Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

LG 30 inch 21.8 cu.ft french door fridge -1199.99 + $80 delivery

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2020 9:17 am
Jun 6, 2011
367 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa
Merc with a Mouth wrote: Top freezer because they tend to not include ice makers which increase the risk of failure. Side by side fridges with ice makers have the highest failure rate from what I have read.

I have gone through more than one LG French door fridge with all the bells and whistles and they fail like clockwork. The first fridge failed so often that it was replaced with a new model 5 years later through warranty (extended warranty). The new fridge also decided it would fail after 4 years.
Seems like a pretty huge logical step to take re top freezers if it's only due to the propensity for an ice maker... Are there any other reasons to avoid bottom freezers because I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who'd prefer a top freezer.
Nov 29, 2009
366 posts
503 upvotes
North York
Got a 33 inches LG two weeks ago at bestbuy with the Ontario energy saving..if it wasn't for the rebate I would have chose another brand..finger crossed it wi be okay...

P.s we went to the store and got free delivery. Maybe a good way to save that $80
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2010
2698 posts
1267 upvotes
Toronto
polish_jr333 wrote: Seems like a pretty huge logical step to take re top freezers if it's only due to the propensity for an ice maker... Are there any other reasons to avoid bottom freezers because I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who'd prefer a top freezer.
If you can find a good bottom freezer then go for it. If you can live without an ice maker then you will have a more reliable fridge overall.

Should note that my fridge had problems with the ice maker and compressor (multiple times).
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1517 posts
2418 upvotes
Anyone has experience with Ikea fridges (made by Whirlpool)? I'm eyeing the basic bottom freezer Betrodd with no ice maker. I'd appreciate any input, thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1823 posts
1835 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Never again will I connect a waterline to my fridge. There's a 1 in 1000 chance of a pinhole leak or something else going wrong.

Well, lucky me /cries
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5258 posts
7746 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
ben2003 wrote: my experience Insignia, Frididaire brand basic line product are pretty solid...
Actually, yeah, if you can live with the top-freezer Insignia's basic looks for $500-$700, I would recommend getting that: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/t ... rigerators

Top freezer without ice makers or water dispensers are the most reliable fridges out there.
James Stonehenge wrote:
What brand would you suggest? The mainstream? Whirlpool (and clones) and frigidaire?

adilh53 wrote:
This is the question I always ask those who say stay away from LG etc and usually you will hear crickets when you ask this question

Every brand out there has plenty of negative reviews (even whirlpool/frigidaire has lots and lots of negative reviews online) unless you are willing to spend $4-6k on appliances like Bosch.
I did a bit of research about this a couple of months back. I bought the Whirlpool french-door model, but I should have bought the Insignia and saved a bundle..

Here's a couple more links:

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... on-studies

https://www.cnet.com/news/repair-techni ... ppliances/

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/bid/8633 ... nce-brands

https://consumersane.com/most-reliable- ... tor-brand/

https://applianceassistant.com/New-Appl ... rators.php

fridge-just-died-advice-needed-good-brand-2329363/
Feb 6, 2008
170 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
I had a problem with LG fridge. It stopped cooling after 5 month at the end of May last year. Customer service was very bad, multiple technician came and gone and looked like they had no idea what where they doing. I had to take days off work every time they blessed me with a visit. It took them almost 4 month to replace it. We had to buy an additional fridge for the basement and run up and down the stairs every time. Mostly survived on take outs. Now, every time I hear a weird noise coming from a fridge I have panic attack:) .
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2004
1882 posts
1320 upvotes
Here's my own experience.

My 4 year old LG fridge (LFC24786ST) is now having issues. Fridge nor freezer get cold enough. Both set to the coldest setting (1C and - 21C) and only achieving like 7C in the fridge and 4C in the freezer. Had to move all frozen stuff to my standalone freezer and using the freezer as temp fridge while I await my LG repair appointment - which is 10 days from when it stopped working properly.

For the repairs, LG customer service gave me 2 options. $250 flat rate repair or they send a repairman and if it's just the compressor I'd just have to pay for labor. (compressor has a 10 year warranty). Since I'm not a fridge expert and have no idea what is wrong I had to go with the flat rate.

They have already rescheduled the appointment twice on me due to lack of repairmen. In the city of Edmonton they only have 1 local repair company (that is really just 1 single repair guy) that is an official LG repairman. Complete lunacy.

I spent $2000 on this fridge. I have a bar fridge that I bought in university (1996) that still runs strong. Do any manufacturers build anything these days that will actually last?
:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowl: :arrow: :arrowl: :arrow: B A
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5143 posts
2873 upvotes
GTA
Merc with a Mouth wrote: Stay away from LG unless you want your fridge to die within 5 years. This is a bit better since it has no ice maker (more bells and whistles the higher chance of failure) but it’s still a LG French door.

Buy Whirlpool and top freezer if possible.
Mine is 8 years old and works fine.
Feb 22, 2015
496 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
rL wrote: Did a google search on this and it seems like a lot of people are having issues with it too. Might just stick with costco because of the automatic two year warranty or..might look into a different brand all together. Do you have any recommendations?
I recently bought a Frigidaire because the compressor on my LG fridge stopped working. I was in a rush so I didn't do an insane amount of research, but LG and Samsung appeared to be the brands to avoid.

Major appliances aren't made like they used to be, and there are more moving parts now so things tend to break. Avoid an ice and water dispenser if you want a bit more peace of mind.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1200 posts
309 upvotes
Jackji wrote: Why top freezer???
Height for some people. There are few bottom freezers below 70”, so if you’re replacing a top freezer that has cabinets above you’ll need to modify the cabinets.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3424 posts
1073 upvotes
You can get delivery waived if you go in and negotiate. You can also get a slightly lower price.

I just did this last week.
Apr 28, 2007
335 posts
177 upvotes
Regina
rL wrote: Did a google search on this and it seems like a lot of people are having issues with it too. Might just stick with costco because of the automatic two year warranty or..might look into a different brand all together. Do you have any recommendations?
My LG fridge is over 5 years old and I'm pretty happy with it. it's this one . I understand that there is a class action lawsuit over the compressor issues, and a couple months ago I started to have problems with the freezer not getting cold enough. I vacuumed out the back and seems fine now. Hope to get at least 5+ more years out of it.
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5258 posts
7746 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
doctorgonzo wrote: Here's my own experience.

I have a bar fridge that I bought in university (1996) that still runs strong. Do any manufacturers build anything these days that will actually last?
Fridges with the exposed coils are long lasting. The one I had lasted for 14 years.

Speed Queen and Miele make reliable fridges according to Consumer Reports, but cost more than $2000. Maybe 2x or 3x that
Sep 5, 2009
282 posts
137 upvotes
Posting in case it might also help someone out:

I ended up cancelling my order because I got my fridge to work again. My freezer was working fine but the fridge was not cooling. Seems like the issue was ice build up at the back of the freezer - took off the freezer back component and melted the ice.

Similar to this video except I used a hair dryer to melt the ice buildup.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)