• May 1st, 2020 9:48 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3528 posts
1328 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] Lenovo Smart Clock - $49.99

Been eyeing this for a while. Looks like it is back on sale for $49.99 at Best Buy

Thread Summary
72 replies
Feb 12, 2014
625 posts
1436 upvotes
vancouver
Can these install apps or watch YouTube?
Sep 4, 2016
89 posts
54 upvotes
Nova Scotia
AllanT232 wrote: Can these install apps or watch YouTube?
No. Also, I have one and its audio streaming has always been very unstable. I wouldn't recommend one, I plan to give the similar Amazon unit a go.
Jan 1, 2016
187 posts
187 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Clock radios (aging myself) are about 30-40 dollars for a decent one nowadays anyway so I'll give this a shot

Thanks OP
Dec 7, 2016
150 posts
106 upvotes
Works great. I'm used to google home minis and the display is a nice addition because it shows you a timer/stopwatch/music playback control depending on your activity. Can't really customise or change a lot, but there are a decent amount of themes. mini usb at the back charges my headphones. Very good for 50bucks imo.

Edit: I should add that mic is a lot more sensitive than the google home mini and Nest Mini, often catching audio commands for those devices despite being in different rooms. I mean you may turn off lights or play music in the wrong room depending on how spread out/large your space is cause this clock seems to hear it all. Sound quality wise- its slightly worse than the home mini and a lot worse than the nest mini.
Feb 28, 2020
280 posts
651 upvotes
For those unfamiliar with this product, the screen is super small, like smaller than most phone screens even. So unless the clock is right next to your bed, it’s not going to be ideal.
Feb 13, 2008
397 posts
205 upvotes
Hamilton
I've got a couple from the $99 deal and we like them. Dim at night so they don't bother you, will show weather and temp. Play radio and stream music no problem before bed. Will display camera but not usable - I understand that is a limitation of Google home with my camera. You can't run anything else on them.
One thing that makes them less useful as a bedroom clock, I wouldn't trust them for an alarm - they loose their mind without an Internet connection. Seems a poor design that they can't at least function as a proper clock in that case.
I'd like to try the Amazon version just to see if the camera would work better.
Nov 3, 2018
306 posts
652 upvotes
questions for the peeps who have this clock. how would you compare the audio of this compared to say the Google home mini and Google home (original one)?

is the volume / audio comparable to the google mini?

or is it more comparable to the Google home (original one)?
Aug 10, 2013
454 posts
202 upvotes
Mississauga
AshleyB873419 wrote: No. Also, I have one and its audio streaming has always been very unstable. I wouldn't recommend one, I plan to give the similar Amazon unit a go.
Thanks, You save me money!
Thanks Op anyway!
Jun 7, 2013
368 posts
324 upvotes
GATINEAU
It's like the google mini... we use them daily for radio and never have issues
Jan 16, 2011
17 posts
7 upvotes
Montreal
supremePug wrote: questions for the peeps who have this clock. how would you compare the audio of this compared to say the Google home mini and Google home (original one)?
I have a Lenovo Clock, a Google Home Mini (original) and a larger Google Home (original). The Lenovo clock audio is similar to the Google Home Mini (original), maybe a tiny bit better, but it is not as good as the larger Google Home.
Dec 12, 2015
45 posts
92 upvotes
North Vancouver
This is a good price for the unit and I would recommend it as a clock but please do not use this as an alarm clock.

Three times since buying it, the wifi cut out in the middle of the night and the clocks shutdown. I think they may have fixed the issue now but they are unreliable for that one purpose (which is the main reason I bought it).

If you want a bedroom clock, I would recommend spending more and getting the 8 inch lenovo smart screen as those seem to continue showing the time when the Wifi is down.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
1209 posts
1021 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
I bought some of these alarm clocks for the same price during the Christmas sales, and we have been quite happy with them. I think it really comes down to what you are looking for in a unit. The Lenovo Smart Clock is not as fully featured as the Nest Hub or Nest Mini devices, but then again it was not designed to compete with them. Yes, the screen is small, but given that it is sitting on a bedside table for when you are sleeping, you don't need a large screen. If you are going to watch media, you're better off using a phone or tablet that you can position to match your sitting or reclined position. However, the photo display is a pleasant experience from up close, setting and changing alarms is quick and efficient, and the display dims nicely at night, much better than a conventional alarm clock. If you're looking for a single device to do everything in a smaller space, there are better options. If you're interested in a simple-to-use yet enhanced alarm clock, these are worth the price.
Apr 12, 2013
589 posts
516 upvotes
BC
LachlanM672345 wrote: If you want a bedroom clock, I would recommend spending more and getting the 8 inch lenovo smart screen
I'd say exactly the opposite, I have the 8" display by my bed and it's not good as display is far too bright and volume control at low levels is appalling. I'd jump on the clock but have heard audio isn't great so hesitant and looking for better options, but may give it a go at this price.

But I do love the Lenovo displays in living areas and just bought a third for my parents in the UK.
Dec 12, 2015
45 posts
92 upvotes
North Vancouver
AndrewBond wrote: I'd say exactly the opposite, I have the 8" display by my bed and it's not good as display is far too bright and volume control at low levels is appalling. I'd jump on the clock but have heard audio isn't great so hesitant and looking for better options, but may give it a go at this price.

But I do love the Lenovo displays in living areas and just bought a third for my parents in the UK.
Good to know. This one is good overall I just recommend if you have an important meeting at 8am, set a backup alarm. Everything else has been fine. Sound is pretty good for bedroom listening and one feature that is actually really worth the money is the sunrise alarm which slowly increases the brightness before your alarm.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1569 posts
168 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
LachlanM672345 wrote: Good to know. This one is good overall I just recommend if you have an important meeting at 8am, set a backup alarm. Everything else has been fine. Sound is pretty good for bedroom listening and one feature that is actually really worth the money is the sunrise alarm which slowly increases the brightness before your alarm.
How effective is the sunrise alarm? I have a Philips wake-up light which is amazing but I'd like to replace it with this unit for that feature.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2007
3255 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
anyone interested? i got one for sale brand new still sealed $50 no tax lol
Dec 8, 2019
129 posts
187 upvotes
Got one of these during bf last year for the same price.
Been pretty happy with it - I leave it in my kitchen so I can ask Google about the weather and traffic as I get ready to leave in the morning.
pepinlabulle wrote: I have a Lenovo Clock, a Google Home Mini (original) and a larger Google Home (original). The Lenovo clock audio is similar to the Google Home Mini (original), maybe a tiny bit better, but it is not as good as the larger Google Home.
Also had the original Home Mini for a while, agree that the clock sounds about the same / slightly better than the Home Mini.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4822 posts
1606 upvotes
Kingston
ChiGGz wrote: How effective is the sunrise alarm? I have a Philips wake-up light which is amazing but I'd like to replace it with this unit for that feature.
I tried it a few times. The clock is beside me on my bedside table. Problem is it's not directly in my line of sight. A bit lower then my bed, pillow may block it too. The screen is so small it doesn't really work that well unless it's right in your face.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
12135 posts
1937 upvotes
Vancouver
Where are people placing these home devices?