• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2019 3:06 pm
[OP]
Dec 18, 2017
664 posts
1194 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Best Buy] Lenovo Smart Display 8" with Google Assistant $134.99

Some people hate it, others swear by it.

I think the people who'll get the most out of this thing are ones who already have some connected devices running within their home, such as Google Home, Philips Hue, smart switches and plugs etc.

This one has a camera (the similarly priced ones made by Google don't) and the speakers on this thing outperform the ones on a Google Home according to a few users, so I think it makes for a great kitchen display, maybe even on the nightstand.

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 10.19.13.png

They were actually on sale for $129.99 last night when I was at my local Best Buy, so I grabbed two. Checked this morning before posting, and the price went up by $5, so what do you think? Worth it at this price range?

Specs:
8" touchscreen display with 1280 x 800 resolution lets you watch videos, view content, and video chat with incredible image clarity
Built-in Google Assistant allows you to enjoy all the benefits of Google Assistant with the convenience of a display
Explore the options available in your area with Google Maps, follow recipes and tutorials, find out the weather anywhere in the world, and more just by asking
Manage over 5,000 smart home products in your home from the comfort of your couch
Dim the lights, adjust the temperature, or lock the front door, instantly and remotely
Hands-free video calling on Google Duo makes it easier than ever than ever to stay in touch with your loved ones
Powerful 10W full-range speaker with dual passive radiator expands the low-end bass range of your home audio, delivering clearer, more balanced sound
TrueBlock Privacy Shutter camera cover and microphone mute button help protect your privacy when your camera and mic are not in use
Rotate between portrait and landscape to select the orientation that suits your needs
2 x 2 Wi-Fi 802.11 ac, 2.4G/5G, MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2, and BLE connectivity make it easy to access the internet and connect to a range of other devices like speakers, TVs, and more
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 17th, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10039 posts
2665 upvotes
Warm deal - definitely has been a bit cheaper.

I own this one - it's excellent and the sound is very good for the size also. We use it all the time now, it sits nicely in our kitchen.
Sep 3, 2009
521 posts
176 upvotes
Calgary
Mine died after 7 months after I bought it, and looks to be a common issue after checking online. They won't cover the shipping fee for mail in service, so I don't recommend it.
May 10, 2010
253 posts
401 upvotes
London
I saw these on sale at my local BestBuy the other day. Costco has the Google ones for $129, but I kind of like the design of this one better for a nightstand. I'm tempted at this price, but I really think we'll see some good sales around Christmas.

I'm hoping to switch from Alexa, just because I use GPM, and all google services.
Jun 18, 2016
207 posts
453 upvotes
Chinese spyware company helping get American wiretap company in your house
Feb 15, 2005
566 posts
226 upvotes
Calgary
MooseV2 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 9:09 pm
Chinese spyware company helping get American wiretap company in your house
You must be fun at parties.

Anyways, great product. Have in bedroom, living room and the 10-er in my kitchen for slightly better viewing.

Use multiple times daily. Much better than normal GH.

Price has been better, and you can sometimes find 100 or less on Kijiji. Lenovo has new smart products coming out this year. I can imagine these getting cheaper and cheaper until clearance.
Jun 1, 2005
723 posts
108 upvotes
GVR
zywan0124 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 2:47 pm
Mine died after 7 months after I bought it, and looks to be a common issue after checking online. They won't cover the shipping fee for mail in service, so I don't recommend it.
Mine just died after 9-10 months or so. Did you bother getting it covered under warranty?
[OP]
Dec 18, 2017
664 posts
1194 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
whiteGSR wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 6:28 pm
Mine just died after 9-10 months or so. Did you bother getting it covered under warranty?
At the very least, your credit card should double the coverage, no?
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Jun 1, 2005
723 posts
108 upvotes
GVR
vancityguy0 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 10:24 pm
At the very least, your credit card should double the coverage, no?
I still have warranty under lenovo, but wondering if i should bother getting it fixed by spending $ to send it to them, or just move on from it completely I guess