Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Lenovo Smart Clock $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2020 10:40 am
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11896 posts
24203 upvotes
volan wrote: Thanks, then I'll get the Show. Do you have the 5" or 8" Show?

I am currently using a 10" tablet and an alarm clock app but that tablet puts out way too much light.
I have the Echo 5, and when it goes into night mode, it's not bright or distracting at all.

15 minutes before the alarm is set to go off, the home screen gradually gets brighter showing just the time (instead of whatever background you set).

Once the alarm starts, I just swipe up to dismiss it, this way I don't wake anyone else by having to tell Alexa to stop.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37128 upvotes
I bought a Smart Clock in 2019, it's now smartly tucked away in a closet gathering dust.

It's surprising how much functionality one good smartphone replaces in your life. Keeps life simple.

It also explains why I go all-out on my cell phone replacements, each year. *

If COVID hadn't happened I would have started with the S20+ 5G at launch, skipped the Note (as always), and be eagerly awaiting the S21+/S30+ 5G. As it stands, I'm a late entrant to the S20+ *
Last edited by MrDisco on Oct 12th, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Nov 17, 2010
592 posts
343 upvotes
Thornhill
I clicked in for "Smart lock"Crying Face
Nov 16, 2003
845 posts
55 upvotes
Calgary
I wear glasses so I need the digits to be big so that I can read them without my glasses. Red digits on a black background are best for me. No distracting pictures or anything like that. Just basic clock. I'll probably keep the clock like that all the time. I don't really need too much else. I will not talk to Alexa because I won't want to wake my wife. I'll want to set and dismiss alarms right on the screen.

Is the gradual alarm a visual one that brightens? Or is there also an audible gradual alarm?
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
-- Jean Chretien
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13237 posts
12063 upvotes
Toronto
MrBear2019 wrote: This is very specific, but how good is the speaker on this to play white/brown noise while sleeping? Does it have a decent selection of sleeping music?
Might be ok for white noise, but for music is tinnier than a Home mini when I tried one. Ended up with a Lenovo smart display 8" which is way better.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1801 posts
1266 upvotes
I have this... I bought it when it first came out for $120. Something to take note of... People talk about how this is "basically a google home mini, with a clock/display". Thats not really true, because google homes can link up with a BT speaker. This thing CAN NOT connect to a better BT speaker... It can only act as a BT speaker itself... So if you're getting this thinking you'll use it as a clock, but when it comes time to actually stream spotify, you'll just tell it to connect to your BT soundbar, and pipe the music out of that, it wont work(this was my plan).
Also, maybe i just have a super generic voice, but after training my assistant to only work with my voice, it still gets activated when other people(or the TV) says "OK google"... Or sometimes if someone just says "OK"... So there have been times where i need to hit the hardware-mic mute switch.
One more thing, that i have not noticed lately, is it would drop the wifi connection, but it would regain it if i tapped the screen(almost like it was in a low power sleep mode where it turned off its wifi radio). As a clock, thats pretty stupid, since you're going to absent mindedly glance at it every now and then... and when theres no connection, the time does not display. But again, i have not noticed it doing that for the last 3-5 months.(was not a wifi connection issue either. My clock is literally 12' away from my router, with only 1 wall between them)
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11896 posts
24203 upvotes
volan wrote: I wear glasses so I need the digits to be big so that I can read them without my glasses. Red digits on a black background are best for me. No distracting pictures or anything like that. Just basic clock. I'll probably keep the clock like that all the time. I don't really need too much else. I will not talk to Alexa because I won't want to wake my wife. I'll want to set and dismiss alarms right on the screen.

Is the gradual alarm a visual one that brightens? Or is there also an audible gradual alarm?
Both.

Visually starting 15 minutes before the alarm is set to go off (this option is in settings)

Audible starting at the time you set the alarm (this option is in settings as well)

Just go through the onscreen menu, and pick whatever settings work best for you.

I think you will be very pleased with the Echo Show.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3149 posts
1952 upvotes
GTA
Scott86 wrote: I have this... I bought it when it first came out for $120. Something to take note of... People talk about how this is "basically a google home mini, with a clock/display". Thats not really true, because google homes can link up with a BT speaker. This thing CAN NOT connect to a better BT speaker... It can only act as a BT speaker itself... So if you're getting this thinking you'll use it as a clock, but when it comes time to actually stream spotify, you'll just tell it to connect to your BT soundbar, and pipe the music out of that, it wont work(this was my plan).
Also, maybe i just have a super generic voice, but after training my assistant to only work with my voice, it still gets activated when other people(or the TV) says "OK google"... Or sometimes if someone just says "OK"... So there have been times where i need to hit the hardware-mic mute switch.
One more thing, that i have not noticed lately, is it would drop the wifi connection, but it would regain it if i tapped the screen(almost like it was in a low power sleep mode where it turned off its wifi radio). As a clock, thats pretty stupid, since you're going to absent mindedly glance at it every now and then... and when theres no connection, the time does not display. But again, i have not noticed it doing that for the last 3-5 months.(was not a wifi connection issue either. My clock is literally 12' away from my router, with only 1 wall between them)
Would you recommend this or wait for echo/google device of the same category and cost a bit more?
I was just looking for something to show time and "hey google play 92.5" in the morning when i'm getting ready in my bedroom to be honest.
Nov 16, 2003
845 posts
55 upvotes
Calgary
IDStorms wrote: Both.

Visually starting 15 minutes before the alarm is set to go off (this option is in settings)

Audible starting at the time you set the alarm (this option is in settings as well)

Just go through the onscreen menu, and pick whatever settings work best for you.

I think you will be very pleased with the Echo Show.
Thanks. It's on sale right now on Amazon as a pre-Prime sale. I'll pick one up.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
-- Jean Chretien
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
8048 posts
8623 upvotes
Downtown Canada
redflagdealsguy wrote: I bought a Smart Clock in 2019, it's now smartly tucked away in a closet gathering dust.

It's surprising how much functionality one good smartphone replaces in your life. Keeps life simple.

It also explains why I go all-out on my cell phone replacements, each year. *

If COVID hadn't happened I would have started with the S20+ 5G at launch, skipped the Note (as always), and be eagerly awaiting the S21+/S30+ 5G. As it stands, I'm a late entrant to the S20+ *
I am skipping note 20. Sticking to my s20+ for now. I want to get something with Android Duo for my smart clock so that I could do video calls home from my cell
Last edited by MrDisco on Oct 12th, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited
Telus $30/75GB USA/CAN + $0 VVM (USA roaming + USA calling included) X 5 lines

Seeing ads while surfing the web? Get Ad Guard ad blocker.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1801 posts
1266 upvotes
lilmikey wrote: Would you recommend this or wait for echo/google device of the same category and cost a bit more?
I was just looking for something to show time and "hey google play 92.5" in the morning when i'm getting ready in my bedroom to be honest.
I mean you first gotta decide if you want google or alexa. Everything else in my place is google, so even though the echo clock is better, i still went with the lenovo.... that said, if i were to do it all over again, id jump up to the Nest hub(the cheap 8" one that occasionally goes on sale for $70-80). Better speaker, bigger screen, and most importantly, its a proper chromecast google assistant device. The lenovo clock is kind of in this weird middle ground, where the only video it'll display is a feed from a nest cam. The nest hubs will actually act like a chromecast display. Its a feature i'd NEVER use in my clock and i actually prefer the smaller screen of the lenovo, but having the lenovo with all these weird self-imposed limitations makes it a hard sell or a practical level.
Jul 13, 2007
427 posts
405 upvotes
Vancouver
bhrm wrote: Great idea but disappointingly tiny.
That’s what she said...
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3149 posts
1952 upvotes
GTA
Scott86 wrote:
I mean you first gotta decide if you want google or alexa. Everything else in my place is google, so even though the echo clock is better, i still went with the lenovo.... that said, if i were to do it all over again, id jump up to the Nest hub(the cheap 8" one that occasionally goes on sale for $70-80). Better speaker, bigger screen, and most importantly, its a proper chromecast google assistant device. The lenovo clock is kind of in this weird middle ground, where the only video it'll display is a feed from a nest cam. The nest hubs will actually act like a chromecast display. Its a feature i'd NEVER use in my clock and i actually prefer the smaller screen of the lenovo, but having the lenovo with all these weird self-imposed limitations makes it a hard sell or a practical level.
All my place is Google as well, but just get that one for Chromecast doenst make sense. Have a tv in bedroom with Chromecast on it so I send to that not clock beside bed. Maybe your device is best for me.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
This one is also on sale:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/le ... r=PDP_Reco

Haven't used it for phone calls but I did use my Google Nest Hub to make one this afternoon. My bud said there was no distortion at all and could hear me just fine. The Lenovo's can also do this but I've never tried. I have several of both but haven't hooked them up as of yet...
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25984 posts
10377 upvotes
Terabithia wrote: These smart speakers never get to have built in battery backup so they can retain the alarm clock functions during a power outage huh?
Since they are all connected to the internet, that won't work but maybe something like the clock would still function if it was plugged into a battery base, at least for the smaller units. I have a Jot battery base but I don't keep it connected all the time, just when I want to move the mini somewhere else in the house where no outlet is available...
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
isn't the echo show 5 for 59.99 a better deal if u got amazon ecosystem?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
Scott86 wrote: I mean you first gotta decide if you want google or alexa. Everything else in my place is google, so even though the echo clock is better, i still went with the lenovo.... that said, if i were to do it all over again, id jump up to the Nest hub(the cheap 8" one that occasionally goes on sale for $70-80). Better speaker, bigger screen, and most importantly, its a proper chromecast google assistant device. The lenovo clock is kind of in this weird middle ground, where the only video it'll display is a feed from a nest cam. The nest hubs will actually act like a chromecast display. Its a feature i'd NEVER use in my clock and i actually prefer the smaller screen of the lenovo, but having the lenovo with all these weird self-imposed limitations makes it a hard sell or a practical level.
The hub was on clearance recently at Indigo for 45$. That was a lava-hot deal. But I agree with you, the hub is awesome. If you have nest/google wifi, it can show a qr-code for the guest-network so your guests can just scan with their phone. But if you have a security warning on your google account, then it will just reboot when you ask it to show the qr-code! :)
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Oct 2, 2011
611 posts
600 upvotes
London
I've got 3 of them. They are perfect for the bedside, however, yes the speaker is tiny. If you're using it for white noise to drown out loud neighbours or something, you might use volume 40% on a Google Mini, but 70% on this. (I'm also half deaf, so my volumes are higher than most)
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3149 posts
1952 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP, ordered one, need something small and to play music in bedroom.
Dont want video phone calls or anything else so think this will work best for my needs.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1352 posts
689 upvotes
I have this Smart Clock. I bought it last year when it was on sale for the same price.

It is great for what it does, but one thing to point out (and it's a big one, IMO): Google has discontinued Google Play Music, and so a big part of the functionality of this device has been diminished for me. I had nearly 80GB of music on Play Music, and I don't like YouTube Music (which Google has forced users to). I now just use Plex to stream my music, and the Lenovo Smart Clock doesn't allow for the installation of apps (like Plex). So, I've pretty much lost the option to use voice commands to play music. Of course, if you use YouTube Music, you will presumably retain this functionality.

There is a workaround (I cast to the clock from my phone), but it is just that: a workaround. If you're thinking of purchasing this device and think it will stream your music by voice command, you should know the above.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)