• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2020 9:17 am
[OP]
Sep 13, 2006
67 posts
224 upvotes
Etobicoke

[Best Buy] LG 30 inch 21.8 cu.ft french door fridge -1199.99 + $80 delivery

They have seem to have added an energy rebate onto this LG fridge.

To see the $400 discount you have to add to cart and check out. There is a $80 delivery charge. Total price with taxes is: $1446.38
35 replies
Sep 5, 2009
274 posts
131 upvotes
Sigh. I just bought this fridge at costco yesterday for
1,494.99$ + tax. Would cancel but my fridge isn't cooling anymore and need it delivered asap.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4177 posts
2701 upvotes
Ottawa
rL wrote: Sigh. I just bought this fridge at costco yesterday for
1,494.99$ + tax. Would cancel but my fridge isn't cooling anymore and need it delivered asap.
I think if you toss some ice bags in there it'll help preserve your stuff until new one arrives and refrain from opening and closing door.
Feb 22, 2015
477 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
LG uses a Linear Compressor which is known to fail fairly quickly. I'm not sure if they fixed the issue with it but just know that your fridge has a high chance of dying within 5 years.
Last edited by Nobles on Jul 3rd, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 31, 2006
746 posts
166 upvotes
rL wrote: Sigh. I just bought this fridge at costco yesterday for
I'm in the same boat, my fridge crapped out so I've been looking for fridges and only a few places have quota left for the rebate. I ended up buying from Leon's as they had the rebate and free shipping. Lot of the fridges are on delay so I bought this from HD to hold me until then.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/danby- ... 1001184103

Hope this helps.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2624 posts
672 upvotes
I've had a very similar LG fridge for three years. Works great.
Nobody ever upvote me again. I have 600 upvotes and that is the PERFECT number. Don't hit that button. I know it's tempting given my high quality posts on RedFlagDeals.com, the best page on the Internet since 1998 - but please don't hit that button.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
3050 posts
608 upvotes
Ottawa
I wish some of the biggers ones were still in stock. When in the rebate go until? Any others doing the rebate online like this?
Pepsi WEH Winner - 4 for 5
Didn't win a Xbox X.. but next best thing. Scored at the Brick for $249! $300 off!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2010
2693 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto
Stay away from LG unless you want your fridge to die within 5 years. This is a bit better since it has no ice maker (more bells and whistles the higher chance of failure) but it’s still a LG French door.

Buy Whirlpool and top freezer if possible.
Sep 5, 2009
274 posts
131 upvotes
Nobles wrote: LG uses a Linear Compressor which is known to fail fairly quickly. I'm not sure if they fixed the issue with it but just know that your fridge has a high chance of dying within 5 years.
Did a google search on this and it seems like a lot of people are having issues with it too. Might just stick with costco because of the automatic two year warranty or..might look into a different brand all together. Do you have any recommendations?
Sep 5, 2009
274 posts
131 upvotes
Merc with a Mouth wrote: Stay away from LG unless you want your fridge to die within 5 years. This is a bit better since it has no ice maker (more bells and whistles the higher chance of failure) but it’s still a LG French door.

Buy Whirlpool and top freezer if possible.
My old fridge which stopped working lasted 13 years and it was a Whirlpool. Was looking to upgrade to a french style door though and initially thought LG was a good brand. Reading online, seems like its not the case..
Feb 16, 2006
999 posts
170 upvotes
Mississauga
rL wrote: My old fridge which stopped working lasted 13 years and it was a Whirlpool. Was looking to upgrade to a french style door though and initially thought LG was a good brand. Reading online, seems like its not the case..
LG is garbage in my eyes. I use to buy and sell appliances, and I can tell you, the worst made fridges comes from LG - NOTE: Please take what I say with a grain of salt - I quit the appliance game - these experiences were from around 2015.

I seriously got my hands on a brand new LG fridge (one of those 3k+ ones) and within days, the compressor died. Called the LG technicians to come and repair it, told me no - they couldn't ($1500 repair estimate)
Again, another LG fridge, it was the prior year model, same story, compressor died, technicians couldn't fix it (price of fixing it was worth more than the fridge - according to him).
Again, another LG fridge, it was a model from 2 years prior, same story, compressor died, technician couldn't fix because they don't make that compressor anymore.

Those are just compressor issues - I've encountered motherboard issues after 3-4 years of use, clogging of the water lines, ice maker ceasing function, etc.

Between LG and Samsung, the list of issues with a Samsung fridge is much less; however, Samsung dishwashers and stoves should be avoided like the plague.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1385 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
a_souljah wrote: LG is garbage in my eyes. I use to buy and sell appliances, and I can tell you, the worst made fridges comes from LG - NOTE: Please take what I say with a grain of salt - I quit the appliance game - these experiences were from around 2015.

I seriously got my hands on a brand new LG fridge (one of those 3k+ ones) and within days, the compressor died. Called the LG technicians to come and repair it, told me no - they couldn't ($1500 repair estimate)
Again, another LG fridge, it was the prior year model, same story, compressor died, technicians couldn't fix it (price of fixing it was worth more than the fridge - according to him).
Again, another LG fridge, it was a model from 2 years prior, same story, compressor died, technician couldn't fix because they don't make that compressor anymore.

Those are just compressor issues - I've encountered motherboard issues after 3-4 years of use, clogging of the water lines, ice maker ceasing function, etc.

Between LG and Samsung, the list of issues with a Samsung fridge is much less; however, Samsung dishwashers and stoves should be avoided like the plague.
What brand would you suggest? The mainstream? Whirlpool (and clones) and frigidaire?
JS
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1426 posts
1894 upvotes
my experience Insignia, Frididaire brand basic line product are pretty solid...
James Stonehenge wrote: What brand would you suggest? The mainstream? Whirlpool (and clones) and frigidaire?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1948 posts
1476 upvotes
James Stonehenge wrote: What brand would you suggest? The mainstream? Whirlpool (and clones) and frigidaire?
This is the question I always ask those who say stay away from LG etc and usually you will hear crickets when you ask this question

Every brand out there has plenty of negative reviews (even whirlpool/frigidaire has lots and lots of negative reviews online) unless you are willing to spend $4-6k on appliances like Bosch.
Feb 16, 2006
999 posts
170 upvotes
Mississauga
I unfortunately can't recommend stuff from today's market. I use to deal a lot with Samsung and LG because that's what customers wanted - everyone thinks because their TV or microwave is a Samsung or LG, it's gonna be amazing - they weren't.

I use a Frigidaire at home - its about 10 years old - and if i don't open it 100 times during the day (thanks Covid!), the fridge gets as cold as the freezer. I've had to turn up the temperature on it.
A secondary GE fridge lasted me about the 10 years as well, then the refrigerator motor started to go, but still, 10 years is 'good' compared to today's crap - the motor cost about 70-80 bucks, and i replaced it myself. sold it for 100 bucks a few years later on kijiji cuz i wanted a change (did a kitchen reno).

KitchenAid back in the day was solid as well, 15-20 years average life - sold my mother's fridge after almost 20 years of use - nothing wrong with it, she just wanted stainless steel.

Again, I quit the appliance game a few years ago, so I'm not up-to-date with what changes these companies have made. For me, if I ever need to buy a new fridge, I'm definitely gonna buy another Frigidaire.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2019
1478 posts
3325 upvotes
Canada
Why top freezer???
Live a little
Aug 5, 2017
418 posts
422 upvotes
LG has linear compressor problem, RUN RUN RUN
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2010
2693 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto
Jackji wrote: Why top freezer???
Top freezer because they tend to not include ice makers which increase the risk of failure. Side by side fridges with ice makers have the highest failure rate from what I have read.

I have gone through more than one LG French door fridge with all the bells and whistles and they fail like clockwork. The first fridge failed so often that it was replaced with a new model 5 years later through warranty (extended warranty). The new fridge also decided it would fail after 4 years.

This is only my personal experience but I will never touch another LG.
Last edited by Merc with a Mouth on Jul 3rd, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2733 posts
2035 upvotes
Calgary
Consumer Reports seems to love LG refrigerators. I am starting to doubt some of Consumer Reports assessments given things I read from “real people” on here.