longer than non-U processors, but then you might as well argue to get a desktop PC instead of a laptop.
Jul 27, 2014
645 posts
440 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Price in title....
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1396 posts
726 upvotes
Hamilton
Have this laptop since last summer. Paid almost same amount with tax and was under 1K with 2 year onsite extended warranty.

It's a great laptop when it runs. Got black screen when tried to run regular windows update last week (BIOS or MB toasted?) and luckily we had premium support otherwise had to ship it to Lenovo (depot) which is not fun.

FYI: Ideapad is their entry level series. I'd buy Think series for better built or something that offer onsite support for a reasonable fee. IMO this one (Lenovo in general) mostly does not offer reasonable extended warranty.

FYI2: This one have PCIe SSD, which is faster than SATA SSDs however I always make a copy/clone SSD when I complete installing all apps via a SATA cloning docking station and so far their is no docking station to PCIs/MVMe SSDs. I'd not buy it if I knew although PCIe is more future prof.
Sep 27, 2008
42 posts
4 upvotes
Markham
Got this one from Costco. It is surprisingly heavy! I may return it just because it's heavy, and the bilingual keyboard is annoying.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2237 posts
3195 upvotes
How bad is the bilingual keyboard on this and the Costco model?

Layout differences and forced additional key combos?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1055 posts
876 upvotes
Edmonton
I remember when 128MB of ram was considered a game changer... back in the dialup internet days

That said, the Costco deal is much better
Oct 30, 2020
77 posts
108 upvotes
xChao20 wrote: Minus the touchscreen part, the components (u series processor, 16gb ram, 512 GB add, bt 4.1) are overrated. You could probably get something on par (performance wise) for 700 or less without the touchscreen.

If touchscreen is something you really really want, I guess this is OK ish.

But then again, u series processor means no heavy computational workload, plus a 16gb ram, probably means you can only use it for browsing internet, watching videos and maybe some basic office word/excel/ppt stuff. No gaming, no graphic processing, maybe light coding and no large data processing. I'd just grab a $400~600 notebook without touchscreen if I'm just using it for light school work kind of usage (minus touchscreen).
This is laughably wrong. Everything you said is dead wrong.

I used this for gaming, programming, movies, multi-tasking, displaying to larger screens, photoshop, and so much more. Like seriously, if you don't know what you are talking about don't spread false information.
Jul 12, 2020
20 posts
5 upvotes
Ontario
Whatthetick wrote: This is laughably wrong. Everything you said is dead wrong.

I used this for gaming, programming, movies, multi-tasking, displaying to larger screens, photoshop, and so much more. Like seriously, if you don't know what you are talking about don't spread false information.
LOL, you can use it doesn't mean it's good. U-series processors are not meant to be used for any of the heavier things I listed. You're way better off with H-series laptop. And I see you avoided all that in your response and every other things you "do" (besides gaming) are what I said this laptop can do but you can also do equally well with a cheaper model.

You said "I used this for gaming, programming, movies, multi-tasking, displaying to larger screens, photoshop, and so much more."
Let's see things you listed,
  • Gaming? I wouldn't call playable Civ6/CS:GO/League of Legends on lowest setting anything good for gaming.
  • Programming? Yep I didn't say it won't do programing
  • Movies? Yep I said streaming's fine
  • Multitasking? Yep I said it'll be fine
  • Displaying to larger screen? PPT, checked. I'm hoping you're not thinking this is anything computational.
  • Photoshop? Yeah, I did mentioned graphic processing but not sure what you really do in Photoshop. Anything serious the CPU won't cut it. Go check benchmark.
So you've agreed with all my comments on what it could do and refuted none.

Not sure what your problem is. But either tell me I'm wrong at it's not good for gaming/heavy data computation (for example MATLAB)/graphic processing (real Photoshop counts but I don't think that's what you're doing tbh).

And if you can't, then tell you can't achieve the rest of the stuff like browsing/movie/light coding/presentation equally well with a cheaper laptop.

So all I'm said was, if your usage doesn't involve the heavier stuff and you don't need the touchscreen, then ditch this and a 600~700 laptop (on sale of, this is RFD) is a better deal. Tell me if that's false info.
Jul 12, 2020
20 posts
5 upvotes
Ontario
blyndfyre wrote: This is not accurate. 16GB RAM is plenty enough for much more than the basic tasks you listed. 8GB is enough for all the things you listed.

The CPU is totally capable of heavy workloads. It may take longer than non-U processors, but then you might as well argue to get a desktop PC instead of a laptop.

True to the 16gb point you got there.

Though I was saying U-processors are not for heavier stuff (comparing to H-series in laptops, sry forgot to be clear). So I'd rather avoid U series instead. Guessing it's personal preference but I understand the role U-series processor in ultrabooks (lightweight+portability).

And my main point was for all the things this laptop (ultrabook) can do, if you ditch the touchscreen you can get a way cheaper deal without compromising usability.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2014
1055 posts
876 upvotes
Edmonton
xChao20 wrote: True to the 16gb point you got there.

Though I was saying U-processors are not for heavier stuff (comparing to H-series in laptops, sry forgot to be clear). So I'd rather avoid U series instead. Guessing it's personal preference but I understand the role U-series processor in ultrabooks (lightweight+portability).

And my main point was for all the things this laptop (ultrabook) can do, if you ditch the touchscreen you can get a way cheaper deal without compromising usability.
In terms of raw performance, would you say the Dell Inspiron 5505 15" R5 4500U that people were promoting in another thread (~510$ on Valentines day) better than this?